District 5 AA

bigclittleh

I'm not familiar enough with Tellico or Sweetwater to comment but here is my best stab at the rest:

There is no question that Coach K (I won't even try to spell it) has Sequoyah headed in the right direction. I'm not sure what they lost, but I do know that they have Allen back. As long he is on the mound and at the plate, Sequoyah will be dangerous.

Meigs returns a lot of quality players. Rowland, Goins, Mckinney(spell?), and Crabtree are all solid players. If that program can offer some type of stability (i.e., 5 coaches in 4 years), which I think Mason will do, they have the players to get to a region tournament.

Polk loses only 1 player off of last years club in Motlow State signee Jackson. They have only 1 senior on this year's team for the second straight year. However, there is no question their junior class (Webb, Maples, Hargrove, Lee, Allen) is incredibly talented. If they can develop some consistent pitching, they should challenge for the district title.

McMinn Central was probably hit hardest by graduation. They lose 7 starters and 2 of the top 3 pitchers off of last years state tournament team. However, Cowart, Green, and Moses will be 3 of the top players in the district, and as long as Moses is on the mound with Cowart behind the plate, McMinn Central will be tough for anyone to beat. IMO, until someone knocks off the 2 time defending champ, McMinn Central should be the favorite.

You hear every year about how improved Sequoyah is but they're always gonna be the fourth best team in this district no matter how you spin it. I think Polk will win it this year. They bring back a lot of offense and if their pitching improves any at all from last year they will be tough to handle.

Yea, keep running that mouth about Sequoyah. You have to realize we started from scratch 3 years ago when coach K came on board and have improved each year. We split with Polk and Meigs and Sweetwater last year. Sequoyah Junior class is similar to Polk, it is pretty strong. We will see what happens on the field this year!

Sequoyah did loose 5 seniors last year. I think this years team will be improved. This team will have young depth. They have a strong Junior and Soph class. The incoming Freshmen class may be the most talented in recent years. The Madisonville Middle School Team went undefeated this past year and many of these players have played competitive baseball for several years. The future is very brite at Sequoyah the next few years! Go Chiefs work hard this pre-season!

Order of Finish

McMinn Central

Sequoyah

Polk

Meigs

Sweetwater

This could be the most balanced this district has been in the last few years! Anyone can win it this year!

• 2 months later...

As the season gets closer, hopefully this cold weather will leave us soon!!! I am ready for some BASEBALL!!! Lets hear from all you dedicated fans from Central, Polk, Meigs, Sweetwater, and Sequoyah! How has the offseason went for everyone? Has anyone got to practice yet? The Chiefs have suffered two setbacks. We have two kids (R. Coley and C. Arp) that have arm troubles and look to be out for the season.

My opinion is that this district could belong to any one of the 5 teams. Sequoyha and Central got hit the hardest by losing several quality players from their senior line up last year. From my understanding Sweetwater's group is the same bunch of kids who went to the state tourney their last year of Dixie, Meigs has a new coach that flat out knows the game and will be very tough to beat, Polk only lost 1 starter and will be very tough as well. Something I do know about Sweetwater is that they have 1 very talented player but had he attend any of the other 4 schools, would not be playing his senior year but we are talking about Sweetwater ha ha. Its ashame this kid can't get his head screwed on right because the Athlete he is sky would have been the limit.

My opinion is that this district could belong to any one of the 5 teams. Sequoyha and Central got hit the hardest by losing several quality players from their senior line up last year. From my understanding Sweetwater's group is the same bunch of kids who went to the state tourney their last year of Dixie, Meigs has a new coach that flat out knows the game and will be very tough to beat, Polk only lost 1 starter and will be very tough as well. Something I do know about Sweetwater is that they have 1 very talented player but had he attend any of the other 4 schools, would not be playing his senior year but we are talking about Sweetwater ha ha. Its ashame this kid can't get his head screwed on right because the Athlete he is sky would have been the limit.

It is a ashame because that young man could have went somewhere if he had applied himself. I think this season will be like the basketball season. No one will run away with the district title this year. I think whoever wins it will have 2 or 3 losses. The district tournament will be exciting this year. Good luck Chiefs!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday March 6 @ Loudon; Central lost to Alcoa, Sweetwater beat Kingston, and Sequoyah beat Loudon. I did not get to see the Central game and only 1 inning of Sweetwater so really don't know how they looked. The Chiefs really hit the ball well and played solid on defense but I think Loudon is really down from years past.