Dragons vs. Mustangs

cleansheet1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not for me to enjoy it or not. You said in your previous post in reference to Germantown's being a defensive team:

The goal of any soccer game is to score one more goal than your opponent....it's a fine balance.

I was merely pointing out that they had indeed done exactly that against Collierville (scored one more than there opponent).

But my main observation was it would be interesting to see a strong defensive team against a strong offensive team. No "offense" meant to anyone at all. I agree with you that Germantown seems to have trouble finishing. Then again there are teams that are all about the offense at the expense of the defense. (You know who you are)

May I chime in on offense vs defense ? Germantown came up to visit us this past week and all we heard was no offense and superior defense, well the hype was right on .We kept the ball down at our end so much , but we never could manuever the ball into the net. Their goalie made some very good stops and that #12 HAS TO BE THE BEST DEFENDER IN STATE.That whole defensive line for them was very fast and kept our high scoring forwards off balance . If one of them wasn't swarming you then 2 others were and they continued to clear the ball. So i agree that games are won on the offensive side but it seems like the Germantown team is playing not to lose, and trying to score on some sets. My daughter told me that they have not been scored on by 75 percent of the teams that they played , so my hat is off to them , because there D is fearless, and I say that because we have a high powered offense.

Houston 2

Gtown 0

Eventhough Gtown defense is good there is just not enough offense to give the D a break against a team that is one of the best teams in the state. Houston D has it weaknesses but Gtown doesn't have anything to exploit it. Mid field play for Gtown will be critical to help relieve pressure. This game could be a 0-0 or 1-0 Houston but not my prediction this week.

If gtown can stay tied or only down 1 half way through 2nd half then pressure shifts to houston and things could get interesting but.....

FYI- the offense vs defense arguement is interesting...you do the best with what you got while still trying to play the best soccer possible. eventhough gtown is limited they don't sit everyone in the box...due to lack of depth vs high level teams they do have a tendacy to play "reactive" soccer vs "proactive"...the coach would love for them to be more "offensive" but many players are limited in their soccer experience.

The reason for the 5-0 prediction: Yes a good offense against a good defense. Based on watching the both squads play and how they defend vs how they score, the Mustangs will have the upper hand in this quickly. You will have to catch them to step in front of them and based on what I watched, it won't happen. Had it taken place earlier in the year, it may have been a surprise, but not this late in the season. In addition to the Mustangs being a good offense, they possess other qualities which will keep them moving the net. I would love to be wrong to spice things up at playoff time but Coach W has these girls peaked at the right time.

I think your scenario is very plausible if Germantown's midfield doesn't step up and slow down the attack. They can't just focus on trying to shut down Olivia Harrison, because senior, Tish Blankenship, is an effective playmaker as well, and when she is on her game she is hard to stop.

I think your scenario is very plausible if Germantown's midfield doesn't step up and slow down the attack. They can't just focus on trying to shut down Olivia Harrison, because senior, Tish Blankenship, is an effective playmaker as well, and when she is on her game she is hard to stop.

I am not as keen as you guys and ladies on the girls names .Defense doesn't get you all the pub , but it has be played from the heart and the GermTown defenders have alot of heart . That goes for any sport, whatever it may be. I saw the goalie and them 4 defenders last week and they are quick and fearless. Yes i have never seen Houston play, and I know they get alot ink, well deserved im sure . BUT DON'T BE SHOCKED IF THAT SWARMING DEFENSE STOPS THEM COLD .All them defenders are very aggressive and that number 12 is probably the best centerback in high school , don't know her name but she is AMAZING !!! Furthermore in all team sports don't you play D 1st ? I know you all have heard this cliche OFFENSE SELLS tickets and DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.