Question about a rule......

GCPioneer

senator wrote:

if its a violation to go out of bounds then its done a lot when defending on side or base lines and a player often retrieves a ball out of bounds but never touches it and no violation is called and the ONLY time I've seen a violation called is if the player touches the ball while out of bounds. I know a techical is called if too many players on floor and I've seen refs lay the ball down when players are still in huddle and the violation is 5 second call if player dosen't get ball in play but not for being out of bounds. I also know you can play with 4 players so I don't know what the violation would be based on.

Your right to a point. players do run out of bounds but in attemps to make a play on the ball. This player was just out of bounds not making any basketball attempt. You can even avoid contact by running out of bounds but standing there is gaining an advantage because the defense is being spread outside the court of play. You can play with 4 players but if a 5 is to join the game they must check in they cant just run onto the floor. In this case it you could look at it as he stood out and would be comming into the game as an illegal substitution. MOST officials will not make that call unless he noticed it repeatedly and it was giving the other team an advantage.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The player was away from where the ball was at, but so was everyone else on the floor except for the player dribbling the ball and the defender. They were standing at the top of the key between the three point line and the half court line. The violation was called on the baseline as our player was awaiting to see what play our coach was going to call. He obviously wasn't aware that he was standing out of bounds, but it's not like he was standing by the wall or anything. He was just on the other side of the baseline. On the next posession for Trenton back down the court, they hit a buzzard beater to win it. I'm upset with the call in the fact that it did cost us the game. I'm not upset at the referee as it is his job to make those types of calls. I'm definately not as informed as referees are about calls such as this. He ref'd a great game that was close the whole way. This call had just thrown me for a loop, especially when the call was made.

I love this statement! I bet GC hit every one of their shots, including all free throws.. right.. This one single call cost GC the game? Give me a break.. I would be willing to bet that if you looked really hard you can find, say, a couple dozen missed opportunities (missed shots, missed offensive rebounds, turnovers, etc..) that could have won the game for GC if they had just executed properly... But NO, it has to be this one call, on this one possession that cost you the game... :roflolk:

The player was away from where the ball was at, but so was everyone else on the floor except for the player dribbling the ball and the defender. They were standing at the top of the key between the three point line and the half court line. The violation was called on the baseline as our player was awaiting to see what play our coach was going to call. He obviously wasn't aware that he was standing out of bounds, but it's not like he was standing by the wall or anything. He was just on the other side of the baseline. On the next posession for Trenton back down the court, they hit a buzzard beater to win it. I'm upset with the call in the fact that it did cost us the game. I'm not upset at the referee as it is his job to make those types of calls. I'm definately not as informed as referees are about calls such as this. He ref'd a great game that was close the whole way. This call had just thrown me for a loop, especially when the call was made.

I agree that is a weird call and came at an inopportune time for the pioneers. However, that single call did not cost the pioneers the game. In fact, GC boys could have been called for a Technical foul for running the baseline when they entered the court (On the runout). However, that same referee that made the delay of game call also elected to only warn the GC team instead of calling the foul.