Harpeth Invitational Results

mrwrestling

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Gannon has ref'd many of our matches at Rossview over the years, and I have never seen him purposely call a match unfairly against one of our kids. I don't think he is biased against Rossview at all. The Heavyweight match could've went either way. Mr. Gannon is a professional, and has always treated our kids fairly.

I was at Harpeth, and I am just wondering what team wasn't as good as the results say, Knuckles? Would that be Ravenwood, Rossview, BA? Harpeth??

I thought Ravenwood looked very good, and BA looked good for a young team. Harpeth has some pretty strong wrestlers, and Rossview has been working very hard in the off season.

Harpeth benifited fom Rossview misfortune all day!!!!!! Harpeth is no way as good as they finished!!!!

I agree with Knuckles1975 all the way!!!!

I haven't ever had a reason to post until now. My son has been wrestling for six or seven years and have lost several tournaments. We learn from our mistakes and never blame anyone but ourselves. Yesterday's display of blatent misconduct forced me to air my concerns in the only public forum that I know of. I apologize if you are offended by all of us calling out your co-workers and peers but this is the only place I know to air my concerns. I haven't ever had a problem with a ref before to this extreme and know they are doing tough jobs and I do appreciate the job they are doing. When I do my job incorrectly I do get called out for it and expect for them to also. I also continue my education but still make mistakes, they are only human as you so stated. A mistake was made yesterday and when kids are involved it is hard to stand back and keep quiet.

Once again, what you see from the stands is not always what is happening on the mat. You may have seen a person, who you thought was pinned, but was not. The only form of "blatant misconduct" that should really be spoken of is if a ref were to yell at a coach or wrestler, or start a fight or something. Getting on here and saying that you thought a ref made a bad call just isnt right. Ill give you the same advice that I have been given for years, if you think you could do it better put on the pinstipes and do it. But dont be surprised when people start criticizing you.

I defintly agree that officiating is a very difficult task, and I fully respect officials and what they do. But we are not talking about one or two questionable calls, we are talking about multiple matches throughout the day that a referee was making partial calls. When it happens 5-6 times in one day, suspicion arises whether it was what a ref actually saw or what he wanted the outcome to be.

If a referee truthfully and honestly refs a match to his utmost honest and unbiased way that he perceived what was happening, then I have the most respect for them, even if I think it was a bad call. It's when a referee shows multiple signs of being partial is where I disagree.

I haven't ever had a reason to post until now. My son has been wrestling for six or seven years and have lost several tournaments. We learn from our mistakes and never blame anyone but ourselves. Yesterday's display of blatent misconduct forced me to air my concerns in the only public forum that I know of. I apologize if you are offended by all of us calling out your co-workers and peers but this is the only place I know to air my concerns. I haven't ever had a problem with a ref before to this extreme and know they are doing tough jobs and I do appreciate the job they are doing. When I do my job incorrectly I do get called out for it and expect for them to also. I also continue my education but still make mistakes, they are only human as you so stated. A mistake was made yesterday and when kids are involved it is hard to stand back and keep quiet.

Once again, what you see from the stands is not always what is happening on the mat. You may have seen a person, who you thought was pinned, but was not. The only form of "blatant misconduct" that should really be spoken of is if a ref were to yell at a coach or wrestler, or start a fight or something. Getting on here and saying that you thought a ref made a bad call just isnt right. Ill give you the same advice that I have been given for years, if you think you could do it better put on the pinstipes and do it. But dont be surprised when people start criticizing you.

You must have been the ref that called the Belcher Baker Match yesterday. That must be why they got Best MATCH.. Trying to make up for the MISTAKE!!! ?? Its funny that if you were not there but you have the right to get on here and tell the many people who saw the same thing that we are WRONG!!!! ROSSVIEW was robbed... Wilson Central was robbed and there were several other BETTER WRESTLERS that went home empty handed.. Not all REF's are as bad as they were yesterday. I know several REF's that are FAIR and have come to the wrestlers and shook there hand and admitted mistakes that were made during the match. I have not heard anyone on here say all the REF's are BAD... I think your upset because maybe you are one of the ones there yesterday. That tournament does not mean anything in standings or ranking, But how in the world can SOME ref's deal with taking the BEST WRESTLER and looking him in the eye and say OH WELL!!!!! I watch one coach and one Parent take the same REF out in the hall and CHEW him out. Hillsboro i think it was. They said THEY have never seen such BAD calls and would never be back!!! Now the few that have spoken on her can't all be WRONG can WE? Not including the others that were there? COME ON? GIVE US A BREAK!!!!! This doesn't change anything on what happend yesterday but from what I have heard today, We will see the ref's coming and know what to expect.....

I am the coach for Rossview and I have dealt with John Gannon for 3 years now. I would like to go on record and say that I find John to be a highly professional ref! I respect him as a person and as a ref! I am not sure who afan2 is... I can only hope they are not one of my wrestlers and they better hope they are not one of my wrestlers!!!!

In my 3 years of dealing with John we have bumped heads on several occasions on a call but that is the nature of the beast... and there has been several calls made on me by him for argueing a call... 99.9% of them I deserved because as a Coach I want my kids to know I am willing to go to bat for them!

John if you are reading this I would like to express my regrets that anyone would bring up bad memories from the past. It shows they do not know you as a person or your level of integrity for the sport.

You cannot come on here and cut down our officials "professionally" unless you have gotten trained and called matches yourself for the TSSAA. I believe most refs call it like they see it. I believe some wrestlers may get more or less favorable calls by their attitudes and good/bad sportsmanship. We see this in all sports as refs will try to balance the competition to some degree. Consistentancy is one of the greatest qualities of a fine ref. I see progress in Tennessee officiating. Go out and put the stripes on and I bet you your perspective will change.

As a Wilson Central Coach all I want to say is this, we train and teach our wrestlers to stay off thier backs and if they get on thier backs to never give up the fight. Well as we all know that does not always happen. We will just train harder and I am a firm believer that if you get pinned then you deserved it and that you should not have allowed yourself to be in that position in the first place. Jacob Belcher cannot blame anyone for his loss but himself and as far as I am concerned no one else is the blame either!

We are Wildcats and cats do not land on thier backs!

Coach Mahaney