White Station Vs. CBHS

fourthree

...CBHS controlled this game with their excellent kicking game; they also completely dominated the line of scrimmage on offense and defense. Unfortunately for WS, they probably underestimated CBHS's strength and size up front and could not make adjustments that worked. I thought CBHS would attempt that strategy, I just did not think that it would work as well as it did....

Being that WS handle Whitehaven's size and strength advantage, I thought that they would be able to handle CBHS's well enough to win the game. I was wrong!

Whitehaven's slower-hitting spread offense severely minimized its OL size advantage and, instead, played directly into White Station's defensive strength -- speed and quickness. That's why WS was able to "handle" WH.

Apparently, CBHS simply used a power-run offensive scheme, which enabled them to take maximum advantage of its OL size and strength advantage.....that likely wore-down WS and negated WS' defensive speed advantage.

-----------------------------------

I knew that White Station's defense was susceptible to a power-run game, but just did not feel that CBHS would be able to keep pace (offensively) and outscore WS.

I was also wrong, very wrong!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that WS handle Whitehaven's size and strength advantage, I thought that they would be able to handle CBHS's well enough to win the game. I was wrong!

Whitehaven's slower-hitting spread offense severely minimized its OL size advantage and, instead, played directly into White Station's defensive strength -- speed and quickness. That's why WS was able to "handle" WH.

Apparently, CBHS simply used a power-run offensive scheme, which enabled them to take maximum advantage of its OL size and strength advantage.....that likely wore-down WS and negated WS' defensive speed advantage.

-----------------------------------

I knew that White Station's defense was susceptible to a power-run game, but just did not feel that CBHS would be able to keep pace (offensively) and outscore WS.

I was also wrong, very wrong!

Agreed ... but what about the CBHS defense? I mean ... what you elaborated on explains how CBHS scored ... but what about that big fat doughnut on the scoreboard for WS? THAT more then anything is what got my attention. Kudos to the CBHS defense on that one. All week long leading up to the game it was WS offense this and WS offense that. What happened? Zippo. Nada. Zilch. That defense is very good and my hat is off to them.

kwc,

WS did not score because CBHS completely dominated the line of scrimmage and the linebackers were very disciplined and did not fall for all of the horizontal and misdirectional stuff. CBHS's was able to consistently push up the middle with its front four (sometimes 3, plus a linebacker), and everyone else stayed home or dropped into zone coverage. It seemed as if WS's ball-carriers were just running to CBHS defenders; horizontally at that.

Another problem for WS was the fact that the WS quarterback floats the ball. As you mentioned before, he throws a "catchable ball". Against the CBHS defense, that so called "catchable ball" just did not get to the recievers fast enough- not enough zip. This allowed CBHS's well-coached and very disciplined, but slow secondary, to easily react and disrupt the passing plays or be there to make tackles for minimal yards-after-catch.

Agreed ... but what about the CBHS defense? I mean ... what you elaborated on explains how CBHS scored ... but what about that big fat doughnut on the scoreboard for WS? THAT more then anything is what got my attention. Kudos to the CBHS defense on that one. All week long leading up to the game it was WS offense this and WS offense that. What happened? Zippo. Nada. Zilch. That defense is very good and my hat is off to them.

You are absolutely correct---CBHS' defense deserves some big-time kudos!!!

Since I did not attend the CBHS - WS game, I was COMPLETELY clueless as to how CBHS' defense was able to dominate White Station.....It was indeed a magnificent, masterful and stunning performance!

Ater reading Fourthree's most recent, follow-up comments concerning CBHS' dominating performance....I now completely understand exactly how CBHS pulled off that impressive feat.