Anderson County Players in National Championship

bratman

I just spoke to some old friends in Tennessee and learned that two former Anderson County players are competing for National Volleyball Championship rings with their respective colleges. Kelsey Leffew is the setter for Lee University and is in the elite eight. Kelsey was a 3 year starter at AC and is all-conference in college. Ashley Pittman is starting for King College, and is also in the elite eight down in Orlando. Ashley was another 3 year starter at AC who is putting up big numbers at King.

Anderson County has produced more college players than any other high school in the history of the state of Tennessee. These young ladies are showing what a high level Tennessee volleyball players can obtain by both starting, and excelling for two of the top college programs in the nation!

Currently several ex-Anderson County Players are playing college volleyball including Alex Sain at Austin Peay; Kelsey Dew at Cumberland; Emily Dupree at Covenant. AC has produced over 40 college players (and Norris High which closed to open AC in 1982 produced 15-20 more) including 2 that played at the University of Tennessee; multiples at Tenn Tech; ETSU; Rhodes; Austin Peay; University of Alabama and over 20 other colleges.

Tennessee volleyball can hold its head high! Even here in Iowa we know that TN produces great volleyball talent.

Kelsey and Ashley we wish you the best of luck, and bring a couple of National Titles back to Tennessee!!!!

Brat, good see you are posting. Yes, I have looked at rosters lately and have seen a number of Anderson county players playing. Austin Peay is the highest level school I have found. Many Tennessee players have played in NAIA, DII and the NCAA this year from the many conferences that spread across Tennessee and you have mentioned them. The amazing thing abouit it is those schools who do not make it to Tournament and are in Tennessee are a little light of Tennessee players. You already knew that Dobyns Bennett won the state this year and the MVP was a player whose mother is Coach at ETSU and is a great player. Karns was 4th or fifth. Its been a great year this year for Volleyball. UT was in the NCAA as well as MTSU and Lipscomb. It has been a great year.

I think it is amazing when 1 school puts so many players in college year after year. Is there any other sport or school that has so many athletes go on to college with an athletic scholarship?

When my daughter played over 40% of the girls )in the history of the school) went on to play college ball. If this were a football team they would build a monument.

I don't think any other school in the state of Tennessee has produced 10 college player, and between 1977-1982 (Norris High school which closed to open AC) and 1982-2009 Anderson County has produced over 60. That is essentially 2 EVERY YEAR!

Also, the number of former players that have gone on to coach at the high school and collegiate level is amazing. Former AC players have won state championships as coaches in Georgia; North Carolina and Alabama.

Since volleyball began in TN no school has accomplished more with the success of the athlete. If I were a player that wanted to play in college that is where I would go!

Times have changed and will continue to change. Competition will insure that. Club has improved the efficiencey of players and every school has the opportunity to attract true athletes in to the sport and in doing so the game has improved here. That being so, it is the reason why so many more qualified players from every school are showing up in college/universities. Other schools now are finding players showing up in College/universities. After looking at at the numbers, coaching is the difference along with the availability of good Club opportunities. Techniques are obvious without asking questions. Being able to attract players with the athletic "tools" is an obvious advantage. Like it or not, athletes who used to play other sports have found VB and it has helped the whole situation of gender participation while hurting none. The situation will continue with sports like Lecrosse, etc. While AC, just with the numbers has added players to the coaching profession, now a whole new group from many schools are now providing assistance and the sport is going to be constitantly better without anyone even realizing it happening. Now there is going to be showing up a whole new group of qualified assistant coaches who will help raise the level of play. But even they will hve to be sensitive to the fact that the whole game has been changed and they too need to continue to look for differences that make a difference. Brat, the sport does not stay the same and while AC's past players were great, the game has changed in just the past 5-6 years and the coaching situation is whether the coaches have changed with it. Those that have wind up with programs that continue to have well trained players and have clubs who have teachers that have kept the techniques updated.

PH, the more things change the more they stay the same. AC has been in the state finals twice in the last 5 years, and I would not be surprised if they were back next year! Club helps the schools that don't have as strong a program. Schools like Karns locally, or your own schools at Seigal and Ravenwood really benefit from club instruction. I have always said that great PROGRAMS really exist on their own. I think that a school like AC has it figured out, much like Maryville and Alcoa football. Develop a strong system, work hard, have confidence in your philosophy and DON"T buy into every new idea that comes along.

Brat things do change. A number of players have played club in the past few years. The names of the players have been found on SRVA registration forms and coached by people posting on this site along with parents. Of course, everyone has left since you stopped posting some time back. You'll have to deal with them on that as there was more than one posting on the subject. Have a good Holiday.

Bratman and Phargis:

Kelsey Leffew and her team mates the Lee Lady Flames completed their season at 40 - 6 finishing 3rd in the NAIA Division 1 National Championship in Souix City Iowa.

The tournament began Monday afternoon with pool play.

Lee won the pool F 3-0.

#6 Gerogetown, (KY) 3-0 25-22, 25-21, 25-20

Georgetown finished national championship runner-up

#7 Columbia (Mo.) 3-0 25-18, 25-14, 25-22

#20 Lubbock Christian (TX) 3-1 25-22, 25-21, 25-20

#19 Lee University (TN)

Lee then began Single Elmination by defeating #16 ranked Taylor (Ind.), 3-2 25-18, 25-23, 23-25, 21-25, 15-10.

In the Quarterfinals Lee defeated #3 ranked Northwestern College (Iowa) 3-1 25-20, 25-12, 25-27, 25-15

In the Semifinals Lee was deated by Georgetown (Ky.) but the match went the distance 3-2, 25-16, 16-25, 25-11, 19-25, 15-9, yesterday Saturday the 5th.

Lee is considered a very young team with 2 Sr, 2 jrs. and 7 soph that are in their rotations.

I was extremely proud of Kelsey :thumb: and the Lady Flames. They started the season ranked 40th and finished 3rd in the Nation.

I believe Ashley Pittman and the King Lady Tornados, finished 2009 at 29-12 overall and was playing in the NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association) Championship however I am not sure how it turned out for them.

Hopi, Not only do I appreciate your post but I bet most of the Lee supporters around Cleveland had a party and celebrated your success. I followed the match as far as when I think you beat Freed Hardeman and now understanding you played Georgetown which has some Tennessee players playing on it from Chattanooga, the connection might be made. Tennesse players are showing up everywhere even UT. Haven't heard how they wound up but awaiting someone to post on here how they did. I again appreciate your post and recognize all of those battling VB'ers and the great Coaches from the State that are making all of this possible. If you didn't read my post, there is no CollegeUniversity in the State whose Volleyball Record should not be a winning one if you will just look around you close by and see the great play in State. And High School Coaches, keep getting them ready and keep your teaching skills up.

I know they finished 29 - 12 for the season but went 2 - 2 in NCCAA Christian National

Pool A

#1 Mt. Vernon Nazarene University (OH)

#4 Northwestern College (MN)

#5 King College (TN)

#8 Bryan College (TN)

#9 Southeastern University (FL)

Pool B

#2 Campbellsville University (KY)

#3 Southwestern Assemblies of God University (TX)

#6 Malone University (OH)

#7 Spring Arbor University (MI)

#10 Pensacola Christian College (FL)

Northwestern (won)25-22, 17-25, 19-25, 25-18, 15-11 Final

vs

King

Mt. Vernon Nazarene

vs

King (WON) 24-26 26-24 22-25 25-18 13-15 Final

King

vs

Bryan (WON) 22-25 25-21 25-14 15-25 15-17 Final

King (WON) 25-15 25-17 25-20 Final

vs

Southeastern

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• It is what it is. Sorry DFL.
    • One of the biggest loosing teams in Mid-State are the Macon County Tigerettes. I have noticed that the roster is smaller than in the years past. All the senior's have quit. We have a great group of Jr High players coming up. I sure hope they don't loose them, like they have lost so many others this year. With this young group of girls coming up, a weaker district, they should have no problem going to State. 
    • It was updated this season, because I did it.  Linder is the school's all-time leading rusher at 5,156 yards with 2,436 of those coming in 2014. 
    • Oh, I’m sure you did. Maybe you heard just a rumor, but considering we have a football practice field and a soccer field that’s frequently used for lacrosse games and practices, I highly doubt it. Let me change that. I know for a fact that didn’t happen.   Glad you finally stopped attacking a bunch of high school students, but still obsessed with the coaching staff for some unknown reason, even though you could name more than three (at most) coaches without looking it up. But now come up with something else.
    • You really mean the Price twin boys and Lyin Larry.