TN KY Border Bowl Jan. 16th

colonel

Buck Coatney of Fulton selected to coach the TN team in the Border Bowl. Good choice! This game has great potential due to the big names that can possibly be attracted from both states. Word is the selection committee is picking the players now. The biggest name player from KY they are trying to get being Chris Collinsworth's son from Fort Thomas Highlands (committment to Cincinnati).

Appears to me that most students picked are from the central to east regions of the respective states. I hope this can someday change due to the great talent in the far west regions, but I'm sure it is necessary while they are getting it built up. I know the first year, a lot of KY coaches didn't send in the nomination forms on their players and some missed out, so I hope all TN coaches didn't fail to do so. Was a good game, but dominated by Randell Cobb and a loaded TN team. Ky won it last year.

So far looks like good sponsorship being they have the national guard on board.

Good chance game will be on TV in both states as well. A Knoxville TV station (possibly WBIR) has a sister station around Harland KY which will be carrying the game (as well as Lexington and Louisville) and they be jump on with the broadcast as well.

Check out website below.

Website below.

http://www.ky-tn-borderbowl.com/

I don't really know how much an athlete has to pay to participate in the game, if any. I do know that it is a non-profit event/organization with strong sponsorship from the National Guard. If there is a charge and I had a son worthy of being recruited, I would pay it to get him an extra look. You really don't know who will be watching the game that could lead to recommendation resulting in a scholarship. Also for the experience of playing in an all star game for the memories.

Darion Stone of Clinton really needs to be one of the QB's for the Tennessee team. I noticed that coach Davey Gilliam was one of the coaches for the Tennessee team (nice pick) and he would really know the talent of Stone at the position. I really felt he got "screwed" in the East vs West game last Saturday only getting to throw the ball twice while a less talented QB from Soddy Daisy got to throw the ball a record 31 times. No where near the arm strengh or accuarcy of Stone, but the Cleveland coach was calling playes and looked to help out a local kid. Give the kid a chance to show the scouts what he can do throwing the football please! I promise he won't disappoint.

Also the QB from Maryville Juhlin should be in this game as well. He also got "screwed" for not even being invited to play last Saturday.

Darion Stone of Clinton really needs to be one of the QB's for the Tennessee team. I noticed that coach Davey Gilliam was one of the coaches for the Tennessee team (nice pick) and he would really know the talent of Stone at the position. I really felt he got "screwed" in the East vs West game last Saturday only getting to throw the ball twice while a less talented QB from Soddy Daisy got to throw the ball a record 31 times. No where near the arm strengh or accuarcy of Stone, but the Cleveland coach was calling playes and looked to help out a local kid. Give the kid a chance to show the scouts what he can do throwing the football please! I promise he won't disappoint.

Also the QB from Maryville Juhlin should be in this game as well. He also got "screwed" for not even being invited to play last Saturday.

These games should be treated as showcases and every player should get an equal chance at snaps regardless of score or situation. Unfortunately, we have seen the opposite of this in the all-star games as coaches favor players they coached in high school or from their area. In the game last year in Kentucky, I saw a player only get a few snaps because of prejudices his position coach had toward his high school. The coaches, especially Coatney, should be forced to play every player. By the way, it cost $200 to play last year and it is well worth it if the kids are allowed to play. I challenge the coaches from both teams to treat everybody equally since there are college coaches watching. Who wins the game is irrelevant.

I agree about Stone. There's no excuse in this type of game not to rotate players, especially QBs, and give them an equal shot at making plays. I was glad to see that Wilson did well. Hazelhurst was back to his beastly self. Any word on where he's looking?

I have never seen anything like it personally in an all-star game. The east coaches really made it obvious they were from the Chatt. area. 31 times to 2 is terrible, you don't do that to a kid. You were right about Mr. Wilson. Some talent indeed! he really needs to go play college football, it would be a waste of talent if he didn't. As for Weston, I really think Carson Newman his high on his list. I personally feel he would be a great fit there on either side of the ball playing the full back postion in there offense or LB in their defense.

I agree about Stone. There's no excuse in this type of game not to rotate players, especially QBs, and give them an equal shot at making plays. I was glad to see that Wilson did well. Hazelhurst was back to his beastly self. Any word on where he's looking?

I have never seen anything like it personally in an all-star game. The east coaches really made it obvious they were from the Chatt. area. 31 times to 2 is terrible, you don't do that to a kid. You were right about Mr. Wilson. Some talent indeed! he really needs to go play college football, it would be a waste of talent if he didn't. As for Weston, I really think Carson Newman his high on his list. I personally feel he would be a great fit there on either side of the ball playing the full back postion in there offense or LB in their defense.

I would expect CN to recruit him as a LB. All 3 starting LB's graduate this year, and in CN's split-back veer there really isn't a fullback position. As a CN fan, I would love to see us pick up him and Stone both.

• 3 weeks later...