Halls @ Anderson CO.

Space3

zcar,

Did you say Coach Sheppard ran the same play 22 times against and won the game? I find that hard to believe any body runs the same play 22 times in a row and wins a game unless they are just that much better then the other team. If that is true why dont we ask what that play is and run it now. Just kiddin' I dont beleive that.

Hay Coach if you read this will you reply? Let us know what the play was.

It was at Cleveland. A playoff game and you guessed it a running play. If they can't stop it why change.

I'm not making it up.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HaveItYourway -

- You get on here and bad mouth a player as bad as anyone I've read, then you say you don't like "hating on a kid". Look in the mirror.

- You said since" the first (O'laughlin) is a far superior athlete to the other (Gibson)." That's not uplifting, encouraging, or truthful. If that's not hating on a player I don't know what is. Are you kin to the famous Moronocus?

- I have said I feel Gibson is better at running back, and I still believe that. Does that mean I'm "hating" on #6?" I have also said I feel #6 is a great athelete, but not a runnung back. How is that hating? I really like #6, and think he was done a great injustice by being thrown to the wolves as a soph. I also believe he could have gotten a scholarship had he played another position. (not many kids his size get recruited to play running back)

- Career facts:

#3 - 94 carries, 612 yards, 9 TDs (6.5 per carry average)

#6 - 138 carries, 688 yards, 4TDs (4.9 per carry average)

Sorry to let a few facts get in the way of your opinion. I just disagree with you.

I think everyone appreciates you're lack of quoting me about the qualification that Gibson is most certainly an athlete. Conveniently overlooked! But let's look at a few facts ourselves. The stats you quote can be accurate or inaccurate. Fact! It has been common practice in this area for the home team to report both teams stats. Fact! No one really knows the stats because people have complained for years that their boys stats weren't right one way or another. Fact! Those stats may also be skewed quite drastically based on when the carries were in a game (i.e. mop up duty for or against a player) and they may be skewed based on just what this coaching staff is trying to do. Fact! Who knows what that is exactly? No one! They may also be skewed simply based on an opponent one way or another. Fact! Now for the superior athlete comment...with the numbers I've been hearing from some kids I'm close to...6 ran under a 4.5 this year while 3 ran over a 4.6. 4.6 is good, in fact really good for the school and area, but it's not under 4.5 the last time I checked. Also, the last time I looked on a field, that .1+ of a second equated to about 5 yards on the field. 5 yards goes a long way when trying to defend a pass or beat a defender. Note: that's based on sheer athletic ability not how either performs. Both have appeared to be burnt on the pass at times which happens to the best of kids. The teams best defenders of the pass most certainly have appeared to be 10 and 37 this year overall.

I believe at one point I made a statement about how 6 should get 25 touches a game and everyone thought I was crazy. Well just how crazy is that really? You anticipate there being 3-4 kickoffs and 5-6 punts. So right there that's 8-10 touches you want to try and get the kid (because he has the playmaking ability to take it the distance on kick returns) thus leaving between 15-17 touches (on offense...out of what? 50-60 plays in theory...25%?). You would think, or I would think that 6-8 of the remaining touches would be in the passing game (the same amount for #10 and probably 3-5 for 37 in the passing game if not more), which would leave #6 touching the ball in the running game 9-12 times, something like that. 9-12 times isn't that many touches as far as running the ball goes really.

With this stuff being said, I don't think 3 or 6 should run the ball in the Halls system. 3 is smaller than 6. In fact 7 is smaller than both those but makes up for it in his Long attitude. That kid plays like he's 225. But anyways, with the type of kids Halls has had this year they should have been in some sort of spread. Spread the field out, which means the defenses have to widen out and then you get your athletes running around some seams and let them do what they do. At one point I was told Halls was looking to go to the spread. Imagine with me if they had :roflolk:dry.gif

Now with the way this season has played out and using the eyeball test on all the kids, I would think that 34, 46 and 7 should run the ball when they're healthy right now in the jacked up system. They've ran it the best/hardest in my opinion. So there, how's that for saying something positive for 3 kids in spite of 2 others! Oh and #7 (a soph) might be our best overall player if #10 isn't. Please compare me to moronicus again!

zcar,

Did you say Coach Sheppard ran the same play 22 times against and won the game? I find that hard to believe any body runs the same play 22 times in a row and wins a game unless they are just that much better then the other team. If that is true why dont we ask what that play is and run it now. Just kiddin' I dont beleive that.

Hay Coach if you read this will you reply? Let us know what the play was.

It was at Cleveland. A playoff game and you guessed it a running play. If they can't stop it why change.

I'm not making it up.

Who ran the ball for them 22 straight times ZCAR? That's really impressive(or batty) if that indeed was the case and Cleveland couldn't figure it out!

HaveItYourway -

- You get on here and bad mouth a player as bad as anyone I've read, then you say you don't like "hating on a kid". Look in the mirror.

- You said since" the first (O'laughlin) is a far superior athlete to the other (Gibson)." That's not uplifting, encouraging, or truthful. If that's not hating on a player I don't know what is. Are you kin to the famous Moronocus?

- I have said I feel Gibson is better at running back, and I still believe that. Does that mean I'm "hating" on #6?" I have also said I feel #6 is a great athelete, but not a runnung back. How is that hating? I really like #6, and think he was done a great injustice by being thrown to the wolves as a soph. I also believe he could have gotten a scholarship had he played another position. (not many kids his size get recruited to play running back)

- Career facts:

#3 - 94 carries, 612 yards, 9 TDs (6.5 per carry average)

#6 - 138 carries, 688 yards, 4TDs (4.9 per carry average)

Sorry to let a few facts get in the way of your opinion. I just disagree with you.

I think everyone appreciates you're lack of quoting me about the qualification that Gibson is most certainly an athlete. Conveniently overlooked! But let's look at a few facts ourselves. The stats you quote can be accurate or inaccurate. Fact! It has been common practice in this area for the home team to report both teams stats. Fact! No one really knows the stats because people have complained for years that their boys stats weren't right one way or another. Fact! Those stats may also be skewed quite drastically based on when the carries were in a game (i.e. mop up duty for or against a player) and they may be skewed based on just what this coaching staff is trying to do. Fact! Who knows what that is exactly? No one! They may also be skewed simply based on an opponent one way or another. Fact! Now for the superior athlete comment...with the numbers I've been hearing from some kids I'm close to...6 ran under a 4.5 this year while 3 ran over a 4.6. 4.6 is good, in fact really good for the school and area, but it's not under 4.5 the last time I checked. Also, the last time I looked on a field, that .1+ of a second equated to about 5 yards on the field. 5 yards goes a long way when trying to defend a pass or beat a defender. Note: that's based on sheer athletic ability not how either performs. Both have appeared to be burnt on the pass at times which happens to the best of kids. The teams best defenders of the pass most certainly have appeared to be 10 and 37 this year overall.

I believe at one point I made a statement about how 6 should get 25 touches a game and everyone thought I was crazy. Well just how crazy is that really? You anticipate there being 3-4 kickoffs and 5-6 punts. So right there that's 8-10 touches you want to try and get the kid (because he has the playmaking ability to take it the distance on kick returns) thus leaving between 15-17 touches (on offense...out of what? 50-60 plays in theory...25%?). You would think, or I would think that 6-8 of the remaining touches would be in the passing game (the same amount for #10 and probably 3-5 for 37 in the passing game if not more), which would leave #6 touching the ball in the running game 9-12 times, something like that. 9-12 times isn't that many touches as far as running the ball goes really.

With this stuff being said, I don't think 3 or 6 should run the ball in the Halls system. 3 is smaller than 6. In fact 7 is smaller than both those but makes up for it in his Long attitude. That kid plays like he's 225. But anyways, with the type of kids Halls has had this year they should have been in some sort of spread. Spread the field out, which means the defenses have to widen out and then you get your athletes running around some seams and let them do what they do. At one point I was told Halls was looking to go to the spread. Imagine with me if they had :?dry.gif

Now with the way this season has played out and using the eyeball test on all the kids, I would think that 34, 46 and 7 should run the ball when they're healthy right now in the jacked up system. They've ran it the best/hardest in my opinion. So there, how's that for saying something positive for 3 kids in spite of 2 others! Oh and #7 (a soph) might be our best overall player if #10 isn't. Please compare me to moronicus again!

Haveityourway..........OK, we will take off the gloves & get this settled. There is no comparison, YOU have the roman genius Moronicus beat hands down for message-posting lunacy. Moron says most of his stuff in jest, ignorance or poor imitation of the great Stars-n-Bars from the "Merry-dell" (for you retentive spell checkers). You, HIYW, should know better.

Who exactly are the #6 haters & when & where did anybody ever say they hated him? Certainly not IM80. I read most all of these posts & I do not recall anyone saying thay hate #6,.....especially in favor of #3 or anyone else on the team. Please provide backup for this divisive drivel you are spouting. If somone said they hate #6 they are the real Morons, but I haven't heard, read, or seen it. Wanting our coaching staff to spead the touches around to our host of very similar, good, but not superior athletes, is NOT hating #6. If you took it that way, you win the either the Moron, Ostrich, or Chicken Little award, your pick.

Check the track stats for your real speed FACTs (oh, I forgot you don't belive in stats). Also, I think I heard that #3 pulled a hammy at the first track meet last year & yes, maybe is not as fast this year because of it, so what. I know both of these kids very, very well & love them both, neither are superior, thats the fact! Just truly good kids trying to grow up if we will let them. I think we do have good athletes, #6 & #3 are indeed among them along with #37 (underated, probably the truly football-fastest kid on team & maybe the mentally toughest), #46 (biggest heart-effort giver, & deceptively fast), #34 (strong, tough & very courageous--e.g. will catch it over the middle TW!), #11 (tough-hard working QB, future leader), #10 (probably best overall athlete), #14 (dependable, developed into great field general), #56 (Our version of Nick Reveiz, ...nuff-said), #7 ("bring-it" type hitter & quite a bit LARGER than #6 or #3...FACT), #24 (speedy & will "bring-it" also),#36 (just wait), ect...just to name a very few...but in my opinion, NONE are Superior. Go watch Alcoa play for that.

Personally, I think the REAL heros are the kids who get the snot beat out them on the scout teams in practice every week for 4 years & never see the field on friday nights. I'm not talking about the ones who do not volunteer or force their way to the scout teams & only want a jersey. I'm talking especially about the Senior kids who play with heart, who get their only action on the scout teams since they can't play JV anymore. These kids & the other younger scout teamers have earned some friday night action, at least mixed in on the special teams, PATs or something. Its not like we are lighting it up on special teams either.

HIYW, If the only football stats we have to go by do not count in your argument, let's throw them out. The only thing left is your personal judgement of these kids, you are indeed intitled to your opinion (the butt-krack theory in your case) but do not get on here & put down specific kids, then expect a token "but he is a good athlete" added at the end to make up for it. Very poor form.

ZCar,

I have always repected you and your posts but I am very disappointed you let yourself be cought up in this foolisness. Whether you think one athlete is better than another is subjective only to you (when HIYW disqualifies the only stats we have, erroneous or not), and is even more of a problem than HIYW's drivel because of the kids that look up to you. Out of respect, I won't comment further on your posts, If you want to talk to me about it, see me at the game or call me. Same goes for you HIYW.

General Comment: Our problems are not due to the Wing-T offensive system. The Wing-T is only a time-honored system of offensive football, thats all. It appears "we" do not know what that system is all about, but Faragut & Catholic tasted the real thing last Friday. Ask them how the Wing-T, ran correctly, tastes this week, especially with a major multi-formation passing component. My point is that I'm not sure "we" could run any system correctly at this point. Our rushing problems are in large part due to extremely poor blocking (schemes, technique, execution or more probably all 3), so even Eddie George might not get through to level 2. Its not all on the RB's either. This is evidenced by the fact that no single RB we have has been able to consistently "pop-through" to utilize their talents against the secondary. So maybe we could pass quick & short on play action, sprint options etc..like we did vs. DB & Catholic. #14's fake-keeper look appeared to freeze the LBs worked very well Friday night. Heres a thought, lets do more of the few things we do well. Hummm.........brain surgery???? :lol:

Last Friday night was the first game this year I felt the loss was mostly due to poor execution by the players (for whatever reason) & not mostly coaching problems. Turnovers in either redzone are deadly, we had 5, 3 in our red zone, 2 in AC's redzone. That is not TW or KJ's fault & its something that even our team does not usually do, so I do not think the fumbles were due to poor instruction or even poor ball security by the backs. Maybe, lets give AC's much maligned defense its due props & acknowledge AC just made good hits in combination with simply an unlucky, soggy, night. Or........Coaches Lombardi & Bryant might just be PO'd at us for this infighting BS.

We have only 4 games left......lets support ALL of the kids in the short time we can (4 games or 4 years). If it truly means one kid gets 75% of the touches, then ok, shut-up, man-up, block your butt off & tackle like somebodys after your mamma, & let's get this thing turned around. This is OUR TEAM, not an individual showcase, so cut this crap out or Coach-T will.

We may end up losing all of our games but we simply cannot let the TEAM give up. We can encourage them to focus, "Bring-it" & FINISH STRONG every play, most importantly in the few practices that remain, & I mean every single play, every single snap. The old football adage is very true: "You WILL play on Friday like you practice on Tuesday".

Kids, You can inspire the coaches first. Do your best to Respect the coaches no matter what has happened. Show them you give a darn. They, after all, are sacrificing their family time & money for you too. Listen, to them, try your best to do what they instruct, ask questions for God's sake if you do not understand, don't wait until Friday night & look like a deer in the car headlights when what you see across the line doesn't look like the scout team looked or the film showed. Run between practice sessions, repsect the game. This "heavy stuff" may be hard for you to understand right now, but its really for you and your teamates, no one else.

Seniors, ultimately the next 4 games will determine YOUR legacy. Its up to you to lead. Coaching, parents, peers, don't really matter now, they cannot determine how YOU respond to this adversity. You must find it in yourself, its in there, I've seen it first hand, trying to get out. Let it.

All this petty bickering you see on these threads is really not intended to upset or hurt anyone. Its mostly just ex-jocks who care passionately about football & maybe relive some the power, honor & spotlight you now have on you. Thats not a bad thing unless we let it be a bad thing. It may be hard for you to see how much glory is yours to be had right now. We didn't see it either, until we didn't have it anymore. Once you graduate, you most likely won't be "the Man" anymore, ever....You will never again have the opportunty to so quickly determine your own fate. You simply must seize this opportunity & grow. This isn't just about football I talkin here, its life, but its one the reasons us old dudes love the game of football. I think the game of Football (sports) is one of the tools God let us humans develop to test our spirits, to see if we can do our duty, protect our brother's back,..........survive.

When you come back to Halls in 20 or 30 years for your reunion, how do you want to be remembered? The class that got fed-up, whined & laid down? Or the class that, even though they did not have a stellar record, fought back, hit hard & earned the repect of their opponents & fans alike. Just like in Braveheart, 30 years from now, when you are old (like us), I promise you will dream of trading all the days from then until now to get these few very precious moments back & earn your place, your manhood. (just a metaphor moms :thumb: ).

Please see Joe-Pa's post game interview on ESPN after Penn State's loss last Saturday for what TEAM Football really means.

Wake up, Im done now :roll:

GO RED DEVILS

HB76

ZCar,

I have always repected you and your posts but I am very disappointed you let yourself be cought up in this foolisness. Whether you think one athlete is better than another is subjective only to you (when HIYW disqualifies the only stats we have, erroneous or not), and is even more of a problem than HIYW's drivel because of the kids that look up to you. Out of respect, I won't comment further on your posts, If you want to talk to me about it, see me at the game or call me. Same goes for you HIYW.

HB76, I have enjoyed your posts over the years as I have Ironman80's,Fairplay,Have it your way,etc.

Let me be the first to apoligise I do get carried away at times especially when I think we are getting kicked while were down. If a parent thinks that their child has a better opportunity to play elsewhere thats fine with me. What I don't like is constant sniping at our program after they have moved on and have the "I told you so attitude". I have no dog in the fight who is better to run the ball at Halls I have just voiced my opinion of what runners we have available may be best suited in a more wide open offense. I have never been a big fan of the wing-t but when it is run right we do seem on a another level. But in recent memory we haven't been having much success in running the ball until last week then we had the turnovers. I'd rather posters rough me up than the Kids that are trying to give it there all and for some reason can't get that elusive W. Thanks for putting me in my place.

For Have it Your Way if I'm not mistaken it was #47 Matt Lance back in 2000 that carried the ball that night. I think Michael Jenkins was QB at the time.

zcar,

I do remember Jenkins as QB when we beat Cleveland down their. But I dont think Lance run the ball 22 times in a row. I think we run option back then and Lance, Jenkins and the other back all shared the ball game.

highball76,

The best post I have ever read on this site or anywhere. If you played 30 or so years ago I hope that in another 20 years I still have as much Devil pride as you. In fact I aint gonna bash the little feller again, or at least try not to.

zcar,

I do remember Jenkins as QB when we beat Cleveland down their. But I dont think Lance run the ball 22 times in a row. I think we run option back then and Lance, Jenkins and the other back all shared the ball game.

I think he had the bulk of the carries perhaps with another back Timbo Lively backing him up but what I meant was we pretty much ran the same play over and over. Someone help me out if they have the skinny on it.