Top 5 reasons for leaving

BROKEDOWN

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rankin is one of the best coaches in the history of Tennessee, professional or otherwise, period. Saying "anyone could do the same with that talent" is a fallacy, as any successful team requires talent. Talent doesn't always just magically appear either, coaching is a large part of it. Especially over long periods of time. Your Maryville example is a good one.

You want to talk about a great coaching job , Maryville's coach. Came to their school lost his first 4 games and then you know the rest. Look at the improvement in Maryville's team this year. I don't think Rankin or Alcoa want's any of that right now. NOW THAT'S A COACHING JOB!!!!!!

To the best of my knowledge, these numbers are correct:

Smith County's Record the three seasons before Rankin: 6-24

Smith County started 0-10 under Rankin in his first year.

Smith County's next three seasons: 25-11 including a Semifinal appearance in class AA.

Smith County's final two seasons under Rankin: 20-2

The next two seasons: 16-6 (

It was 13 years before Smith County won 10 games in a season again.

Riverdale's record the two years before ranking: 7-13

Riverdale started 4-6 under Rankin in his first year.

Riverdale's next three seasons: 35-4 including a Silver ball in class AAA.

Under Rankin Riverdale won four state championships, the first in his fifth year at the school. He was also won a National High School Football Coach of the Year award while at Riverdale.

Riverdale

Rankin's worst season at Riverdale after his first year: 10-1

Riverdale's Record in the third year after he left: 5-5

Riverdale was a mediocre team before he got there, and a Championship contender every year he was there after the first. Smith County was a terrible team before he got there, became a very good team under him, and once again fell to being a terrible team when he began winning championships at Riverdale. I believe his record speaks for itself.

I dont get the point of this thread. Rankin will be around for a couple more years. I honestly expect him to stay until his daughter graduates and then retire and Coach Nix takes over.

I'm sorry you don't get the point of the thread. The point is Rankin won't be there next year. Give it a couple of months and then you will see what I mean. Remember, a great coach is the one that can win it without superior talent. Not real impressed with the coach that coaches at a school (such as Riverdale) and then leaves for another job as soon as they decide to build 2 more High Schools in Murfreesboro. The reason for leaving - "want to move to a smaller community" Do you really think that was the reason he left? Don't get me wrong, Alcoa is a great team, just don't think the coach is as great as he thinks he is in his own mind. Let's be honest with each other, any coach on that team and halve the people in the community could coach that team.

I agree. However, he has to have a little something going for him. Now, if he's heard about a new high school being built that will split up the talent....he's gone. Already proven that before....twice! When he left R'dale, he made it sound like all schools in Rutherford Co. were taken out of a scene from "Dangerous Minds". I highly doubt that was the reason he left. Any coach with "walking around" sense could win at Alcoa now, and R'dale in the '90's (should have won more titles if so great). If there's no truth to the rumor, then why was he spotted in a three piece at Siegal? Either he knows something, or he's playing Alcoa for more $$$. But don't say anything about him to R'dale, or Smith Co. fans. They think this guy hung the moon. OVERRATED in my eyes until proven otherwise!!! :D

Didn't he coach briefly in Smith County and if so what was his record there?

Someone correct me, but isn't the new school just going to be the "new" Alcoa High School, which means that essentially there will still be just ONE Alcoa high School. . . :thumb:

The new school will be AHS old school will become 7th and 8th. Middle school will be 4th 5th and 6th. elem. will be k-3rd. and if you had ever heard coach speak x's and o's you would know better than to say that he is overrated. Coach is no doubt smarter and better prepared than anyone that he faced this year. Yes I said anyone!!!! ;)

Someone correct me, but isn't the new school just going to be the "new" Alcoa High School, which means that essentially there will still be just ONE Alcoa high School. . . :thumb:

The new school will be AHS old school will become 7th and 8th. Middle school will be 4th 5th and 6th. elem. will be k-3rd. and if you had ever heard coach speak x's and o's you would know better than to say that he is overrated. Coach is no doubt smarter and better prepared than anyone that he faced this year. Yes I said anyone!!!! ;)

I just hope they dont agree to build a new football stadium. I know a lot of away teams are surprised cause they expect Alcoa to be playing at Neyland but Goddard is our home and no matter where the new school is we always need to play at Goddard.

Also, taking nothing away from Rankin but George Quarles is the best coach in Tennessee High School Football.

Tornado74: I think there is talk of building the stadium someplace else and building something where the present stadium sits. Sure wish somebody would let the people vote on this whole thing. People move into Alcoa for its size.

But, to this thread: Here we go again. Every year some idiot gets on here right around the time the state championship game is played and tries to take the focus away from the game at hand. Whether Rankin stays or goes is irrelevant right now. If he goes, good luck to him; he's brought a lot of class and discipline to a school and football team. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't had the opportunity to come; I don't think we would have gotten the sportsmanship award, for sure! And, if Rankin stays, even better! :thumb:

The new school will be AHS old school will become 7th and 8th. Middle school will be 4th 5th and 6th. elem. will be k-3rd.

That's what I thought. And it really doesn't matter if Rankin goes are not-I would wish him well, because he has taken the program to another level. However since I was born and raised in Alcoa and a Hall community product, I know where the talent pool flows from. Besides I think that Nix would do a great job as head coach if it came to that. It would preserve continuity. F5 Pounds the rock and brings back number eleven (I played on the first two and there is no 11 without 1) :thumb: