All-State Team

slappypappy

She must be your daughter.

I doesn't matter who she is, she deserved State level recognition. I saw her play at the Eastman Tournament and was beginning to believe that maybe she was not human. Outstanding athlete! not to mention pitcher. I am with Statman on this one. There is definitely a flaw in how the All State team is selected.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statistics can be deceiving.

I knew I was going to get some of this.

Yes, she is my daughter and Yes, I am very proud of her accomplishments.

As far as statistics being deceiving, I agree, they can...but a K is a K.....A win is a win.....A 4th place finish in the state is a 4th place finish in the state. As far as ERA, do a couple of sanity checks yourself. The softball page on coacht lists top defenses by total runs allowed (and a run is a run). In almost all cases you will find that the pitchers on the teams listed with the top defensive teams carry an ERA at about half of the runs allowed. For example, an earlier post stated that the Goodpasture pitcher had stats that weren't correct (ERA of 1.000) listed in the all state press release. That poster is correct. Goodpasture only allowed an average of .7 runs per game total. I am sure their main pitcher sported an ERA well under .5, probably in the .35 range.

My bigger point is this. There are areas of the state that don't get the media coverage necessary to make the all state team. I wish someone would fix that. There are other "daughters" throughout the IMAC for example, who are getting the same treatment and it will continue.

Don't the tri-cities media cover such teams?

With the exception of Tricitiessports.com who have done a good job covering IMAC, it seems the only coverage beyond scores out of tri-cities comes only when they play District 1 teams.

In fact, had a District 1 player generated anything close over the past couple years, this would not have been an issue. The tricities media would have taken care of it. I submit Dannielle Thomas (Dobyns Bennett All State 2007) and Ashleigh Jackson (Science Hill All State 2007) as evidence.

Before anyone gets wound up over the last comment....I am big fan of both of these pitchers and they were very deserving of the recognition.

With the exception of Tricitiessports.com who have done a good job covering IMAC, it seems the only coverage beyond scores out of tri-cities comes only when they play District 1 teams.

In fact, had a District 1 player generated anything close over the past couple years, this would not have been an issue. The tricities media would have taken care of it. I submit Dannielle Thomas (Dobyns Bennett All State 2007) and Ashleigh Jackson (Science Hill All State 2007) as evidence.

Before anyone gets wound up over the last comment....I am big fan of both of these pitchers and they were very deserving of the recognition.

I see the real recognition as being in the form of scholarships. Forget the pats on the back, "show me the money". That's what it's about, getting their educations paid for. Plaques and trophies are nice, but 100K a year job after they graduate is nicer. Besides, if an athlete does her best everytime she goes out, then she can take pride in herself. She doesn't have anything to prove to anyone except herself.

I knew I was going to get some of this.

Yes, she is my daughter and Yes, I am very proud of her accomplishments.

As far as statistics being deceiving, I agree, they can...but a K is a K.....A win is a win.....A 4th place finish in the state is a 4th place finish in the state. As far as ERA, do a couple of sanity checks yourself. The softball page on coacht lists top defenses by total runs allowed (and a run is a run). In almost all cases you will find that the pitchers on the teams listed with the top defensive teams carry an ERA at about half of the runs allowed. For example, an earlier post stated that the Goodpasture pitcher had stats that weren't correct (ERA of 1.000) listed in the all state press release. That poster is correct. Goodpasture only allowed an average of .7 runs per game total. I am sure their main pitcher sported an ERA well under .5, probably in the .35 range.

My bigger point is this. There are areas of the state that don't get the media coverage necessary to make the all state team. I wish someone would fix that. There are other "daughters" throughout the IMAC for example, who are getting the same treatment and it will continue.

I knew she was your daughter. It's obvious, and you should be proud of her accomplishments. Although your not doing her any favors by whining on here about the lack of publicity.

I knew she was your daughter. It's obvious, and you should be proud of her accomplishments. Although your not doing her any favors by whining on here about the lack of publicity.

I realize that and I agree with you. As a matter of fact she hates this site and I will catch it when she hears from some of her friends that I was on here talking about it.

To be honest with you, I was more upset by it the previous year. But it's too late for her now and as I said in a previous post. There are others who follow and they will be in the same boat. It needs to be fixed.

There are a lot more people who read this stuff than would ever admit to it. I hope someone is listening.

Get your closest media to join the TSWA, or submit the info to Johnson City or Knoxville.

I have talked with sports media in Knoxville and Tri-cities about the problem. They acknowledge it and the response is that they push for players from within their distribution area. That is typically followed by sheepish apologetic gesture of some sort as if they are embarrassed to admit it.

I know that the TSWA is attempting to fill a void and in some ways are providing a service by even bothering with selecting an all-state team since TSSAA doesn't. But again...the process is broke!

Just want to say that I have been both an asst. coach and a head coach in the Knoxville area for the past five years and if Whitney G. is not an all-state softball player, then there is not even any need for such an honor. I don't know her or her father or have any ties to the Cherokee program, but I have seen her pitch many games in the past four years. She is not just a pitcher, but an extremely talented all-around player. If I were a college coach, I would try to sign her!