what is wrong with moore co?

diverdown

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all started 4 years ago when Doug Price was hired as coach. He got the job deservingly by staying in the program for a number of years but we all down deep knew he was not the man for the job. Few people knew just how good that Moore County was at the time. Anybody could win with those players. Since Price took over he has done nothing to get new players out or border county players to go to Moore County. What I mean by border players is players that live on county line that could go somewhere else. Tullahoma gets a few, sometimes it could be Franklin Co. or Lincoln Co. or maybe Shelbyville. Winning football games gets those players but losing games loses players. Its the same everywhere. Poor ole Price thought it was his great coaching that took Moore Co. to the Clinic Bowl but it was all players. Moore County like a lot of other programs practice and work out too much and that runs a lot of good players off in the off-season. Kids like to have things that lots of times require them to work part-time. I try to go to a high school game somewhere each week and I have noticed that the numbers are down in s lot of schools. Moore County needs a complete turn around in coaching. Its just the wrong place and wrong time for the current staff. I will say that the current staff seems to be trying hard but I don't think they will be succesful. Just one person's opinion.

one thing that has hurt them has been losing a certain player (cant remember the name off hand, but i believe he wore 22) that was worth about 20 tackles & 200 yards a game. any program would find it hard to replace that kind of production. (and wasnt he there for about 5 years?)

as far as losing the border players, i notice that the schools surrounding another program have declined recently. maybe there were other factors involved in the flow of players into lynchburg than simply not having demanding practices.

i saw a couple of moore co games last year, & one this year, and it seems like they are still playing pretty good ball. throw in a dominant athlete or two and they would be right back where they were. i dont know that it is time to give up on this staff just yet.

Guest bigwill5003
Posted by arhp52:

No team practices more than South Pittsburg and we allways have plenty of players. They work also. They just want to win and know this is what it takes. Ifthey aren't willing to make a few sacrifices then maybe they need to take up marbles.

THEN I CREDIT YOUR COACHING STAFF. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A COACH TO WORK HIS TEAM TO THE POINT THAT THEY FEEL THAT THEY ARE NOT REAPING ANY REWARDS. BUT CONTINUING TO ALLOW THE TO FEEL THIS WAY IS DUE TO MISTAKES ON THE COACHES PART. MOST OF THE PROBLEM IS WHEN A COACH SETS UP A WORKOUT PROGRAM AND CONTINUES IT EXACTLY OVER A PERIOD OF MONTHS. THIS CAN TEND TO BECOME MONOTONOUS.BUT NOT MANY COACHES GO ON WITHOUT NOTICING THIS IN THEIR TEAM AND DO NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. MOST CHANGE IT UP A LITTLE.

Posted by diverdown:

what has caused so many problems with the moore co. program? the coaches aren't can't be the only problem, can they? are the kids having fun? what's wrong?

I've heard these excuses for three years now! You guys loved Coach MAC and some have never accepted Coach Price. I don't know Coach Price, although we've coached against each other on two occasions (we were both assistant coaches at the time). Programs rise and fall based on several factors and I don't think practicing too much is one of them. I guess if a coach tried to work 4-5 hours a day during the regular season, that would be too much, but I don't know of anyone who does. Winning breeds success and losing causes friction no matter where you work. It is the nature of coaching! It's always easier to blame the coaching staff than it is to accept losing. If a coach works hard, is honest with his players, expects them to work hard, and tries to prepare them for each game to the best of his ability, then the rest will be decided on Friday Nights. Region 6A is a very tough region and I think the Blue Raider fans have been spoiled into thinking they would be the top team in the region forever. I expect Collinwood to begin a rebuilding year in 2003-2004 and maybe it will be Coach Price's team that will be back on top? Give the man more time to see what he can do with the Raiders.

[Edited by ELA on 9-17-02 10:23A]

From the outside looking in I would agree with arhp52 and ELA but thats not the deal. Price has destroyed the Moore Co. football program. PLAIN and SIMPLE. He is not honest with the players and plays favorites. I don't believe if he coached for the rest of his life it would change, that is his nature. He will tell you what he wants you to hear and then tell someone else different. I know this man and I know what I am talking about. Football in Moore County will never be the same as long as he coaches. The athletes are still in school just not on the football team.

Posted by blueboy:

From the outside looking in I would agree with arhp52 and ELA but thats not the deal. Price has destroyed the Moore Co. football program. PLAIN and SIMPLE. He is not honest with the players and plays favorites. I don't believe if he coached for the rest of his life it would change, that is his nature. He will tell you what he wants you to hear and then tell someone else different. I know this man and I know what I am talking about. Football in Moore County will never be the same as long as he coaches. The athletes are still in school just not on the football team.

Okay... let's look at it from a different perspective. Ask yourself this question: "What did MAC do that Coach Price does differently?" Did he push harder or was it less? Did he allow anyone on the team, or did he demand hard work? I'll bet that Coach Price picked up on many of the same work patterns that Coach Mac established. Every coach is different, but can you really blame Coach Price for every problem at Moore County?

ELA,Price does coach different. Mac pushed harder and smarter. Mac was more demanding than Price. It was harder to get on the team and play. Price took very little of Mac's ideas. He changed just about everything including pre-game warm ups. Price practices a lot but accomplishes 0. Whos' coaching does'nt matter but not everyone can be a coach(good coach). Coaching does matter. Sturdivant at Bruceton could win anywhere, Satterfield at Trousdale, Olive at Tullahoma, Marley at USJ and their lots of others. And there is some coaches that can't win anywhere. Example: Price at Moore County!

blueboy is obviously someone who knows coach price very well.it is also obvious that blueboy cares nothing about mc football, he only cares about running down the program which needs support. kids read these posts and the negative comments spread among them and kills morale and attitude. you said that price tells people what they want to hear. mac was the worst at not sticking to his decisions. he would tell a starter he was not going to play for breaking a team rule. on fridays, mac would tell that kid he could play. which is more important, winning or sticking to what you say to develope respect? if you think that any coach that replaced mac would follow everything mac set up like warm ups, then you dont know jack about coaching or football or... any new coach is going to install the thing they want, not copy the previous guy. good for price for having the courage to to what he wants.