halls coach gone

bballfan32178

Halls coach was let go last week after one year. Became public today in news sentinel. Its evident he wasnt the right person for the job. Nothing personel, it just wasnt a goog fit. The girls team had 20 players on it and 15 of those were freshman. Only lost 2 seniors. They only lost one game on freshman team and won 9 games on varsity. They could have very easily won 14 or 15 ballgames. Hopefully the athletic director will get some good canidates that apply for job. Had 1 or 2 good ones last year but for some reason or another A.D. overlooked them? The girls and the community of halls put alot of time and heart into girls bball. Lets make everyone involved in girls bball happy and make the right choice this time!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halls coach was let go last week after one year. Became public today in news sentinel. Its evident he wasnt the right person for the job. Nothing personel, it just wasnt a goog fit. The girls team had 20 players on it and 15 of those were freshman. Only lost 2 seniors. They only lost one game on freshman team and won 9 games on varsity. They could have very easily won 14 or 15 ballgames. Hopefully the athletic director will get some good canidates that apply for job. Had 1 or 2 good ones last year but for some reason or another A.D. overlooked them? The girls and the community of halls put alot of time and heart into girls bball. Lets make everyone involved in girls bball happy and make the right choice this time!

If 15 of 20 players were freshmen, maybe winning 9 games wasn't such a bad job after all.

That said, you seem to be close to the program. Have they gotten much interest so far? Any names?

And this isn't any easy job. Just take a look at the records on CoachT the past 6 or so seasons.

I love parents!

I love parents!

After reading the account in the paper and hearing from a few close to the situation, I'm confused.

Lambert talked about how great a time it was but I heard everyone involved with the program has been disgruntled the whole year. Was he oblivious to all that?

A comment in the paper says that tryouts are next week. Do they have a coach picked out? Any names for those in the know?

tryouts for incoming freshmen are next wed. assistant coach will do tryouts which is alright. she does coach the jv and freshman team. they dont have head coach yet. they posted for it last week until end of next week. last years coach was not the only one that applied. they had a couple of other qualified candidates but the a. d. chose mr. lambert. as for boys coach doing both? randys good guy and coach. some of girls wished they had hired him for girls team last year. need someone like him though. good motivator and communicator.

tryouts for incoming freshmen are next wed. assistant coach will do tryouts which is alright. she does coach the jv and freshman team. they dont have head coach yet. they posted for it last week until end of next week. last years coach was not the only one that applied. they had a couple of other qualified candidates but the a. d. chose mr. lambert. as for boys coach doing both? randys good guy and coach. some of girls wished they had hired him for girls team last year. need someone like him though. good motivator and communicator.

Seems a bit strange that they'd go ahead and have someone else starting picking the personnel for the 2 younger teams. She may coach them but most coaches want to handpick which players they want developed.

Not a good idea to have one person coach both varsity squads. That's just too much. You only have x amount of time to put into coaching and all of that should be put into one team.

Keep us updated, bballfan. You seem to know a bit more than most on this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the position get more applicants this year as compared to last? Someone told me not many applied for it last year.

Anyone hearing anything about the timeline of this position? Interesting names?

For those that know the program, what SHOULD they do with this hire? There have been a lot of lean years recently.

Sounds like lambert had a jv roster trying to win ballgames vs varsity schedule. 9 wins sounds like a pretty good season considering lack of experience and youth. Good guy and solid coach. How many games did the boys team win (not sure, but don't think they won 9 games) with several upper classmen. May need to look at moving in another direction there also.

PS-it is not about motivation, it's about talent and experience. If players aren't self-motivated then they need help from home. Parents are the best motivators. Work hard, play hard and act like you care or don't play and get a job.

I love parents!

In this case the disgruntled parents appear to be completely in the right. From what I'm told Halls girls sports in recent years has suffered virtually every negative associated with high school sports. Favoritism, cronyism, a booster led coup and a sordid coverup have all been on the menu. The parents coming in now got a good look at what some of the kids before theirs suffered thru, and what some of the parents before them did, and enough is enough.

havent heard yet who or how many applied for job this time? last year i think they were 4 that applied. they probably should have hired brian selvage last year when they had a chance. he helped last years freshmen class win knox co. championship in middle school. would have been good fit at halls. players and parents wanted him but a.d. at halls didnt care for him. now he is locked in at karns. dont think he even applied this time because of last year. parents are the best motivators but your coach has to play a part in that also. good guy maybe. solid coach? didnt see it!

havent heard yet who or how many applied for job this time? last year i think they were 4 that applied. they probably should have hired brian selvage last year when they had a chance. he helped last years freshmen class win knox co. championship in middle school. would have been good fit at halls. players and parents wanted him but a.d. at halls didnt care for him. now he is locked in at karns. dont think he even applied this time because of last year. parents are the best motivators but your coach has to play a part in that also. good guy maybe. solid coach? didnt see it!

Though I am impatient to see whom they hire, I hope they take as long as it takes to find the right fit.

Don't know the guy you mentioned above but a young, enthusiastic coach that has a history of developing young talent are both things this job needs. Someone that will work the girls hard but also make it enjoyable.