Big 8 Baseball

Gabby

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the DB-SH game last night. I would have enjoyed it more if SH had won.

Nevertheless, I have always been impressed in how well DB plays fundamentally sound baseball. Being from the old school, I find an inherent beauty in fundamental baseball--getting the bunt down, good base running, making the routine play, throwing to the right base, etc. I wish each school would place much more emphasis on the fundamentals at every level (freshman, JV, and varsity).

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the log jam in first place, I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about the Big 8.

I believe THS, Dobyns-Bennett, Science Hill, and Crockett all have one loss, and South has two. Science Hill still has to play THS and South in the first round. It will be interesting to see how the recent rain outs affect each teams pitching when the teams play three games in a week.

Any body have any big surprises other the log jam.

Looks like most of teams have 2 pitchers they roll with after that it drops off. All of the top 5 teams have 5 or more that can put the bat on the ball well.

2 things will seperate log jam at the top once the make up games commence....

1. The team with the least mistakes should win.

2. The team that can develope a 3rd pitcher

The Big 8 Tournament is going to be quite a doozy. My guess is the regular season champ will have at least 4 losses. Seeding will be everything in the Tourney. Aces on the mound game one then it's going to get real dirty.

DB gets a 1-2 punch next week with Dino and Freeman. (or maybe thats 2 left jabs)

May need to rename the BIG 8 to the Big 3 ...Lefty U

Did I hear correct this morning that Crockett also lost last night to West Greene?

This conference is as weird as I have ever seen in baseball. Science Hill beats THS and Crockett then loses to Boone with a freshman pitching 7 innings for Boone. Boone beats DB and SH but loses to Volunteer. THS goes on a terror then loses to Central. Tourney will be will to day the least.

Who is the best team in the Big 8? Certainly there isnt much consistencey from any team thus far. Some teams only have 2-3 good pitchers on staff and after that its not much. Science Hill has Dino of course and the good freshman, DB has the Brandon kid, TN High with Mullins and Cunningham, Crockett with D-1 Freeman and Marty, and Connell with Boone. Anybody else that should be noted? Did i read where Boone threw a freshman against Science Hill and won? Sounds like Boone may have a good pitching staff for the next couple years. I dont think they have a senior pitcher on the staff. Maybe one or 2. Anybody for sure? Good luck to all teams. "Full Eyes, Clear Hearts, Cant Lose" :thumb:

In my opinion, there are a number of good sophmore pitchers that aren't quite ready this year, but should be ready to go next year. Their bodies haven't caught up with their arms.

Science Hill has a strong cadre of sophmore pitchers and another freshman to go along with junior Daniel Norris and freshman Will Craig next year. THS has the sophmore left-hander Vance who is probably going to be pretty good. Boone has the sophmore Martin kid who hasn't had much support, but has pitched well. DB had a sophmore that handled SH pretty well in the first game.

Usually there is a definite gain in strength between the sophmore and junior year. Many of these sophmores are going to fill out over the summer and get stronger. That's why there are more seniors playing varsity than there are freshmen and sophmores.

With Norris, Connell, and Marti returning next year, and a load of sophmores waiting in the wings, I think hitters are going to find it a little harder next year.