TWF State Freestyle & Greco Tournament

ghouse

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the results. Looks like some good match ups any great matches that stuck out?

Trey Stavrum vs Zach Johnson (145 freestyle semi-finals) - Back and forth battle between multiple time state medalists that couldn't have been any closer. Stavrum wins the 1st and 3rd periods by virtue of scoring last with the point totals even. Johnson won the second outright 2-1. That match couldn't have been any more of a heart attack on either side, Stavrum scored with maybe 2 seconds left to win the 3rd. Seemed to pickup a good bit of spectators and probably would have gotten my vote as best match of the tournament!

Cole Hayes vs Alex Johnson (140 freestyle semi-finals) - Battle of state champions that that drew a crowd to watch as Johnson outlasted Hayes in a good 3 period match. Johnson would go on to lose to another state champ, Stuart Doster, in the finals in 2 periods.

Kendall Kermick vs Cole Moseley (112-119 Greco final / 3rd round of pool) - match would determine the winner of the bracket. I believe it went 0-0 in the 3rd and Kermick got the reverse lift and Moseley was hit for a leg foul for the deciding point. Don't quote me on that one though.

Kendall Kermick vs Luke hall (112-119 Freestyle finals) - Another close back and forth match between previous state medalists that was won by Luke Hall vie pin in the second period (brackets posted online may not reflect this).

Brad Compton vs Cullen King (130 semi-finals freestyle) - Match was full of action with lots of points being scored. King pulled out a close victory at the end. This was a rematch of the 119 state consolation semi-finals that King won.

Junior 145 freestyle bracket - This one in general was just a blast as you had 5 state medalists in the bracket: Mark Simpson, Josue Brown, Trevor Herron, Zach Johnson, Trey Stavrum. That bracket was absolutely loaded and was fun to watch unfold.

Junior 140 freestyle bracket - 3 previous state champs: Cole Hayes, Alex Johnson, Stuart Doster

Junior 130 freestyle and Greco - 3 previous state runner-ups: Blake Hataway, Marvin Lopez, Alex Manley along with 2 state medalists: Cullen King, Brad Compton

Junior 152 - Both styles really put on a fun show with some nice throws. Between Chanse Hayes, Brandon Isbell, Vince Aguilar, and Adam Kilkenny there was a lot of action in those bouts ending with a lot of falls usually coming off someone's throws.

Brandon Brunner vs Cale Shelton (Schoolboy 98) - These kids had a couple of good battles in both styles. Both kids will be ones to watch as they move up. Very fun matches to watch. Not sure if we will see any rematches at SE Regionals because I think I heard Shelton was moving down to 91.

Those are a lot of the ones I remember as I was pretty occupied making sure the tournament kept moving throughout the day. Those also tend to be ones with kids I coached or others I just knew I wanted to see. I am sure there are some others that many could mention.

I'm 99.9% sure Luke Hall won 112-119 Freestyle........I know his bracket was messed up right before the championship match, he had to wait another hour of so for it to get started.

Trey Stavrum vs Zach Johnson (145 freestyle semi-finals) - Back and forth battle between multiple time state medalists that couldn't have been any closer. Stavrum wins the 1st and 3rd periods by virtue of scoring last with the point totals even. Johnson won the second outright 2-1. That match couldn't have been any more of a heart attack on either side, Stavrum scored with maybe 2 seconds left to win the 3rd. Seemed to pickup a good bit of spectators and probably would have gotten my vote as best match of the tournament!

Cole Hayes vs Alex Johnson (140 freestyle semi-finals) - Battle of state champions that that drew a crowd to watch as Johnson outlasted Hayes in a good 3 period match. Johnson would go on to lose to another state champ, Stuart Doster, in the finals in 2 periods.

Kendall Kermick vs Cole Moseley (112-119 Greco final / 3rd round of pool) - match would determine the winner of the bracket. I believe it went 0-0 in the 3rd and Kermick got the reverse lift and Moseley was hit for a leg foul for the deciding point. Don't quote me on that one though.

Kendall Kermick vs Luke hall (112-119 Freestyle finals) - Another close back and forth match between previous state medalists that Kermick took 2-1, 4-4.

Brad Compton vs Cullen King (130 semi-finals freestyle) - Match was full of action with lots of points being scored. King pulled out a close victory at the end. This was a rematch of the 119 state consolation semi-finals that King won.

Junior 145 freestyle bracket - This one in general was just a blast as you had 5 state medalists in the bracket: Mark Simpson, Josue Brown, Trevor Herron, Zach Johnson, Trey Stavrum. That bracket was absolutely loaded and was fun to watch unfold.

Junior 140 freestyle bracket - 3 previous state champs: Cole Hayes, Alex Johnson, Stuart Doster

Junior 130 freestyle and Greco - 3 previous state runner-ups: Blake Hataway, Marvin Lopez, Alex Manley along with 2 state medalists: Cullen King, Brad Compton

Junior 152 - Both styles really put on a fun show with some nice throws. Between Chanse Hayes, Brandon Isbell, Vince Aguilar, and Adam Kilkenny there was a lot of action in those bouts ending with a lot of falls usually coming off someone's throws.

Brandon Brunner vs Cale Shelton (Schoolboy 98) - These kids had a couple of good battles in both styles. Both kids will be ones to watch as they move up. Very fun matches to watch. Not sure if we will see any rematches at SE Regionals because I think I heard Shelton was moving down to 91.

Those are a lot of the ones I remember as I was pretty occupied making sure the tournament kept moving throughout the day. Those also tend to be ones with kids I coached or others I just knew I wanted to see. I am sure there are some others that many could mention.

I'm 99.9% sure Luke Hall won 112-119 Freestyle........I know his bracket was messed up right before the championship match, he had to wait another hour of so for it to get started.

That is not what the bout sheets I have show and hence what is reflected on the brackets. I only got to peek in on that match as it was occurring. There could have been a mistake on the bout sheet but it shows both periods going to Kermick.

That is not what the bout sheets I have show and hence what is reflected on the brackets. I only got to peek in on that match as it was occurring. There could have been a mistake on the bout sheet but it shows both periods going to Kermick.

Just got an e-mail confirming the win by Luke Hall from the Kermick family. Luke Hall by fall with a chicken wing in the 2nd period. I will change the results posted online tonight and edit my earlier post to reflect.