is this true? Bono leaving?

rgalvan

I don't pretend to know who the proper coach for UTC is at this time.

However, I do not think Jon Sioredas fits the bill. That is no knock on Jon as I think he is an excellent coach and a good person. I have had the pleasure of being at a few clinics he has done and had a lot of chances to interact with him. He is an excellent coach and person.

My reasoning is that he is naturally a risk as a young coach and I am not sure if he would be ready to handle the day-to-day runnings of the team. I think he would be an excellent addition to the staff if he were to wish it but I am not sure why he would leave the assistant position at ODU for an assistant position elsewhere.

UTC once again needs an experienced coach that can continue to build the program and guide what is certainly a good group of recruits in the room and on their way in. The challenge for UTC is how to end the revolving door that the job has been. They did not make bad hires in Bono and Brands but it was easy to see that they would likely eventually leave as their hearts were clearly set elsewhere, and who can blame them. The truth is UTC is a very important program not just to TN but to wrestling in the south as it is one of the more successful programs, but like most others it is quite possibly constantly at risk. A stable coach is needed but not someone who will run it into the ground and risk losing the program. For those of you that don't think that can happen please remember what ASU recently went through.

As I said, I don't know the answer as to what UTC needs for a head coach. If I did I would likely be an AD somewhere and not in my current job. However, I would be hesitant to take a risk on a very young head coach given the inherent risk that does come with the position itself. However, you could argue that getting a young coach who could potentially bond to the program oculd be the right choice as well, you just have to be extremely careful in choosing that coach if you do so.

I think Heath Eslinger would be another great pick! I think Heath or Jon (give a few years) can get the guys wrestling the way we like to see UTC wrestle. Having wrestled for both Brands/Heath, and wrestled with Sioredas, I can tell you they know the right way to run a successful DI wrestling program. I'm sure it would take a year or so to get fully adjusted to the role, but after that I think they would do just fine. UTC would be lucky to get one of these guys. They would be in it for the long haul, not just a stepping stone. As far as experience I think they are both more than qualified. Look at the wrestling programs and coaches they've been influenced by:

Sioredas: Great Bridge H.S (all the Martins), gotta be one of the top Gramby clinicians in the country right now, Missouri (1st 3 yrs of college), UTC (Brands, Fullhart, Hamilton, All-American), ODU (Martin, coached NCAA finialist this year). Eslinger: Bradley Central (wrestled and coached, great program), UTC (2nd most on wins list, close to AA status at NCAA's, and coached with Brands 2 yrs), Cleveland (I think he was TN coach of the year his first season) Yeah, they're both young, but that didn't stop Stanford from hiring Jason Borrelli last season as their head coach. He's the same age as Sioredas and never even earned AA status at NCAA's, only a 2x qualifier for Central Michigan. Both solid candidates and I hope we get one of them. If one of them gets the job I won't be one of the people surprised when they start having success!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a list of top coaches for UTC. A list with Head coaching experience and a list without.

Lee Pritts- from florida..long time div. I assistant

Jeff Regan- from florida long time div. I assistant

Steve Hamilton- Former UTC coach. solid pick

John Soriedas- UTC graduate could make sense, lacking experience could be gamble.

Jason Valek-Division II success at newberry

Frankie James- NAIA Head Coach, Former UTC Coach- Solid pick

Heath Eslinger- UTC graduate- GREAT pick. can't go wrong with this guy. give him some time.

Any other Head Coaches from the south interested or qualified?

Ben Reichel

I agree with Matt, I think Sioredas would be a great choice. It would be a good opportunity for him to have success as a head coach in a familiar area (Chattanooga). I also think he would have a positive impact on wrestling in this area.

I think Eslinger is a great coach but I would hate to see him leave Cleveland, he's on his way to doing great things over there and possibly changing the face of high school wrestling in Tennessee. From black to blue!

As an alumni of UTC I am very loyal to the UTC wrestling program and I think that it is very important for UTC to find a quality coach for the future of the program. UTC is the closest Division I program to Alabama, making it a great choice for kids from Alabama who want to wrestle at the next level (I coach at Hoover and went to UTC from Alabama, so that's important to me).

My #1 choice for Coach Bono's replacement is Heath Eslinger. Coach Eslinger was an assistant coach under Terry Brands when I first went to UTC and he did an excellent job of developing the student athletes on and off the mat. Coach Eslinger is a great role model for college age kids and he has had a positive impact on my life and has guided me through several very tough decisions. I feel like I could call him for anything and he would take time out to help me with whatever. I feel like that is a very important quality for a coach to have.

The past several coaches at UTC have been "big name" coaches. Coach Brands and Coach Bono did a great job but left for better oppurtunities when they came up. I think that this time UTC needs a guy who is willing to build a program for the future and who has loyalty to the program. Coach Eslinger graduated from UTC where he was a 3X NCAA qualifier and has lived around Chattanooga his whole life. I think that he would stay at UTC for the long haul and would be able to build UTC into a national power year in and year out. Other programs around the country have proven that you don't need a "big name" to be successful (Mizzou, Central Michigan, etc).

These are just my thoughts as an alumni of UTC.

I wish Coach Bono the best of luck as he goes back home to Iowa State.

Who are the coaches that have trained Bono since he left college and has been competing? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> Who ever gets the job, I hope they stick around. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

all i know is that in november...7 months ago...i sat face to face with bono and asked him...

are you going to leave? NO

how long do you plan on staying? 5 years minimum

What if a bigger/ better program came along? why would i want to leave here...i have the only show in town and i don't have to recruit against the rest of the big 10...and i get the best wrestlers in the southeast and i'm a big fish in a small pond...etc...etc...etc

What about if they want to pay you more? other schools? it's hard to imagine making tons more than i make now...UTC pays me well...i have my camps for income...we just built a house...money ain't everything...we love it here1

so i'm fine if bono leaves...but there is something that just does not sit right after this conversation i had with him!

and...a big take away is...if you are a recruit...do what is best for you!

hope UTC gets a good one that stays a long time to give the program some much needed stability!

As an alumni of UTC I am very loyal to the UTC wrestling program and I think that it is very important for UTC to find a quality coach for the future of the program. UTC is the closest Division I program to Alabama, making it a great choice for kids from Alabama who want to wrestle at the next level (I coach at Hoover and went to UTC from Alabama, so that's important to me).

My #1 choice for Coach Bono's replacement is Heath Eslinger. Coach Eslinger was an assistant coach under Terry Brands when I first went to UTC and he did an excellent job of developing the student athletes on and off the mat. Coach Eslinger is a great role model for college age kids and he has had a positive impact on my life and has guided me through several very tough decisions. I feel like I could call him for anything and he would take time out to help me with whatever. I feel like that is a very important quality for a coach to have.

The past several coaches at UTC have been "big name" coaches. Coach Brands and Coach Bono did a great job but left for better oppurtunities when they came up. I think that this time UTC needs a guy who is willing to build a program for the future and who has loyalty to the program. Coach Eslinger graduated from UTC where he was a 3X NCAA qualifier and has lived around Chattanooga his whole life. I think that he would stay at UTC for the long haul and would be able to build UTC into a national power year in and year out. Other programs around the country have proven that you don't need a "big name" to be successful (Mizzou, Central Michigan, etc).

These are just my thoughts as an alumni of UTC.

I wish Coach Bono the best of luck as he goes back home to Iowa State.

TJ, Great post, I couldn't have said it any better. Heath Eslinger would be an outstanding coach at UTC. I feel it is time UTC hire a coach that is not only willing to work hard, but a coach who is willing to stay the course at UTC and not use the position as a "stepping stone" for a higher profile job.

Heath is a UTC alumn that is not only qualified for the job, but he is a perfect fit. He has wrestled at UTC. He was an assistant coach at UTC. He and his wife are from the Chattanooga area. He is one of the top high school coaches in the south. He wants to be at UTC.

I've known Heath since I coached him in Kids Club wrestling and we've been best of friends ever since. Over the years I've followed his wrestling career and even had the opportunity to coach with him. He is one of the hardest workers I've known. He cares about his wrestlers, not only when they're on the mat but in the classroom and in life.

Heath is a great coach but he is an even better person.

My opinion is Heath Eslinger would be a great coach at UTC.

Alan Morris, Sr.

Walker Valley-Head Wrestling Coach

I agree that Heath Eslinger would be a great choice. He has wrestled in the system, spent time with the Brands, has developed a great program in Cleveland and is a man of character and conviction.

Heath would be a good choice. There is also another current Division I head coach that I think would interested in coming back to the south and making UTC a long term commitment. Casey Brewster is entering his third year as the head coach at Sacred Heart University. He has also served as an assistant coach at Rutgers and DII Belmont Abbey.