Sunbright @ Wartburg

banjo

Ok it's less than 5 hours from game time. This game has been talked about since before last season even started. I'm a proud Sunbright Alumnus and bleed blue and gold through and through and can tell you for a fact that shocker and footballer are not Sunbright players. Having played basketball for Coach Stephens, I know that he wouldn't let something like this happen. These guys would have been kicked off the team before the season even started if he found out that they were some of his players. These two are a disgrace to Sunbright and the community. That is if they are even from Sunbright.

Now for the game. I truthfully don't see either team blowing out the other. I was impressed with Wartburg against Coalfield. They dominated that game from start to finish on offense and defense. Sunbright has been on and off this season. Its a matter of which team shows up. Will it be the team that was at the OZ game and the games that they won, or will it be the team that showed up against Oneida and Coalfield? That has just as much to do with the outcome as Wartburg's D against Sunbright O does.

Someone said on here that Wartburg has the #1 pass defense in the state. That might be true statistically, but realistically how many true passing teams have they played? (And that's not sarcasm, that's an honest question). Sunbright is possibly the first true test to the passing defense, because the teams they have played have been run based offenses for the most part. Sunbright has running ability but rely on their passing game to help set up the run.

Sunbright's D has been shaky, to put it lightly, this season. But they have moments in games where they play great assignment defense and can stop whatever is thrown at them. In my opinion the major key for Sunbright isn't whether their offense shows up, it is whether or not their defense can step up. If they can stop wartburg's running game and force them to have to pass, then it will be a good game for them because in the Coalfield game Wartburg couldn't complete a forward pass to save their lives, but fortunately it didn't matter because their running game was so good against the Jackets.

So for my prediction, I will have to go with the Tigers. I don't see their offenst sputtering two weeks in a row. So I go Sunbright in a shootout. 33-26.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rufus, nice post-well spoken and nicely put. I'd LIKE TO THINK that footballer and shocker aren't part of the Sunbright team; like you say they are a disgrace. Should be a good game tonight. Are Wartburg's playoff chances shot? Does anybody know if a win tonight could get them a wild card slot?

From what I can tell from the TSSAA playoff possibilities on their website. Wartburg can still earn a wildcard but their chances are very slim even if they do win tonight. This is due to the fact that Oneida and OS are both ahead of them in the District and winning tonight will only give them a 4-6 record. But who knows as far as what determines the wildcard spots. For all we know they are throwing darts a dart board to determine them. The possibilities are as followed:

District 4 Class 1A

Sunbright If Sunbright wins they are an automatic qualifier, otherwise they may only qualify as a wild card.

Coalfield If Coalfield wins or if Wartburg wins, they are an automatic qualifier, otherwise they may only qualify as a wild card.

Oakdale May only qualify as a wild card

District 4 Class 2A

Oneida 1st place qualifier

Oliver Springs 2nd place qualifier

Wartburg Central May only qualify as a wild card

Jellico May only qualify as a wild card

As you can see, according to this, if Coalfield and Sunbright both win tonight, they BOTH automatically qualify for the playoffs. I'm not sure how this works but that is what the info indicates.

The puppies can be county champions every year, do they make a trophy for that? I think Sunbright would take a gold ball in Cookeville any day...and they have a shot at it while Wartburg will have to sit at home and watch them on TV and think about what coulda been. Sunbright handed the game to you guys and you know it...these mistakes will be corrected and not happen in the playoffs. I am just sick to my stomach that Sunbright GAVE the win to Wartburg, even U have to admit that!! I hope you guys will tune into the state championship here in a month or so since u guys will be at the house

Great Job Dogs, seniors way to go out with a win! The game tonight was a good one. Sunbright played hard. shocker and ole tiger, I would not jump on the playoff bus just yet your fate is in the selection commities hands now, by the way you certain few that say sunbright gave Wartburg the game, you did'nt give Wartburg the game there defence took it fom you. You might of had more total offence but they shut the door on you when they needed to. To all the real players at Sunbright good game.

To the football idiots at sunbright.. shut up. all of you. you make your selves fools by gettin on here and downing a team that beat you. i give it to sunbright you played hard and actually had some class. which is hard to believe coming from what we have to go through every day on here. and if you go to the playoffs i say goodluck. i try to support all the county teams. no matter how bad they down us or how often they show lack of class. good job dogs!