District 3 and 4 outlook

jerbear

Midway lost two dynamic running backs from last years team. Thus, their running game will not be near as good as it has been in the past (few teams could lose running backs of the caliber of Poe and Ray and not be down in that category). However most of the other teams in the Midway District, also lost prime skill players. So despite the running back loss, Midway could actually have a better record this year than last (8-4 in '08) but again time will tell.

Wartburg: Wartburg is young and hungry vs Midway winning program (winning seasons back to 2001) and a few good skill players. Midway wins but not a big as in years past.

Harriman: Home field advantage isn't very important here (near each other and history doesn't indicate advantage for home field). If Midway controls Inman, Midway wins. Again, I think the Midway defense will be very good this year.

Bledsoe: First meeting of the schools (that I know of). Going back to 2003 Bledsoe Co has not had a winning season. Last year they were 1-9. The game is at Midway. Midway wins. I feel even stronger about this prediction if Coalfield beats Bledsoe.

Grace Christian: Grace has 3 pre-season all-staters. More speed for Midway, better defense, and Midway home game. Midway wins but again a fairly close game.

Oliver Springs: OS might have a bigger line but Midway has more speed. OS will win more games this year but not against Midway.

Greenback: GB lost more starters and has a new coach. Game is at GB which has traditionally been a tough place for Midway to play but Midway pulls it out.

Grundy Co: A losing program versus a winning program and the game is at Midway. Midway wins.

Rockwood: Rockwood has almost always beat Midway regardless of the speed and skill players involved. I don't think Rockwood will dominate teams this year but history says they will beat Midway again this year.

Hancock Co: Another losing program versus a winning program. Midway wins.

Tellico Plains: Game is at Tellico but Tellico hasn't had much of a football program. Midway wins.

MIDWAY OUTLOOK: 9 and 1; 4 and 1 in District and on to the play-offs.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OAKDALE: Going back to 2001, 2 and 8 is their best record. Other teams with losing records are looking forward to playing Oakdale because the bottom line is somebody will notch a win. I don't think that Oakdale is going to be the muffin that some of these teams think. I predict that this will be Oakdale's best year in the 2000's.

Red Boiling Springs: RBS is hoping to get their first win after something like 70 losses. The game is at RBS. I don't know much about RBS but I do know that Oakdale has some pretty good athletes and a QB that can pass effectively and scrabble. RBS might get a win this year but not against Oakdale.

Pickett County: PC was 4 and 6 last year and before that 2 and 4 and before that.....no records. PC did beat RBS the last 2 years so they might be a little tougher the RBS but I still don't see PC beating Oakdale (who has played in a tough region for several years).

Oliver Springs: Oakdale could beat OS via passing and quickness but I really don't think this will happen. OS (size) gives Oakdale their first defeat of the year.

Wartburg: This could be a fairly close game but I believe Wartburg will win.

Hancock County: Although HC hasn't had much success in the years they've been playing football (2-7 in '08; 0-9 in '07; and 0-4 in '06), they appear to be a tougher team than Pickett Co. Last year HC beat Jellico 41 to 7 whereas Oakdale beat Jellico only 29 to 7. Oakdale also got beat by Sunbright worse than HC did. I don't know what talent HC lost but Oakdale still has enough talent left to win a close one.

Oneida: No chance for Oakdale.

Sunbright: This should also be another close game. According to numbers I saw recently, Sunbright actually has fewer students than Oakdale. Both teams have good QBs that can pass the ball. Oakdale's QB is probably a little better runner and I'd give the running back advantage to Oakdale as well. Sunbright's QB might be a better...more accurate passer and the game is at Sunbright. I'm picking Oakdale in a very close game.

Kings Academy: This should also be another close game. I'll give the edge to Oakdale.

Jellico: Oakdale wins this year.

Coalfield: Tradition runs deep. I don't think Coalfield has lost to Oakdale for many years. Coalfield wins.

Outlook for Oakdale: Maybe a bit optimistic but I've got 6 wins and 4 losses; 2 and 4 in district. Play-offs maybe but not likely. I don't see my predicted district record changing much but the overall wins could be fewer. Still, this should be a good season (relatively speaking) for Oakdale this year.

NEXT WEEK: OLIVER SPRINGS AND ONEIDA........ONLY 3 MORE WEEKS TIL KICK-OFF!

Bledsoe: First meeting of the schools (that I know of). Going back to 2003 Bledsoe Co has not had a winning season. Last year they were 1-9. The game is at Midway. Midway wins. I feel even stronger about this prediction if Coalfield beats Bledsoe.

Acutally Midway played Bledsoe Co in 1981 won 7-6 & 1982 won 19-0

Interested in seeing what you say about Tellico.

I'm interested in seeing what Tellico fans have to say about Tellico.....ya'll have been very quiet

I am 6 hours away now, I know a lot of the seniors were freshman when I left. I don't know anyone from Tellico on the boards really.

Coach, I watched a practice on Wednesday. Lots of rain, lots of fumbles and missed assignments from every player. There appeared to be a lack of effort to execute from every player. But you know they always say that,"The third day is the worst day" and maybe that was true yesterday. If the season goes like the practice then it will be a long year on the hill in Tellico. Starting QB from last year out two more weeks with partial detached retina and was said that he missed a lot of agility and conditioning due to wisdom teeth removal and has not practiced in pads. So QB will be iffy and rusty. Looked like on boy was on crutches, one had a shoulder immobilized, one was walking on a hobbled knee, and one more recovering from wisdom tooth removal and they said that the big tackle had decided he wasn't going to play this year. You know most of the team and coaches I understand your being curious. Nothing worse than being homesick! Well there are a few things tha are. Wish I had good news instead of this............

I heard TJ quit through the grapevine. Thanks for the update.

Not really homesick, just football sick really. Seems like this time of the year gets to me more than anything. In SC they can start practice Friday with helmets and then they go to shoulder pads next week I think.

Duke44, do I know you??

Coach, I watched a practice on Wednesday. Lots of rain, lots of fumbles and missed assignments from every player. There appeared to be a lack of effort to execute from every player. But you know they always say that,"The third day is the worst day" and maybe that was true yesterday. If the season goes like the practice then it will be a long year on the hill in Tellico. Starting QB from last year out two more weeks with partial detached retina and was said that he missed a lot of agility and conditioning due to wisdom teeth removal and has not practiced in pads. So QB will be iffy and rusty. Looked like on boy was on crutches, one had a shoulder immobilized, one was walking on a hobbled knee, and one more recovering from wisdom tooth removal and they said that the big tackle had decided he wasn't going to play this year. You know most of the team and coaches I understand your being curious. Nothing worse than being homesick! Well there are a few things tha are. Wish I had good news instead of this............

Thanks for the info.........hope your QB and the other players heal quick and recover fully......keep us updated if you can

Oliver Springs has had a couple of pretty tough and lean years (1-9 in '08; 2-9 if you count the Bowl win against Sunbright; 2-8 in '07). With the new district/region shake-up, things are looking up for OS.

Hancock Co: HC was 2-8 in '08 but got beat by Sunbright 6-20; OS beat Sunbright 37-20. OS has plenty of size but not outstanding speed (although if memory serves, OS has a fast sophomore running back that did a lot of damage in middle school). Game is at HC; regardless, OS wins their opener by two touchdowns.

Oakdale: see earlier post. OS wins.

Grundy Co: OS has been a winning football team in the past and will be ready. GC has not had a winning year for quite a while. Game is at home. OS wins.

Coalfield: Having seen Coalfield scrimmage Friday evening, I'm sticking to my guns and saying that OS will suffer their first defeat against Coalfield. Speed will win out over bulk.

Midway: see earlier post

Jellico: see earlier post

Oneida: This game might be closer than I think but I really don't think that OS has a chance.

Sunbright: Sunbright does have some good athletes but their program seems in disarray. OS wins.

Wartburg: OS must win this game to ensure a play-off spot. Wartburg is young; OS is seasoned and ripe. OS wins.

Clay Co: OS will already know whether they are in the play-offs before this game. The game is at CC. CC has been a decent team in the past and had a pretty good year last year. CC got creamed by some really good teams (e.g. Trousdale Co.) but CC also creamed some weak teams (e.g. RBS). What happened last year doesn't really matter that much, it's what you've got coming back. I beleive CC has more quality players returning and has the bulk to match OS. This game will be a loss for OS.

OUTLOOK OS: 6 and 4 but 4 and 2 in the district and on to the play-offs.