DISTRICT 1-AAA (The Big 8)

TommyMan37604

So sad that South is just going to fade away once again. These girls were State Sectional Champs when this Junior class was in the 8th grade. The Soph class went to the final four in the State Sectional the very next year. The Senior class made it to the Sectionals and bowed out in the first round. So they have the talent but it is just not being utylised. I won't go any further in my disappointment. It's just heartbreaking to watch potential college calibre' athletes go to waste all the while feeling helpless as a parent. Sullivan South Girls Basketball is just not something the South Administration has any concern with whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that the parents are not compelled to do anything about it. So once again South is labled the spoiler. We will surprise someone this season just as we surprised DB in the regionals last season. Not that that is our goal but it seems it is the best we can hope for.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain compusatman! It is frustrating to sit in the stands knowing that the potential is there but the coach can't figure a way to bring it out. These schools need to look at these programs and figure out if they want a competitive athletic program or a booster league. These girls want to win and are very capable of winning if given the training they deserve. South is fired up over every other sport, why not girls basketball? Come on coaches, teach the kids what they need to be competitive in the sport they love. So much talent and size at South, shame to see it wasted....But unfortunately South is not the only school in the Big 8 with the problem

I have not seen DB play until tonight. First of all South played a complete ballgame. Abbey Fletcher's pressure on the front was the sole reason for many of DB's turnovers. It was relentless. It was a team effort. Tyria played her best game so far. The girls in the paint never gave up. South played like they wanted it. And Mac was ever Kool.

DB's demise, from my point of view is for 3 reasons. One, their point guard is not capable of controlling the offense. Briacha would be the better choice. Two, their guards fell apart under the stress of South's 2 guards on defense. And Three, and this is the major one...DB's coach took his most agressive player out of the game and left her on the bench for half the game. That would be Julie. She is their gasoline player and when she is out the spark is gone. South never trailed. There is this thing between South and DB and yes, it has filtered down to all sports...not just football. I kept waiting for the mud wrestling to begin but another night I guess. They will love each other when AAU rolls around but right now they would just as soon scratch each others eyes out. Great game Lady Rebels.

Wow! Big win for the Lady Rebels. They needed this win in a bad way. Not sure why DB had Julie on the bench but Gray and Devine usually do a great job inside. Julie has seemed to struggle a bit this year. I guess I was expecting alot more on the offensive side from her than we have seen so far. Glad South didn't wait till Districts to prove they are still in this thing! Go Lady Rebels.....

Congrats to the Lady Rebels on the big win over Dobyns-Bennett. I was impressed with Abbey Fletcher's defense and the way she led the break both giving and receiving the ball. There would appear to be a lot of talent on that team which makes their current record disappointing. Maybe the second half of the season will show improvement. The strength of the team seems to be depth at guard. The key to continued success would be using the pressure defense to generate more offense.This team looks like they can half court trap and full court press most of the game with plenty of up tempo fast break action. Jessica should be coaching these girls if South wanted a top notch girls basketball program.

Congrats to the Lady Rebels on the big win over Dobyns-Bennett. I was impressed with Abbey Fletcher's defense and the way she led the break both giving and receiving the ball. There would appear to be a lot of talent on that team which makes their current record disappointing. Maybe the second half of the season will show improvement. The strength of the team seems to be depth at guard. The key to continued success would be using the pressure defense to generate more offense.This team looks like they can half court trap and full court press most of the game with plenty of up tempo fast break action. Jessica should be coaching these girls if South wanted a top notch girls basketball program.

Sup CD. Talent...yeah they got it. Depth...yeah they got it. Attitude...well they sure had it last night. The power of positive thinking. It's not about X's and O's. And yes, they are in shape to run the floor. It's all about empowerment. Positive reinforcement. They got the goods just give them the confidence to use it. Jessica...she's a JEWEL! That is a whole 'nother thread. But, I will give Josh the benefit of the doubt. Last night he discovered the recipe. It's like boiling water...just fill it up, put a lid on it and turn up the heat. If he didn't get a taste of the pie last night then he just doesn't like dessert. As I said, I will empower him in order to empower them. I understand they don't get paid enough to put their life into it. But I saw his excitement last night. I saw a man who was proud. The parents should show their appreciation. It works both ways. Then if it don't work...well that is another thread. I can think of 5 girls that were at one time part of this group. They should be there. They and their parents gave up. I understand why. But, I'm not a quitter. Sometimes a little love goes a long way. Stacy had the same problem. but once it started rolling everybody wanted to be a part of it. They came out of the woodwork. I will put as much heart in it as Josh does. I won't hang him out to dry. A little word of encouragement from parents would go a long way. A long time coming but just maybe we have hit a nerve. You'll know we are on a roll when those 5 want to come back. :roflol:

I'm hopeful for South. If Coach Tate will just get out of the way, do a little subbing, and let they girls play, we might pull off another upset. These girls can play if they forget everything he says and just get after it and make plays. His quote on Tricities Sports was awesome after the DB game. He said "As far as X's and O's, we really didn't have a game plan...We just executed flawlessly". The glaring conclusion...we execute "no game plan" flawlessly shows his inadequacies.

This program continues to fall apart because our coaches don't care(excluding Rowe), let alone the fact they know nothing. You can't take 9 days off in a row over the holidays one year, 15 of 21 off this year, and have any expectation...hence the embarrassing defeat at Tn High last week. You can't never show up at middle school games to encourage the girls about their basketball future at South. You can't fight with the middle school coach because you fear she'll take your job. We've played half the number of games then the other teams this year. Why? Because he'd rather stay home with his family. We skipped camps this summer because of his knee injury. Can't the other 2 coaches handle things for a couple camps? And no, the schoolboard nor principal at South will do anything. There commitment is no better.

OK, obvious frustration from a South Athletics fan.

My conference picks...right now it's SH, TN High, DB....the rest is up for grabs with the exception of Boone and Crockett.

I'm hopeful for South. If Coach Tate will just get out of the way, do a little subbing, and let they girls play, we might pull off another upset. These girls can play if they forget everything he says and just get after it and make plays. His quote on Tricities Sports was awesome after the DB game. He said "As far as X's and O's, we really didn't have a game plan...We just executed flawlessly". The glaring conclusion...we execute "no game plan" flawlessly shows his inadequacies.

This program continues to fall apart because our coaches don't care(excluding Rowe), let alone the fact they know nothing. You can't take 9 days off in a row over the holidays one year, 15 of 21 off this year, and have any expectation...hence the embarrassing defeat at Tn High last week. You can't never show up at middle school games to encourage the girls about their basketball future at South. You can't fight with the middle school coach because you fear she'll take your job. We've played half the number of games then the other teams this year. Why? Because he'd rather stay home with his family. We skipped camps this summer because of his knee injury. Can't the other 2 coaches handle things for a couple camps? And no, the schoolboard nor principal at South will do anything. There commitment is no better.

OK, obvious frustration from a South Athletics fan.

My conference picks...right now it's SH, TN High, DB....the rest is up for grabs with the exception of Boone and Crockett.

2Rebels, Do I know you? And Kudos to Eric Rowe. He has paid his dues.

I'm certain you do, Comp.

No reason to hold it back 2rebels ...way to let it out. I understand your frustration and I understand coaches have a tough job...but if one does not have a passion for it and the competitive fire to give their best to those players passing through trying to get the most out of their one chance, then that coach should get out of coaching.Unfortunately many coaches do not hold themselves to the same standard of "give your all" that they hold their players to.