TCA AND USJ

reneah

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, no suspensions handed down. Long game, lots of cramps, and tempers got the best of both teams at the end. Interested to see the replay to see how it actually started. I am sure it depends on which side of the stands you were sitting on as to who you think started it.

Both teams have a long way to go to make a run this year. I think Trinity's defense was better than I gave them credit. USJ offense did not look very sharp, but think this was a normal first game of the season. Way too many penalties and refs did not keep the game going very well. Of course, that is hard to do when someone is down after every play with cramps - counted 6 on the ground at one time.

Trinity scored with :01 second to go in fourth quarter. I may be mistaken, but that was the first time they had crossed the 50 yard line all night-kudos to USJ defense. (Washington scored first touchdown on pass interception). I think Trinity is going to have to find some offense to make a run this year..

Best thing is no serious injuries tonight - best of luck to both teams the rest of the year.

I will attempt to give a bit of background on what lead up to the incident at the end of the game. I was working on the sideline when it all went down.

TCA coaches appeared to be more than upset with the officials that were assigned to this game. The crew was from the Boliver area. The issues that TCA had with the officials were mainly in the areas of clock management. As we all know, the officials run the game clock. The crew that officiated the game likes to run a fast game so I am told. This game obviously was a very slow one. TCA felt that too much time was run off the clock AFTER they scored the TD at the end of the game. They felt that several more seconds should have been on the clock. I'd say at least 4 to 6 seconds more. There were other incidences of this throughout the game.

Before the onsides kick by TCA at the end of the game, there was alot of jaw jacking going on between some of the coaches and two of the officials. I am not going to identify the two officials, but from what I heard myself, they (the officials) were out of line in my opinion.

After the onsides kick, there was obviously an incident. I did not have a clear view of what happened or who started it. I do know that players from BOTH teams left their respectives benches after the incident started. Players from BOTH teams had to be restrained. After the incident started, one official noted that all of the TCA players, except one, left the bench area during this incident. That I personally witnessed and heard the official note. I would have to assume that officials on the USJ side of the field made some of the same type notations about USJ players who left their bench.

I would like to commend the coaches from both schools for preventing the situation from escalating anymore than it did. After cooler heads prevailed, both teams joined together at mid field for a post game prayer lead by Coach Marley.

Personally, I beleive that one player from each team should be suspended from next weeks games based on what I saw. I won't say who they are except to say that they are both front line players for their respective teams.

It is my understanding that tape of the incident will be reviewed. There was a TSSAA officials supervisor at the game. It is a very real possibility that one, or both teams may not have enough available players to play next week if the officials stick with their initial ruling. I really hope that this is not the case. We will have to simply wait and see what verdict is handed down after this incident is all sorted out.

Good accurate post about what transpired. I can't comment about what happened throughout the game as far coaches talking to officials ,etc., but when USJ recovered the onside kick with no time remaining, a TCA player ran past the recovering USJ player lying on the ground and decked another USJ player standing behind him. I think that is what sparked the incident because pushing and shoving ensued. There was alot of frustration out there and I think the officials added to it throughout the game. Did anyone see the photo in the Jackson Sun? TCA quarterback getting tackled by a USJ player and ref throwing a flag- that was indicative of the entire game. The Jackson Sun started the article saying a fight started when the teams were going to shake hands at the end of the game- not true and inaccurate. I think that's a small bit of trying to sensationalize the situation if you can actually do that for a high school football game. In the end, the coaches handled the situation very well and like Reitz, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few players don't get to play next week. I hope the TSSAA takes into account that the incident occurred at the end of the game when players wouldn't stay on the sidelines anyway as opposed to the middle of the 3rd quarter or something like that. I hope TCA does well the remainder of the season and as a supporter of USJ, I certainly hope the Bruins keep winning.

OK then, back to the game. TCA played great defensively if you consider that USJ only had two real scoring drives. The other score came on a blown coverage which resulted in that long pass play. USJ played brilliantly on defense. It was as if they knew exactly what play was being called every time. The player's quotes in the paper confirm that: "We had already seen everything they ran and practiced it all week."

After one half of that, TCA should have done something different, especially considering the game didn't mean anything. Impressive night defensively for #5 and #1 for TCA and #40 and #79 for USJ. Offensively #11 and #21 for USJ and there really wasn't any offense for TCA. Until the last drive they had more penalty yards than total offensive yards. That's pretty rare. Strange game all told.

I had the opportunity to review the replay of the game on tv last night. The JEA replay clearly shows the entire incident. Let me say this first. The incident was over almost quicker than it began. The coaching staffs for both schools did a great job in quickly defusing the situation after an extremely hard faught game.

Many players from BOTH teams left the benches during this incident. Most may have already been walking on the field to shake hands when this incident flashed I don't feel that any good purpose can come from either team having to forfiet a game this week because of leaving the bench. With just a couple of exceptions, there was really not even much pushing and shoving. The JEA replay clearly shows the very few players involved from BOTH teams that had direct participation in the incident. After reviewing the replay, I am not so sure that the player who may have sparked the incident should even be punished. The onside recovery was behind him and he probably did not hear a whistle blow, if one ever did. His job was to clear out a USJ player as TCA had to recover the onsides kick and return it for a score because of the time left on the clock. Was it an agressive play? Yes it was. Was the initial spark a cheap shot? Not in my opinion. Were there a couple of players from both teams who should be punished by the TSSAA or their own teams for their actions? The JEA replay clearly shows this in my opinion.

According to a local print media outlet, 5 players were ejected from this game. Three were from one team and two were from the other. It was not specified as to the breakdown. One TCA player, Dylan Yates, was ejected because of two personal fouls. It is not clear if he is one of the five mentioned or if this is in addition to the five mentioned. The TSSAA will be in contact with the schools today. More decisions are due tomorrow.