Overton - How good are they?

12NCS

Its great to see Overton having a good year. To bad Hillsboro didn't stay in house for a coach instead of trashing the whole program by going outside. The new coaching staff is still moving players around after 5 games. To bad they can't be moved around...or out.
The last time that Hillsboro whent outside to find a coach they hired Scott Blade from California. But then again Blade found Metro not the other way around.

It is my understanding that someone referred then-HHS Principal Bob Lawson to Blade. However, Blade had already planned to move to Nashville before landing the HHS job due to his parents living in the Nashville area. Also, it is pretty well known that Blade was not exactly a "popular hire" around certain circles within HHS and MNPS.

Also, it is my understanding is that HHS interviewed a few coaches from outside of TN (not just MNPS) this time around as well, but they turned down the offer for whatever reason.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By having 8 classifications (6 in D1 & 2 in D2) you are going to see more bad teams make the playoffs than in past seasons. Place everyone back together in 4 classifications and watch the cream rise to the top.

cbg..great observation about playoffs..TSSAA will have alot of explaining after this playoff season..lots of bad teams with bad records are going to make the field and a lot of good teams with good records are going to be left(mad) at home. This playoff system is a joke :thumb:

I agree, the idea of splitting the 3 classes into 6 for playoffs doesn't sit well with me either. I wish they would just keep 3 throughout the playoffs. However, I do thoroughly love the new districts based on geographical location. Plenty of natural rivalries being renewed/ignited!

Overton has beaten FR who if I am not mistaken has beaten BA. Overton has beaten Whites Creek who is pretty darn good and who I also believe beat Maplewood which just hung in there with the #1 team in the state Ooltewah. And now they just beat McGavock 21-7 and should have been 28-7 if not for a returned call on a punt return. McGavocks only other loss came to Mt Juliet by one point. Mt. Juliet is still undefeated. I would say that Overton is pretty good and has beaten some good teams as well.

As far as the classification and the playoffs I agree this system is not the best. Right now in district 7 6A it looks like you will have at least one pretty good team possibly not make the playoffs. You have Riverdale, Oakland, and Blackman all playing pretty good football and one of the three may be left out of the playoffs under the new system.

As far as the classification and the playoffs I agree this system is not the best. Right now in district 7 6A it looks like you will have at least one pretty good team possibly not make the playoffs. You have Riverdale, Oakland, and Blackman all playing pretty good football and one of the three may be left out of the playoffs under the new system.

My understanding is that because all of the teams in District 7-AAA are 6A the top 3 teams in that the district standings make the playoffs and a 4th team could possibly have a chance at a wild-card. So, right now, Riverdale, Oakland, Blackman, would make the playoffs and Smyrna might have a chance at a wild card spot.

They have good athletes, a really good running game, and a good defense. Coaching is good as well.

Biggest question is depth. They may make the playoffs and make a decent run.

Two big questions here. One is depth which is the case with most metro teams. The other is special teams. Overton does not have a very good kicker or punter. Because of this against a good team if it comes down to field position or a field goal they will have the odds stacked against them. Overton has a great RB and a good WB on offense and defensively they have a pretty good DE, a good pair of LB, and the secondary bends but doesnt seem to break. I would say overall the bobcats have what it takes to make a deep run if they can stay healthy.

1. Kicker is 20/22 on XP, which is 4th most in the midstate. Granted, he is not a long distance FG kicker and they have another kicker, now, for kickoffs who is doing a good job. The limitation on a FG is probably about 40 yards.

2. Punter...what do you consider to be a good average in H.S.? Punter is averaging 34 yards per punt, with 5 of those 9 being downed inside the 15 yard line (that is a 34 yard NET, as none of them have been returned). Punt at end of game was huge key in holding the win against Father Ryan in the first game of the year (field position).

3. They are upgraded at QB and OL vs last year and this is the primary improvement.

4. Primary weakness is defense on the outside corners vs a speed back that can turn the corners. Also, DE and LB overpursuing cutbacks and getting caught inside instead of containing.

Fieldwalker wrote "Overton has beaten Whites Creek who is pretty darn good and who I also believe beat Maplewood which just hung in there with the #1 team in the state Ooltewah."

I agree that Whites Creek is pretty darn good but when exactly did Oveton beat them?

My bad NCS I meant to put that Overton has beaten DL which just beat Whites Creek. Sorry for the invalid fact! I was just trying to argue that Overton has beaten FR, DL, and now McGavock who are all pretty solid.

Goingtoright I have heard that Overton got a new kicker who is doing well. The kicker responsible for field goals/extra points may be consistent kicking extra points but is limited beyond that distance. You also said that the QB and Oline have been an upgrade. I would say last years QB was more of a passing threat and this years is more of a running threat. I would say that they are pretty comparible as far as output and effectiveness. The oline is basically the same as last year they just have an extra year of experience under their belts. You said on defense they lack corners and I would agrue that Overton has one of the best secondarys in the midstate. They have what I believe to be seven interceptions. They may bend but they dont seem to break.

If Overton stays healthy they could be a real threat to go deep and to be a darkhorse.

Goingtoright I have heard that Overton got a new kicker who is doing well. The kicker responsible for field goals/extra points may be consistent kicking extra points but is limited beyond that distance. You also said that the QB and Oline have been an upgrade. I would say last years QB was more of a passing threat and this years is more of a running threat. I would say that they are pretty comparible as far as output and effectiveness. The oline is basically the same as last year they just have an extra year of experience under their belts. You said on defense they lack corners and I would agrue that Overton has one of the best secondarys in the midstate. They have what I believe to be seven interceptions. They may bend but they dont seem to break.

If Overton stays healthy they could be a real threat to go deep and to be a darkhorse.

I was referring not specifically to corners as DBs, but whoever is to defend the RB turning the corner out wide on a run. Yes, they've done well vs the pass.