Foul Ball question?

FridayMainEvent

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

catchman, i didn't think we were talking about a judgment call--i thought we were talking about whether or not a ball that lands in any part of the batter's box should be automatically ruled a foul ball.

I understand what we are talking about,, What in am trying to say is,, That most umpire cant see the ball when this does happen because of reasons,, So to cover theirselves,, They will say its a judgement call, Us old people have a hard saying what we want to say or explaning things. ha ha ///

Life is good.Lets go enjoy the games// /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

In your orininal question. ALL bases are inside fair territory including home plate so the foul lines would start at the back point of home plate and extend at a 90 degree angle to the fence. Thus, a ball lying in this area inside fair territory that and inside the batters box IS a fair ball unless it touches the batter while inside the batter's box where she is safe from having contact with a batted ball.

HOWEVER, a fair/foul ball is a judgement call by the umpire where ever it lands so it's wise to run out every hit ball until the umpire calls it foul. You can always appeal a call and try to get it changed at the end of the play if you think it's wrong. All umpires make an occasional mistake and a very few may not have a clear understanding of all the rules, especially complicated ones such as this, that's one reason they are "judgement" calls. As long as they are applied equilly to both teams I can understand an error in judgement.

catchman, i am also old--LOL--but the question in the original post had to do with whether or not all of the batter's box is considered foul territory if the 1st and 3rd base lines do not cut through it; there is no judgment about that. the answer is a resounding "NO!"

Yep, thats right,, but to cover theriselves, they will say its a judgememt call and I have better view than you do.. As we all know, if you argue to much. It only gets worse. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" .

Let um play.. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

.... i find it difficult to believe that an umpire told you that if a ball lands in any part of the batter's box it is a foul ball.

Rest assured, an umpire argued this point with me. Why else would I post a thread on the subject. If I said an umpire "told me" this, then there is no reason for you to "find it hard to believe"! As I've said three different times, I didn't agree with the call either.

Rest assured, an umpire argued this point with me. Why else would I post a thread on the subject. If I said an umpire "told me" this, then there is no reason for you to "find it hard to believe"! As I've said three different times, I didn't agree with the call either.

An umpire at Shelbyville Playday also made the call and argued the ball was foul..This was a TSSAA umpire

I have seen him call many games this year.

Maybe he'll see this thread and change his opinion... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Yes sir I was there and on the other side of that call.In my opinion it was not a judgement call.It was clear that this umpire did not know field bounderies and was wrong in his explaination to me.It is not automatically a foul ball if it is in the batters box.I dont know how long that ump has been calling it that way but I am sure he has had that questioned more than once because it is not the right call.But hey bad calls are and will always be part of the game.I have seen more bad calls this year in TSSAA than ever before.How long has that umpire been calling softball?

Yes sir I was there and on the other side of that call.In my opinion it was not a judgement call.It was clear that this umpire did not know field bounderies and was wrong in his explaination to me.It is not automatically a foul ball if it is in the batters box.I dont know how long that ump has been calling it that way but I am sure he has had that questioned more than once because it is not the right call.But hey bad calls are and will always be part of the game.I have seen more bad calls this year in TSSAA than ever before.How long has that umpire been calling softball?

I'm not 100% sure we are talking about the same guy. The guy who made that call against me was a super nice guy and except for that one call, did a very good job. I've seen him around before, but I don't know how long he has been doing it. He was a thin, black guy, probably in his late 40's. Like I said, I think he is a good ump, but for some reason, he missed that call badly.

I'm not 100% sure we are talking about the same guy. The guy who made that call against me was a super nice guy and except for that one call, did a very good job. I've seen him around before, but I don't know how long he has been doing it. He was a thin, black guy, probably in his late 40's. Like I said, I think he is a good ump, but for some reason, he missed that call badly.

Oh yeah we are talking about the same guy.Does seem like a nice guy and I agree he did ok with the rest of that game that day in Chapel Hill.I do think he should review his rule book though.