Consolidation of Club Basketball in Tennessee

The Tennessee Flight organization has been successful in reaching agreements with two of the premier girls basketball clubs in Tennessee--the Trotters and the Pride--to combine teams for girls in the 9th grade and above. The effect has been to attract the top girls from Knoxville, Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee onto the Flight exposure teams. This is not news but some of the consequences should now be becoming apparent.

This thread is a place to discuss the consequences of this consolidation. In discussing the consequences (good or bad), let's keep personalities out of the discussion and focus on the consequences of the consolidation itself.

Here are some questions that might be interesting to discuss:

(1) What has been the impact of the consolidation on the AAU state tournament, in terms of numbers, parity of competition and quality of competition?

(2) What is the impact on the girls? There are at least three groups for which to consider the impact:

(i) The star players who get invited to play with the Flight and get significant playing time;

(ii) The very good players who get invited to play with the Flight and who see little playing time;

(iii) The good players who do not get invited to play and who are no longer playing with very good and star players.

(3) What has been the reaction of the consolidation? Has it led to opportunities for new local organizations to start up who "market" themselves as basketball teams where girls do not have to travel to practice?

(4) What is the future of AAU basketball in Tennessee?

(5) What effect will the consolidation have on increasing the national reputation of girls basketball in Tennessee?

I think this could be good or bad depending on the situation of the teams. Here is what I see. In the 14u State this year the Flight played and looked good along with the Pride. Some of the parents had kids who play for both and played their child with the Pride in AAU which allows them to play with the group they have been with the longest.

1. If a girl is talented enough to get an invitation from an exposure organization and goes, it will help them with the college coaches. (Flight locked in with certain coaches)

2. Playing AAU will give them some of the same exposure just not with the stronger D-1 schools and coaches.

3. Playing for both teams might cause burn out or health issues with not enough time to rest.

4. Some parents are not looking to travel 4 hours one way for what they are getting in return but some think this is their only choice because of what they are told by those running the exposure organization, event cordinators of exposure and some high school coaches who these kids play for.

5. In 14u the AAU future is bright with strong teams playing both AAU and Exposure which can be done and should be done as the AAU National Office is also hosting exposure events.

As for the merger, if the Flight did not learn from the disaster with Memphis Elite and plans to tell the Team Pride who to play, when and where, then this won't last. The Pride should take a look at their web-site and realize they don't need the Flight, the Flight needs them. (At least their talented players who they have worked with since 8u)

I think this could be good or bad depending on the situation of the teams. Here is what I see. In the 14u State this year the Flight played and looked good along with the Pride. Some of the parents had kids who play for both and played their child with the Pride in AAU which allows them to play with the group they have been with the longest.

1. If a girl is talented enough to get an invitation from an exposure organization and goes, it will help them with the college coaches. (Flight locked in with certain coaches)

2. Playing AAU will give them some of the same exposure just not with the stronger D-1 schools and coaches.

3. Playing for both teams might cause burn out or health issues with not enough time to rest.

4. Some parents are not looking to travel 4 hours one way for what they are getting in return but some think this is their only choice because of what they are told by those running the exposure organization, event cordinators of exposure and some high school coaches who these kids play for.

5. In 14u the AAU future is bright with strong teams playing both AAU and Exposure which can be done and should be done as the AAU National Office is also hosting exposure events.

As for the merger, if the Flight did not learn from the disaster with Memphis Elite and plans to tell the Team Pride who to play, when and where, then this won't last. The Pride should take a look at their web-site and realize they don't need the Flight, the Flight needs them. (At least their talented players who they have worked with since 8u)

This is a very interesting topic and hopefully I can share some insight on all sides of the issue. Nothing personal needs to be read into this, it is my opinion in response to the questions mentioned and my experiences and observations. While we tend to see this as a Tennessee or Flight issue, these issues are going on across the country. The world of competitive girls basketball has changed a lot in the last 4-5 years, with the numbers in aau declining across the country and the number of exposure tournaments increasing and including ages as low as 13u. Just as people believe that the best way to get a college scholarship is to play spring and summer ball, now they feel these exposure events are more important than aau and they are starting to attend them at much younger ages.

The Memphis Elite decision to work with the Flight, and i would feel comfortable saying the same thing about the Trotters and the Pride, was based on our girls having access to the highest level of exposure events. In some cases it is also about not wantng to compete with the Flight for girls. We felt at the time it benefitted all of our girls to have this access. We quickly discovered that our organization and the Flight were oil and vinegar, nothing wrong with either, they just don't mix well together. The Flight's ultimate priority is to field the most competitve "Silver" team they can. This is their meal ticket, how they are judged not only by Nike but the folks who cover travel ball ie. Hoopgurlz, etc. The desire to accumulate the best talent extends well beyond Tennessee, as this year's team has four of its 5 starters from outside of Tennessee including all 3 of its marquee players from CA, DC and NY. You could make a strong case that they should drop the Tennessee from their name. They do want to roll up the best talent in the state, but have no problem going outside the state to find someone better. It is similar to college recruiting where the coaches are looking for better talent thant what they have every year.

On the other hand, organizations like Memphis Elite, Pride, and the Trotters are developing their area talent from the earliest ages. They too are constantly adding talent to make their teams better and it is not unusual to see better kids from surrounding states on their rosters. The challenge is to find the right balance between wanting to get better and kicking current kids to the curb. The same formula of putting the best TN kids together for certain events would work if these clubs worked together. The elite talent enjoys playing with one another, and it does draw the college coaches. However it is hard when the girls have played together for many years to take the best player(s) away. The biggest problem i have with the Flight model is what happens to the second and third tier players. They lose their marquee player and don't get as much attention. Teams that could have competed at a high level are now at a lower level. And the reality is they are not nearly as high a priority as the top team, both financially and in helping them get scholarships. Not saying they don't get seen or get offers, just not as high a level as if they were on a stronger team or a higher priority. Even more disturbing is this is now happening to top TN talent as the net is cast wider for players.

Ultimately we felt our Memphis Elite teams could compete at the highest level at these events, and we have done so. We do not need the Flight for access to these events because we have built our own reputation. The Pride and Trotters have done the same thing in the past and could do so again. Our mission is simply to help the girls in our program get better and play at the next level if they so desire. As to the issue of high school coaches pushing players to certain club programs and club programs pushing their kids to certain colleges, i will save that for another post. Suffice it to say there is a lot of politics out there, and a lot of agendas that have nothing to do with what is in a girl's best interests or heaven forbid what she would like to do.

In the end, these girls and their families have options, and they should choose the one that is right for them. We are blessed with a lot of talent in TN, far too much for any one program

This is a very interesting topic and hopefully I can share some insight on all sides of the issue. Nothing personal needs to be read into this, it is my opinion in response to the questions mentioned and my experiences and observations. While we tend to see this as a Tennessee or Flight issue, these issues are going on across the country. The world of competitive girls basketball has changed a lot in the last 4-5 years, with the numbers in aau declining across the country and the number of exposure tournaments increasing and including ages as low as 13u. Just as people believe that the best way to get a college scholarship is to play spring and summer ball, now they feel these exposure events are more important than aau and they are starting to attend them at much younger ages.

The Memphis Elite decision to work with the Flight, and i would feel comfortable saying the same thing about the Trotters and the Pride, was based on our girls having access to the highest level of exposure events. In some cases it is also about not wantng to compete with the Flight for girls. We felt at the time it benefitted all of our girls to have this access. We quickly discovered that our organization and the Flight were oil and vinegar, nothing wrong with either, they just don't mix well together. The Flight's ultimate priority is to field the most competitve "Silver" team they can. This is their meal ticket, how they are judged not only by Nike but the folks who cover travel ball ie. Hoopgurlz, etc. The desire to accumulate the best talent extends well beyond Tennessee, as this year's team has four of its 5 starters from outside of Tennessee including all 3 of its marquee players from CA, DC and NY. You could make a strong case that they should drop the Tennessee from their name. They do want to roll up the best talent in the state, but have no problem going outside the state to find someone better. It is similar to college recruiting where the coaches are looking for better talent thant what they have every year.

On the other hand, organizations like Memphis Elite, Pride, and the Trotters are developing their area talent from the earliest ages. They too are constantly adding talent to make their teams better and it is not unusual to see better kids from surrounding states on their rosters. The challenge is to find the right balance between wanting to get better and kicking current kids to the curb. The same formula of putting the best TN kids together for certain events would work if these clubs worked together. The elite talent enjoys playing with one another, and it does draw the college coaches. However it is hard when the girls have played together for many years to take the best player(s) away. The biggest problem i have with the Flight model is what happens to the second and third tier players. They lose their marquee player and don't get as much attention. Teams that could have competed at a high level are now at a lower level. And the reality is they are not nearly as high a priority as the top team, both financially and in helping them get scholarships. Not saying they don't get seen or get offers, just not as high a level as if they were on a stronger team or a higher priority. Even more disturbing is this is now happening to top TN talent as the net is cast wider for players.

Ultimately we felt our Memphis Elite teams could compete at the highest level at these events, and we have done so. We do not need the Flight for access to these events because we have built our own reputation. The Pride and Trotters have done the same thing in the past and could do so again. Our mission is simply to help the girls in our program get better and play at the next level if they so desire. As to the issue of high school coaches pushing players to certain club programs and club programs pushing their kids to certain colleges, i will save that for another post. Suffice it to say there is a lot of politics out there, and a lot of agendas that have nothing to do with what is in a girl's best interests or heaven forbid what she would like to do.

In the end, these girls and their families have options, and they should choose the one that is right for them. We are blessed with a lot of talent in TN, far too much for any one program

While elitebball and I disagree on a lot of things, this is a good post. We too tried the Flight partnership once and it just didn't work. The Flight are what they are, a top level NATIONAL exposure club. We are not, we try to focus on mostly regional kids who want to play college somewhere, some D1, some not. My only complaint about the whole situation is that there are still some folks in this for reasons other than helping the kids. Most of the ills of AAU would be solved if the ones doing the griping would get involved in the decision making process, I myself don't have time to do that and as a result, I don't complain much. (except to elitebball, haha) I think there needs to be a division between AAU and exposuure teams, period. Do one or the other, but not both. However, the powers in Florida at AAU headquarters think otherwise and that my friends is why AAU is in alot of trouble. Just my humble 2 cents worth.

This could be a first. I totally agree with Heavy D and ELITEBB After a few years in this no matter what angle you look at it from it all looks the same.

I dont know what the answer is but i do know we have enjoyed the AAU experience for the most part.

After battling windmills for so long you finally start focusing on the reasons you started this.

Sooo come what may we will take our kids and compete the best we can with who we have,coach them to the best of our abilities......and have some fun.

Let the ones who need the glory have it.....Let hoopgurlz sell there advertising. Let the exposure events brag about how many coaches had to shell out 400 bucks for a listing of players. But most of all let some kids learn the game,enjoy the relationships,and learn a true sense of team.

The feeling of serving something larger than yourself is a better feeling than all the accolades or hardware in the world.

While elitebball and I disagree on a lot of things, this is a good post. We too tried the Flight partnership once and it just didn't work. The Flight are what they are, a top level NATIONAL exposure club. We are not, we try to focus on mostly regional kids who want to play college somewhere, some D1, some not. My only complaint about the whole situation is that there are still some folks in this for reasons other than helping the kids. Most of the ills of AAU would be solved if the ones doing the griping would get involved in the decision making process, I myself don't have time to do that and as a result, I don't complain much. (except to elitebball, haha) I think there needs to be a division between AAU and exposuure teams, period. Do one or the other, but not both. However, the powers in Florida at AAU headquarters think otherwise and that my friends is why AAU is in alot of trouble. Just my humble 2 cents worth.

I'm speechless NSHD. I should retire now. The Wings do a great job in supporting AAU and getting their girls exposure. We have not had a problem doing exposure and aau. We were fortunate enough to win an AAU National Championship last year, something our girls and parents will always remember. We also competed in several exposure events which has paid off with college interest in our girls. We will use the AAU exposure showcase as a warmup for nationals and get our girls added exposure. AAU has made some moves in the right direction by reducing their nationals to 5 days.

What gets lost in all of this is how much fun the girls have as well as the parents. When the emphasis becomes win at all costs, the girls are the losers.....

I'm speechless NSHD. I should retire now. The Wings do a great job in supporting AAU and getting their girls exposure. We have not had a problem doing exposure and aau. We were fortunate enough to win an AAU National Championship last year, something our girls and parents will always remember. We also competed in several exposure events which has paid off with college interest in our girls. We will use the AAU exposure showcase as a warmup for nationals and get our girls added exposure. AAU has made some moves in the right direction by reducing their nationals to 5 days.

What gets lost in all of this is how much fun the girls have as well as the parents. When the emphasis becomes win at all costs, the girls are the losers.....

Elite. I agree with you on alot. But really hasn't the emphasis been about winning at all cost? I think that what went wrong with AAU.jmho.

Elite. I agree with you on alot. But really hasn't the emphasis been about winning at all cost? I think that what went wrong with AAU.jmho.

It is competive sports and there is a reason for the scoreboard so naturally the goal is to compete and try to win. But some do go too far and lose the overall focus. When the goal moves from the girls to self-promotion then that's when it starts to go downhill....

What is the purpose or point of AAU basketball, in everyone's opinion? Getting players the best looks possible with college coaches in attendance (including non Division I coaches), and getting them more playing time against good competition-or stockpiling the best players possible from every nook and cranny?