State basketball signings

Indian

Good players go to all sorts of leagues but any time there's an SEC commitment/signing it's noteworthy. A question-Is the quality of play in Memphis/talent of the players that much better than it used to be or with the Internet, interest in the game improving, is it just getting more noticed?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is noteworthy that 80% of the SEC commitments in the state are from Memphis. Memphis has always been known for its athleticism, but the coaching has been lacking and Memphis teams have been labled "run and gun". Now, thankfully, Memphis can boast of some of the best coaching at the high school and AAU/Exposure level--coaching that is worthy of the city's enormous talent. I think the "rising tide" in the popularity of womens' basketball is raising all boats so that coaching the girls' team is no longer a second choice gig or consolation prize.

Sadly, it seems, UT may be the last to notice that things in Memphis have changed. I know girls who have received offers from and are being recruited by every team in the SEC (and most in the ACC) but sadly haven't received even a letter from Tennessee. Of course there's Avant, but remember she committed four years ago!

It is noteworthy that 80% of the SEC commitments in the state are from Memphis. Memphis has always been known for its athleticism, but the coaching has been lacking and Memphis teams have been labled "run and gun". Now, thankfully, Memphis can boast of some of the best coaching at the high school and AAU/Exposure level--coaching that is worthy of the city's enormous talent. I think the "rising tide" in the popularity of womens' basketball is raising all boats so that coaching the girls' team is no longer a second choice gig or consolation prize.

Sadly, it seems, UT may be the last to notice that things in Memphis have changed. I know girls who have received offers from and are being recruited by every team in the SEC (and most in the ACC) but sadly haven't received even a letter from Tennessee. Of course there's Avant, but remember she committed four years ago!

I hate to say it BBall, but UT is on a different level than all the other SEC schools. Pat can get anyone in the country not just Tennessee. You know this. Don't mean to insult you but how many TN girls are top 20 in the nation. Those are who she recruits. While Avant has committed will she sign in the early period?

I hate to say it BBall, but UT is on a different level than all the other SEC schools. Pat can get anyone in the country not just Tennessee. You know this. Don't mean to insult you but how many TN girls are top 20 in the nation. Those are who she recruits. While Avant has committed will she sign in the early period?

Some might say that you're only as good as your last season--even with five All Americans. Auburn, Vandy, LSU and Florida all finished ahead of UT in the conference. Now of course Pat Summit is a legend and UT is the dream program for a ton of talented girls, I'm just saying that UT may be overlooking a lot of talent right in its own backyard.

Add Kamiko Williams to that list also. All those kids from Memphis you are referring to are all good players but signing in the SEC doesn't mean you can play at Tennessee, LSU, Vanderbilt, Georgia or even Auburn. They have signed with the basement dwellers in the SEC in most years, those teams can't even compete with the mid-major schools in our state. Case in point Alabama gets whipped last year at MTSU by 30. Granted Miss St. had a great season last year but can they keep that up year in year out, like the teams mentioned above.

Add Kamiko Williams to that list also. All those kids from Memphis you are referring to are all good players but signing in the SEC doesn't mean you can play at Tennessee, LSU, Vanderbilt, Georgia or even Auburn. They have signed with the basement dwellers in the SEC in most years, those teams can't even compete with the mid-major schools in our state. Case in point Alabama gets whipped last year at MTSU by 30. Granted Miss St. had a great season last year but can they keep that up year in year out, like the teams mentioned above.

Well, Jasmine James is at Georgia, I don't consider that a basement dwelling program. Who knows why Robinson chose Alabama, she could have chose a different conference. The girls I'm specifically referring to HAVE offers and interest from LSU, Vandy, and Auburn, just check the gyms this year.

Madison Lee, McMinn Central guard, to Lee University:

http://dpa.xtn.net/dynamic/Sports/Story/159328

8 points, 5 rebounds, less than a couple of steals and assists per game, shows how stats can be very deceiving when they're used to judge players. Just about every Lee signee I'm familiar with in the last couple of years could have been a 20+ scorer if they were a one-girl show on their high school teams.

First, congratulations to all our Tennessee girls on their scholarship offers! There are two ways to look at college ball. Is basketball a way to pay for college so that they can get a job immediately after college? Or is college basketball viewed as another stepping stone to WNBA which we all know is a very elite club. I would think that a basketball scholarship is a way to pay for college for most. Kayci Ferris would appear to be the winner of the group so far with a scholarship to Vanderbilt which is a nationally recognized highly respected college with a huge price tag while still getting to play in the SEC. I'm looking forward to seeing our girls play on television and really didn't realize how many we will get to see play regularly. As far as the Pat Summit posts, IMO she is and will always be the gold standard of women's basketball coaches.

...I'm looking forward to seeing our girls play on television and really didn't realize how many we will get to see play regularly...

I'm with you on that point! The SEC just signed a new eight-year (or something like that) contract with ESPN to show more games than ever. We're thinking about switching to satellite so we can see as many games from the Sun Belt, OVC and CUSA as possible too. :thumb: