halls coach gone

bballfan32178

Halls girls basketball has many problems:

#1 Their is no starter program. The Jr. Pro program is horrible! 1 hr a week for practice on half a court. Basically the kids get 10 hrs of practice for the season on 1/2 court.

#2 To much parent envolvement from the middle school level and higher. Once your kid reaches the middle school team parents should no longer be apart of the program. Parents need to realize that not every child is going DI...how many girls from Halls have ever gone D1?

#3 Parents are not realistic about what the program can do! If Pat Summit was coaching the team last year, how many games would they have won? Talent level at the high school level is weak because it hasnt been developed. No matter who the coach is they will have to spend 3/4 of the season working on basic fundamentals because their is no feeder program for Halls.

#4 You cannot change a program that has been unsuccessful for nearly a decade in 1 year! 5 coaches in 6 years, it seems like the school lets each senior class pick a new coach!

Lets get a coach who will stay with the program for 8-10 years, let him/her be involved in the Jr. Pro process, the middle school, and see what happens!

Halls was once a sports power house and now it is slipping away! Not just in girls basketball but every sport. Its seems like every week you hear of a Halls player transfering to another school. Some of the best players in several sports in Knox county started in Halls.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 Their is no starter program. The Jr. Pro program is horrible! 1 hr a week for practice on half a court. Basically the kids get 10 hrs of practice for the season on 1/2 court.

#2 To much parent envolvement from the middle school level and higher. Once your kid reaches the middle school team parents should no longer be apart of the program. Parents need to realize that not every child is going DI...how many girls from Halls have ever gone D1?

#3 Parents are not realistic about what the program can do! If Pat Summit was coaching the team last year, how many games would they have won? Talent level at the high school level is weak because it hasnt been developed. No matter who the coach is they will have to spend 3/4 of the season working on basic fundamentals because their is no feeder program for Halls.

#4 You cannot change a program that has been unsuccessful for nearly a decade in 1 year! 5 coaches in 6 years, it seems like the school lets each senior class pick a new coach!

Lets get a coach who will stay with the program for 8-10 years, let him/her be involved in the Jr. Pro process, the middle school, and see what happens!

Halls was once a sports power house and now it is slipping away! Not just in girls basketball but every sport. Its seems like every week you hear of a Halls player transfering to another school. Some of the best players in several sports in Knox county started in Halls.

Actually when Brian Selvage started helping at the Middle School the team had its first winning season in 5 or 6 years his first year. The first group of girls he coached as 6th graders won the championship as 8th graders. But then the ole boys at the high school ran him off to Karns and a lot of the girls from his AAU team quit because they didn't get to play under Turner and Lambert. Luckily a lot of younger girls up there now play for AAU teams and know better than to look for real coaching at the middle school. The question is will those girls go to Halls or go somewhere where they don't have to deal with all the politics.

A few things you hit on are absolutely correct.

#3: Realism by parents.

#4: Changing an unsuccessful program in 1 year....5 coaches in 6 years...I didn't know it was that bad. Involvement with the middle school is a dire need.

Tell me more as to how Halls was a powerhouse in every sport. I wasn't here years ago.

Luckily a lot of younger girls up there now play for AAU teams and know better than to look for real coaching at the middle school. The question is will those girls go to Halls or go somewhere where they don't have to deal with all the politics.

Ohhh I am shocked!!! AAU is the true path to basketball greatness!!

Im sure these girls are going to be awesome to coach when they get to high school with attitudes that AAU is the only place they will get "real Coaching"

We live in sad sad times....I truly miss the days when AAU wasn't Nirvana

Ohhh I am shocked!!! AAU is the true path to basketball greatness!!

Im sure these girls are going to be awesome to coach when they get to high school with attitudes that AAU is the only place they will get "real Coaching"

We live in sad sad times....I truly miss the days when AAU wasn't Nirvana

The truth hurts, huh?

Someone mentioned the other day that more applied this year than last. Not sure how accurate that is but that's the latest I've heard.

Any coach who can figure out to put the 6'2" girl around the basket instead of outside the arch, not to put the weakest defenders on the other team's best players and keep Carden on the court will compete for 2nd or 3rd in the district just by doing those things and getting out of the way. They probably could have gone 500 last year just by doing those three simple things. I believe the political climate has changed so they may hire a coach who's there to actually achieve something. With the players that are available and coming up on the AAU teams, it could be a good situation for several years to come for whoever is applying.

heard they may have made a decision on vacancy. let you know when im sure! axeman i couldnt agree with you more. when you have a 6-2 post player and you didnt utilize her to her potential, somethings wrong? yes she was a freshman but i seen her hold her own against upper classemen all year long. when you dont have her jump ball or when the opposing team is shooting free throws and you dont have her down low for missed shots. instead you have her at other end of court, again something is not right. very young team with alot of potential there. 6-2 players name is bennett, carden and keith at guard, chapman is one of the seniors that likes the 3 pointers, good shooter. another senior is evans and varner is junior. the rest are soph and incoming freshmen. yes they could have very easliy won 13 or 14 ballgames last year with that young of a team! i seen the bennett girl play aau last month in memphis. needs to get more physical, but that will come. good defender, shot blocker. cardens a ball of fire, can shoot and run the point.

heard they may have made a decision on vacancy. let you know when im sure! axeman i couldnt agree with you more. when you have a 6-2 post player and you didnt utilize her to her potential, somethings wrong? yes she was a freshman but i seen her hold her own against upper classemen all year long. when you dont have her jump ball or when the opposing team is shooting free throws and you dont have her down low for missed shots. instead you have her at other end of court, again something is not right. very young team with alot of potential there. 6-2 players name is bennett, carden and keith at guard, chapman is one of the seniors that likes the 3 pointers, good shooter. another senior is evans and varner is junior. the rest are soph and incoming freshmen. yes they could have very easliy won 13 or 14 ballgames last year with that young of a team! i seen the bennett girl play aau last month in memphis. needs to get more physical, but that will come. good defender, shot blocker. cardens a ball of fire, can shoot and run the point.

No fair. You can't say that and leave us hanging. Hints? Something about the person? Vet or young assistant? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Halls has had a problem because the ladies playing for the past few years became accustomed to losing, and decided that it was a social thing, not a sports thing, to do. So when you get a coach like J D Lambert in there who wants to win, want to teach, and wants to coach to win, then all of a sudden, it isn't "fun" for some players, and that is what I understand is what got him fired.

As I understand it, he and his staff had a review meeting with the AD after the season, and were told that while the AD would have liked more success (read wins), he was happy with the direction the team was going. The fact that they were competitve in more games than in previous years ( I believe the Oak Ridge gane where Halls was still in it going to the 4th quarter was cited as an example) and that they were getting coached up was discussed in the meeting. Based on that, JD had already made plans for the summer, a workout schedule, a take home packet including a shooting schedule for each player, and a camp schedule.

Then he gets called in to talk with the principal, and is told the principal had had meetings (without JD) with players (and I assume parents, but that is my assumption), and was told the girls were not having fun, and the administration wanted to go in another direction.

The 6-2 post player you are discussing didn't fancy herself as a post player. She wanted to play on the perimeter, and was constantly being coached in practice and in games to play inside. She was a freshman, and needs to get used to the idea of playing against some physically larger players. She also tweeked a knee at Christmas time, and so some of the positioning (IE, not on free throw line) might have been a aid to keep her from further injury. It also could have been a strategy to set up the press, by having her back and ready, rather than forcing her to run full court on the knee.

You can't get a better person or coach than JD Lambert. He knows the game, and knows strategy. How anyone expects a coach to come in and try to turn around a program without straining some feelings is beyond me. You have fun when you win, you don't when you lose. The games I saw last year, the girls coming out of the losing dressing room didn't look like the losses bothered them. JD knew he was getting some talent from the middle school program, and was trying to get the winning attitude infused in the lower classmen. If you tell someone to do something, and they fail to do it, is that bad coaching, or bad playing? I think they could have won more games last year if some key players had taken the coaching to heart. But you know, listening to the coach isn't much fun, when he is telling you to work hard, and all you want to do is make sure you makeup is on correctly.

And JD has another fatal flaw. He doesn't do politics. He doesn't bow down to anyone. And he isn't from the Halls community. So good luck to whomever comes in. If you have been reading this thread, then you know they expect you to go 20-6, beat Powell, Oak Ridge, etc, and get to State. This year. Oh, and by the way, don't make them work to do it. The girls just want to have fun.