Rutherford County's Best Team Ever

shuttlesworth

2P im gonna let you slide on that 98 team since you had a son on that team BUT that team did lose a game to RIVERDALE...but since you had a kid on the team I will let that slide

i think the 94 and the 04 team were VERY GOOD teams...I am not at all familiar with the central teams. I think the RIVERDALE 94 team had more indidvidual talent than the 04 but as a team they both were really good 01 wasnt too bad either

Hahaahahahaha..........you knew I had to say the 98 team or get torched! We were a team of HOPE and dreams. It was such a magical time at Oakland. Not trying to take away anything from the 08 or the 84 teams in any way, but they were no comparison to the 98 team. I can't explain it....you just had to be there to see it. Pure glory.

The Riverdale 04 team was a machine. Full of swagger for sure.

The 94 Riverdale team was such a cut above every team they stepped on the field with. You just knew no one was going to hang with them the second they took the field in warm-ups. You were going......DANNNNNNNNNNNNG!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to wade in here as I am one of the few that actually watched the 1970 Central team and the other teams that have been mentioned. And yes I had friends on both the Smyrna and Central teams from 1970 and have a son that played on the 2004 team from R'dale.

First off the 2004 R'dale team had 8 shutouts and not 10. They SHOULD of had 10, but let a couple of teams get cheap scores. Like the safety at Dickson when Dave stepped in the hole and fell in the end zone there. Only team that really challenged them that year was Oak Ridge.

Got to say the 1970 Central team was far and away the best and toughest team, but the 94 and 2004 R'dale teams were faster.

I say this as the 1970 team did it with WAY more inferior equipment than we have now. Take the helmets for example. Helmets now can protect 10 times greater than the ones then. As to the shoulder pads, there are some ladies dresses now that have better now. The did NOT have the weight rooms the kids have now also. They got their weight training in hay fields in the heat!

In 1970 some of the teams Central played were a joke though. Smyrna was NOT the school it is today. Also Central did not have to go thru the playoffs we have now. If they had they might have lost a game.

Looking at the overall things in a modern aspect I would have to say either the 1994 or the 2004 R'dale teams would have given the 1970 Central team the best game. Only thing that would have helped the R'dale teams is the depth they had as the Central team was only about a third of the size.

Just an observation that I hope doesnt side track this thread...

As we are comparing these teams, all amazingly successful, only the talent of the players is being discussed. And yet when the teams in the interim "non amazing" years are discussed on other threads, its the coaches fault when they are not having fantastic years.

When a team wins, its because of the talent. When a team loses, its the coachs fault. We all know a coach cant win without talent. And yet some want to blame the coach when the talent really just isnt there, and then want to make ridiculous claims that the talent indeed is there.

Even bad coaches win with talent, and yet they are thought of as good coaches. Some of the best coaches are never recognized because they never get to coach a team so loaded as the teams we are discussing on this thread.

I know, I know, good coaches get the talent to play, blah, blah...None of that matters when talking about teams of the level we are talking about. Guys that think the talent is walking the halls every year and it only takes the right coach to get it to come out and play really have no idea what superior talent really looks like and how special it really is to have teams like the ones in this discussion. There is no way, ever, in any school, that year in and year out, this level of talent is in the building...and yet some foolishly think there is. And to think so only cheapens the achievement of those teams that have such amazing seasons as these.

OK lets discuss 'talent'. The 2007 R'dale team had one of the BEST O-lines I have seen on any of the teams discussed and what did the 'Coach' you love do with it? You do remember that O-line that ALL got D-1 offers!

Yes, when I see teams with talent being WASTED I get upset and say things about it. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

OK lets discuss 'talent'. The 2007 R'dale team had one of the BEST O-lines I have seen on any of the teams discussed and what did the 'Coach' you love do with it? You do remember that O-line that ALL got D-1 offers!

Yes, when I see teams with talent being WASTED I get upset and say things about it.

Couldn't agree more! The single best offensive line I've ever seen in high school football

Just an observation that I hope doesnt side track this thread...

As we are comparing these teams, all amazingly successful, only the talent of the players is being discussed. And yet when the teams in the interim "non amazing" years are discussed on other threads, its the coaches fault when they are not having fantastic years.

When a team wins, its because of the talent. When a team loses, its the coachs fault. We all know a coach cant win without talent. And yet some want to blame the coach when the talent really just isnt there, and then want to make ridiculous claims that the talent indeed is there.

Even bad coaches win with talent, and yet they are thought of as good coaches. Some of the best coaches are never recognized because they never get to coach a team so loaded as the teams we are discussing on this thread.

I know, I know, good coaches get the talent to play, blah, blah...None of that matters when talking about teams of the level we are talking about. Guys that think the talent is walking the halls every year and it only takes the right coach to get it to come out and play really have no idea what superior talent really looks like and how special it really is to have teams like the ones in this discussion. There is no way, ever, in any school, that year in and year out, this level of talent is in the building...and yet some foolishly think there is. And to think so only cheapens the achievement of those teams that have such amazing seasons as these.

There were plenty of years Rankin was down on talent.....98' young team lost star running for several weeks 12-1 00' offensive seinor skill players laid an egg and never showed up 13-2. 02' turned to a 60 to 40 pass run team after king ralph left the thrown to get the ball to a stand out receiver. He died or something in Lincoln Co. 3rd game of the year 13-2. You can find talent with in your team its there. In 02' dave thomas was 2nd team corner back up Qb. the running backs were sometiming so rankin move dave to running back and it save the season.

There were plenty of years Rankin was down on talent.....98' young team lost star running for several weeks 12-1 00' offensive seinor skill players laid an egg and never showed up 13-2. 02' turned to a 60 to 40 pass run team after king ralph left the thrown to get the ball to a stand out receiver. He died or something in Lincoln Co. 3rd game of the year 13-2. You can find talent with in your team its there. In 02' dave thomas was 2nd team corner back up Qb. the running backs were sometiming so rankin move dave to running back and it save the season.

You guys are killing me today! I don't ever try to agree with anybody... but you are right. The 2002 was Rankin's best coaching year!

Yes, when I see teams with talent being WASTED I get upset and say things about it. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

It takes more than an just O-Line to be in the ranks of the teams that are being discussed here.

Funny how you felt as if I was addressing you with my post.

Those stellar teams are rare. You seem to think R'Dale has the talent to have them every year. Thats silly. They don't. They never have. They never will. There are lots of other football teams around the state striving for their own rare and unparalled year. Guess what, they have their glory years too. And when they have theirs, R'Dale wont be having one. Thats the way it goes. You can't win them all, even R'Dale.

It takes more than an just O-Line to be in the ranks of the teams that are being discussed here.

Those stellar teams are rare. You seem to think R'Dale has the talent to have them every year. Thats silly. They don't. They never have. They never will. There are lots of other football teams around the state striving for their own rare and unparalled year. Guess what, they have their glory years too. And when they have theirs, R'Dale wont be having one. Thats the way it goes. You can't win them all, even R'Dale.

I don't agree you can win them all, but it takes a year around program with commitment a staff that demands it a staff that has little or no family life. Steve brittion Jr once told me i'v seen my father mroe in the past three years than i have in the last six and thats only becaues he was a junior and he played for his father. as soon as you start thinking you cant win them all you want.

Thats because you usually are when I question your football hero.

I will agree that some teams will not be there every year, BUT R'dale is used to having a chance to be there. If you will look you will see we WERE in the game for the gold ball for a few years STRAIGHT even with NO talent.

It also USED to be the question of LOSING was never brought up because it was unthinkable. Unfortunately it has been possible since the game in Chattanooga was thrown away. I will give Coach A credit though as he manned up and admitted it was HIS fault. Since then it has been a constant excuse of NO talent.

Thats because you usually are when I question your football hero.

I will agree that some teams will not be there every year, BUT R'dale is used to having a chance to be there. If you will look you will see we WERE in the game for the gold ball for a few years STRAIGHT even with NO talent.

It also USED to be the question of LOSING was never brought up because it was unthinkable. Unfortunately it has been possible since the game in Chattanooga was thrown away. I will give Coach A credit though as he manned up and admitted it was HIS fault. Since then it has been a constant excuse of NO talent.

I dont think anyone on any of these threads has said there is NO talent at R'Dale. Again, another of your silly, emotion driven assertions. The talent is down. When talent is down you dont get gold balls. Losing may have been unthinkable, but it happens. Otherwise, were are the 40 gold balls R'Dale should have prior to this past season?

And you just insulted all the other teams that didnt win a gold ball at R'Dale by stating they had NO talent. So you are the one talking about NO talent at R'Dale.

Your contribution to this thread has only cheapened the amazing accomplishments of a few very select Rutherford County teams.

In my earlier post, I pointed out that only player talent was being discussed during this talk about the best team ever in Rutherford County. Your assumption was that I was somehow alluding to R'Dale and Aydelott. Thats a little arrogant and a lot foolish. Aydelott has been there for only a few years. Is he the only coach at the only program in Rutherford County?

You really need to stop. My point is well proven in the words and direction of conversation of others that precede this post. When you have talent you win. That why the talent is credited with these amazing seasons, not the coach. And yet the coach is blamed when they dont win, and they dont win when the talent is down.

This entire thread and those that posted on it have proven that they believe that as well. Maybe they dont want to admit it, but their words prove they believe it.