Mo West, Knox West, Tennessee High Scrimmage.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, here is the recap from the 3-way scrimmage at Burke-Toney Stadium tonight.

First off, of the 3 teams there, I would say that Morristown West was slightly ahead of Knox West, and Tennessee High was a little bit further behind both teams.

I was really surprised to see that the Vikings had a lot less in numbers on the sidelines this season. They probably had 40-45 players dressed out, but they still have a lot of good skill players in place.

Knox West is going to have a pretty good football team. They have very good speed, and their offensive line is huge. The left side of their line has some of the biggest linemen I have personally seen on a high school field in a long time. They also have a decent QB and two really good, quick tailbacks.

Morristown West moved the ball really effectively after their opening series, and they did most of it on the ground. They did not show a whole bunch in terms of their play calling, obviously playing things close to the vest this early. On defense, the West unit will absolutely hit you. They were laying big hit after big hit all through both sets of scrimmages.

Now, here is recap on the 45-minute scrimmages.

Knox West 21, Tennessee High 7

The Rebels scored on a 60 yard TD run on their opening drive, and the Vikings drove down and scored on their second possession. West scored again after a 60-plus yard run set them up inside the 10, and they added another score on a 65-yard pass. West defense was pretty good throughout, but Tennessee High used lots of play action to keep moving the ball. Harmon and Shepherd both looked good, and #44 is as good as advertised for the Vikings.

Morristown West 17, Tennessee High 14

The Trojans had to punt on their first drive, and the Vikings scored their only TD against the Trojan starters on a 4th and 6 busted play that resulted in a 40-yard TD pass from Harmon to #4. That was the only score that the MoWest defense allowed all night (their defense looked great, with several underclassmen on the field). West put together three straight drives, scoring a TD on an all run drive of 70 yards before forcing a pair of turnovers and adding a 44-yard FG and a TD to take a 17-7 lead. The Vikings scored a TD on the final possession of the scrimmage against the West third unit defense.

Morristown West 10, Knox West 7

Both defenses ruled this scrimmage. Each team drove down and missed a field goal in their first drives, and West got the first score on a 40-yard FG by Duncan. MoWest won the scrimmage of the first teamers 3-0 on three possessions each, before both teams third units scored late. Knox West scored a late TD to take the lead, but MoWest hit a 62-yard TD pass to reclaim the lead and were driving past midfield when the scrimmage ended.

All in all, it was a good first night of football in Morristown. Probably 400-500 people showed up to watch the scrimmage, and all 3 teams had their moments. Tennessee High should be fine once they get their feet under them, and Knox West is going to be a very talented team. Morristown West appears to have a very solid defensive unit, and their offense will get better every day.

Great recap big daddy. The 3-way scrimmage was a great success and answered a lot of questions for myself and many other Rebel fans.

I think Knox West is slightly ahead of Mo West though, mainly due to the fact that the Rebs had a depleted secondary tonight. Stephen Gyebison, one of our best corners reaggravated a hammy on the last play of the first offensive series against TN, Dylan Baylosis the best safety on the team hurt his knee against TN high and toughed it out, and the starting SS Thomas Hamilton just broke his jaw Wednesday against Bell County Ky. Also Gyb and Baylosis play receiver and you could tell they were missed in the passing game with younger players dropping balls here and there.

Overall though it was a great scrimmage for all the teams. I was really impressed with Mo West and their ability to pound the ball. Also I was a little disappointed in TN High who I had heard some great things about.

I don't know how much truth there is in this but I heard that TN high had 26 guys quit last week. That could explain the numbers.

I was told the same thing later on last night by a few people. That's a shame because they had such a great team last year and could have a really good team again this year too.

Great recap big daddy. The 3-way scrimmage was a great success and answered a lot of questions for myself and many other Rebel fans.

I think Knox West is slightly ahead of Mo West though, mainly due to the fact that the Rebs had a depleted secondary tonight. Stephen Gyebison, one of our best corners reaggravated a hammy on the last play of the first offensive series against TN, Dylan Baylosis the best safety on the team hurt his knee against TN high and toughed it out, and the starting SS Thomas Hamilton just broke his jaw Wednesday against Bell County Ky. Also Gyb and Baylosis play receiver and you could tell they were missed in the passing game with younger players dropping balls here and there.

Overall though it was a great scrimmage for all the teams. I was really impressed with Mo West and their ability to pound the ball. Also I was a little disappointed in TN High who I had heard some great things about.

I hope their injuries aren't too bad. I really enjoyed watching your team play last night. Best of luck this season.