Lets Overhaul the System

MVM

That is the plan Canes. I just got a hold of a secret weapon! And he has a long yellow and black vehical and said he would only charge me for fuel! So I am pressing the booster club to get out there and do that car wash!

Sorry, I thought every player had at least one parent who owned a Tahoe or a Yukon. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I thought every player had at least one parent who owned a Tahoe or a Yukon. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Nope ..... that's only the private school kids. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Nope ..... that's only the private school kids. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> , But I thought all the private school parents drove old junkers and never took a vacation because of the price of private school tuition. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Seriously, I do see the problem that west Tn. faces when it comes to soccer and club soccer. There is alot of area with not alot of "skilled" teams or dense populations for Club teams. Now don't take that statement wrong, There are skilled teams in West Tn., but compared to the population and to the rest of the state West Tn. is behind as a whole. It is still an area where Football and Basketball remain the dominant sports to play. That's why it doesn't matter which system we use in west Tn. they will have to travel for a while to get quality games until the areas outside of Jackson and the Memphis burbs catch up. JMO

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> , But I thought all the private school parents drove old junkers and never took a vacation because of the price of private school tuition. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Seriously, I do see the problem that west Tn. faces when it comes to soccer and club soccer. There is alot of area with not alot of "skilled" teams or dense populations for Club teams. Now don't take that statement wrong, There are skilled teams in West Tn., but compared to the population and to the rest of the state West Tn. is behind as a whole. It is still an area where Football and Basketball remain the dominant sports to play. That's why it doesn't matter which system we use in west Tn. they will have to travel for a while to get quality games until the areas outside of Jackson and the Memphis burbs catch up. JMO

There's something to that. In East TN (Knoxville), you've got the following cities within approximately 4 - 4.5 hours (300 miles): Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, W-S, Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, almost Raleigh / Durham. Obviously, there a a lot of good teams to be played from those cities.

Compared to that, Memphis has St. Louis (very good), Little Rock, Nashville, and Birmingham. That's good, but not as good.

There's something to that. In East TN (Knoxville), you've got the following cities within approximately 4 - 4.5 hours (300 miles): Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, W-S, Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, almost Raleigh / Durham. Obviously, there a a lot of good teams to be played from those cities.

Compared to that, Memphis has St. Louis (very good), Little Rock, Nashville, and Birmingham. That's good, but not as good.

For prep you are correct.

For club, Memphis complex alone (Mike Rose) attracts more quality teams. A large number of teams are usually present from most of those cities. What limits that is the conflicting seasons of club and high school compared to nearly the rest of the country. There is one exception that falls between fall and spring....GIT is a 4 weekend event with nearly 800 teams. We have occasionally guested a player or two from West TN rural areas...they figured it out.

Little Rock's Burns Park does okay, last years Nationals were held there.

now we are REALLY off topic.

Well since were in the summer doldrums waiting for the season to start. I thought it would be a good time to discuss the district changes, private vs public, rural vs urban and what would could be done that makes sense for all schools. I agree the merit plan would be the ultimate solution, but I really don't see TSSAA adhering to that plan, since that would require extra work on their part year in year out. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ...Sorry G

So this is my plan.....

Keep three divisions A, AA, AAA, but let each school every 4 years pick which division to play in (regardless of size, public or private, urban or rural), much like club teams do today. Keep the area of the district relatively the same areas but limit the the districts to 5 to 8 teams per district. For teams in AA and A the state champion and finalist would move up automatically at the end of each season and the bottom team or teams of their new district would move down. Which means you could only sand bag for one year. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I know this sounds simple, but why can't this work. What this would do is give the state a true Champion and let schools play against like opponents in their district and division. Much like the D3, D2, and D1 at the select/club level.

Personally I would love to see this district..

Question: What would you recommend for sc hools that might have a very good girls team but a weak boys team?

Soddy Daisy, Baylor, Notre Dame, GPS, Ooltewah, Cleveland, CCS and McMinn County.

But hey I've always felt to be the best, you must beat the best.

Gchunn.. Sorry I didn't see your question.

But the answer would be yes. Boys and girls would be handled separately. The ideal or my objective is simple, let teams play against like competitive teams regardless of sex.

I got the ideal after watching some D1 state league games and the D1 state tournament in the Boro a couple of weeks ago. I have been fortunate to ref the D3 state tourney and did quite a few D2 state league games and this is what I observed: Each division served it's purpose quite well. All the D1 teams in the league were without question better than most all D2 teams and D2 teams were better than most D3 teams that I saw.

Now with that being said I would have to say that the D2 Finalist and state champion would be competitive in the D1 state leagues (hence moving up to the next division) but would have a long row to hoe to beat the D1 state champion...but I believe they would be competitive and anything could happen.

This is how select/club does it. D3, D2, D1 is not based on how many members are in your association, or sex, or where your from. It's based on the level of each team and the work that each player, parent and coach wishes to put into their teams. It has worked quite well for club soccer over the last several years and I see no reason why it wouldn't work for HS.

Gchunn.. Sorry I didn't see your question.

But the answer would be yes. Boys and girls would be handled separately. The ideal or my objective is simple, let teams play against like competitive teams regardless of sex.

I got the ideal after watching some D1 state league games and the D1 state tournament in the Boro a couple of weeks ago. I have been fortunate to ref the D3 state tourney and did quite a few D2 state league games and this is what I observed: Each division served it's purpose quite well. All the D1 teams in the league were without question better than most all D2 teams and D2 teams were better than most D3 teams that I saw.

Now with that being said I would have to say that the D2 Finalist and state champion would be competitive in the D1 state leagues (hence moving up to the next division) but would have a long row to hoe to beat the D1 state champion...but I believe they would be competitive and anything could happen.

This is how select/club does it. D3, D2, D1 is not based on how many members are in your association, or sex, or where your from. It's based on the level of each team and the work that each player, parent and coach wishes to put into their teams. It has worked quite well for club soccer over the last several years and I see no reason why it wouldn't work for HS.

Agree completely, except someone in admin would have to change/work. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" It's pretty much auto-pilot now. A few posts ago it was mentioned about exceptional years, senior class influence, etc. I think it would need to change year-to-year based on the most recent year's results. Scheduling wouldn't be much different, and the coaches can plan ahead, as they do now. The real difference is at play-off time.

MVM, I am gathering you have had more years watching this than I. RE Prep, this will be my 8th year of following the prep scene, and I would like to add this before I comment on your suggestion. I have watched several programs rise from the ashes and I have also witnessed the demise of several programs in the 8 short years, this is both boys & girls. So, there must be something within the system to validate the talent and group them. It may be a simple number like the EPL, as each year, there would be a never-ending thread on who doesn't and who does belong now.

First, we would likely have to separate soccer from TSSAA. It is likely they would wish to keep all sports grouped the same. Despite their logic, we all realize how illogical this is in soccer. Now, on the average, how many bad matches are there each season? Three? Four? Is it really valid to overturn the entire system for these small number of matches? And then what, when playoff time arrives, will we not create more dissatisfaction as "all the best teams are in my group" increases exponentially?

Yes, I agree it would likely be a better system but it would require a complete overhaul of the system and a true understanding of the sport by TSSAA. I think we could overhaul the system, I will never admit that TSSAA understands this sport.

I don't think you are far away from defining it.

See you at Rivals???

In this morning's Commercial Appeal....

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. ??” The board of the Arkansas Activities Association recommended Tuesday that member schools reject a proposal that would order private schools to compete for separate championships.

Lance Taylor, the AAA??™s executive director, said the board voted 16-3 to attach a do-not-pass recommendation to that proposal. The board??™s vote is largely symbolic. The AAA??™s full governing body will vote on the proposal in August.

The proposal, supported by the Berryville and Harrison school districts, would separate private schools for postseason play. Private schools would still play public schools during the regular season.

Agree completely, except someone in admin would have to change/work. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" It's pretty much auto-pilot now. A few posts ago it was mentioned about exceptional years, senior class influence, etc. I think it would need to change year-to-year based on the most recent year's results. Scheduling wouldn't be much different, and the coaches can plan ahead, as they do now. The real difference is at play-off time.

I would agree with the year to year, but your right in that TSSAA would consider that to much work, Hence in selecting your classification every 4 years . /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I'm normally not a TSSAA basher, but it has become apparent to me that soccer is not exactly on their radar screen and that's a shame. Because IF TSSAA and TSSA would ever commutate and work with each other I think this sport would explode in the state.

Think about it, Football fans in the stands during the fall...and Soccer fans in the stands during the spring. And that equals money in the coffers of both organizations.