Volunteer Falcons 2009

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is Devin? Never heard of him.

Devin Rogers is starting RB at Volunteer. Last year rushed for 500 yards as a Freshman on Varisty which was a pretty big task since coach had the backs lined up 9 yards deep and he was getting hit in the backfield on almost every hand off. Had his biggest game of last year against Greeneville with over 150 rushing yards.

If the O-line at Volunteer can open some DB sized holes Devin will have an outstanding sophomore season.

I haven't heard anything about him transfering to DB though.

Volunteer will be much improved from last year....how much depends on a lot of things. I don't think the spring practice and scrimmage will be any indication of what kind of team we will have this fall. From what I get from my son, which is very little, there is a lot of shuffling going on with the O-line and backfield right now. There will probably be several sophmores playing quite a bit if my hunch is correct.

Top returners:

CB/WR Michael Franklin - SR

QB Luke Cradic -SR

WR/DB RJ Williams -SR

OT/DE Matt Brumett - SR

DT- OL Kenny Williams - SR

OL Frank Mutter - SR

OL Cody Estes - SR

TE/DE Austin Gray - JR

RB Devon Rogers - Soph

Several others that will be big contributors IMO - Jeremy Walters, Joe Marsh, Jake Crowe, Rusty Benton, Aaron Hillman, Heath Allen, Nick Mawk, Houston Harris, Michael Quillen, Jared Rogers, The Bowery Brothers, Jordan Lawson, Zack Moffitt, Josh Clark, Jesse Simpson, Peyton Arnold, and Sam Barton

I know I overlooked some but these are the ones I recall off the top of my head. How much better will all of these guys be and what positions will they fill? I definitely think we will need at least a couple of Sophmore linemen to play a lot. Where will Hillman play, OL/FB DT/LB? What about newcomer Josh Arnold, I hear he is doing well in practice. Also Shane Barnett is out this year, he's not very big but he ain't afraid of contact from what I hear. I look forward to seeing them scrimmage MoEast but I don't think we will see a starting lineup. MoEast will be very good this year so it will help the younger guys get a good taste of varsity football. After Friday's scrimmage the coaches should have a little better picture of where everybody needs to be. GO FALCONS!!!

I think Volunteer will be better than last season. A lot of good talent is returning for the 09 season. If the O line can get the job done they will be ok. I've heard good stuff about how things are going this spring. From what I hear Jared Rogers is looking good and I know he is going to football camp at Wake Forest this summer. I see him helping the O line this season as a sophmore. Jordan Lawson will be good in the backfield this season. He improved a lot last year. Jeremy Walters and Jesse Simpson will be contributing somewhere on D. Simpson also has great hands. Many others that I didn't mention are looking good and should see the field this season. IMO we will see a lot of young players step up this year. I'm ready to see how they look this friday against Mo East.

I think Volunteer will be better than last season. A lot of good talent is returning for the 09 season. If the O line can get the job done they will be ok. I've heard good stuff about how things are going this spring. From what I hear Jared Rogers is looking good and I know he is going to football camp at Wake Forest this summer. I see him helping the O line this season as a sophmore. Jordan Lawson will be good in the backfield this season. He improved a lot last year. Jeremy Walters and Jesse Simpson will be contributing somewhere on D. Simpson also has great hands. Many others that I didn't mention are looking good and should see the field this season. IMO we will see a lot of young players step up this year. I'm ready to see how they look this friday against Mo East.

I hope we have fair weather Friday night. East really need a good scrimmage as the bad weather--

baseball--and track has hindered what I would call a good Spring session. I expect Volunteer and

East to put on a good show for those attending . Both teams get a look at how those returning and

those moving up will help the team this fall. East lost several players from last years team and these

slots will have to be filled.

Have a good trip down and back . Play hard and good luck. Go Canes !

First I have to say it was great to see some football yesterday!

I have a great feeling about the team coming out of yesterday, I can't wait for August to get here!

Falcons looked really good, Great job on the play calling, the opiton was a great addition! We will be able to run so many different varations of the opiton.

The Offense was on point and moved the ball with ease.

Luke looked so comfortable yesterday, his foot speed is much improved and his presence in the pocket was excellent! The two times Luke kept the ball on the opiton his speed showed, picking up over 10 yards each time.

Devin on the second play showed his speed taking the screen pass 40 yards for the touchdown.

I can't wait to see Luke and Devin running the opiton this fall, throw in a full back(or second RB) and we will have teams confused not knowing where the ball will be going.

Also Michael Franklin on the offensive side of the ball at WR I think will be a natural fit, since he has great hands and good speed.

RJ Williams is a burner, his speed showed on the first play of the scrimmage.

Jordan came in when Devin went out and broke a long run for a td with great blocking.

Big props to the O-line, run blocking and pass blocking was pretty good.

It is great to see alot of young guys on the field that are going to contribute for the next 2 to 3 years.

Ok, so yesterday was my first time trying to record football, so hopefully with time I will get better.

I will be trying to record all the Falcons games this year and upload them to youtube.

When I get more time I am going to edit out all the boring lag huddle time and just show key plays, but until then here are a couple of videos from yesterday.

I will try to get more videos up, and also some of the defense.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nikebacksthefalcons

I hope we have fair weather Friday night. East really need a good scrimmage as the bad weather--

baseball--and track has hindered what I would call a good Spring session. I expect Volunteer and

East to put on a good show for those attending . Both teams get a look at how those returning and

those moving up will help the team this fall. East lost several players from last years team and these

slots will have to be filled.

Have a good trip down and back . Play hard and good luck. Go Canes !

A very good scrimmage by Volunteer--Hampton--and M.E.

Cradic was clicking with his passes as his receivers ran good pass routes. The line

opened some holes for good runs . Volunteer will be competitive this fall.

Hampton has a team that likes to compete . The teams on their schedule had better

prepare for a knock down drag out game. M.E. has a lot of work to do in the secondary.

Overall--the three teams could see their weak and strong points.

Thanks for a good showing .

Hey Nike, I appreciate the video link. Good to look back and see it again.

I thought we looked pretty good for a spring scrimmage. You can't read too much into a spring game but still we looked pretty good. I think the coaches saw a lot of good things and also a lot to work on and it didn't appear that anyone got injured so overall it was a good day. I think we did a good job of getting our speed guys the ball in the open and letting them run with it. O line looked pretty good. Defense looked good at times, other times there were several guys moving around so it was hard to tell. The coaches should get all that worked out by August. Overall, I think we have the potential to be pretty good if we can continue to develop on both sides of the ball and identify where everybody needs to play.

Mo East looks to be strong once again and I know they were missing a few speedsters. Their O and D Line both looked strong,. Their QB showed he can run as did some of their backs.

Hampton will do well. Their QB and RB hit the hole and change gears well. They also have a couple of horses on the line to do the blocking/tackling.

Glad the weather held off and glad their were no injuries. Good luck to all this season.

GO FALCONS!!!