Pools changed for Kyle Maynard Duals??

barbwire

Can anyone confirm a rumor heard while at McCallie Invitational, that the pools previously shown have now been changed? And if so, what are the pools?

I'll see what I can find out.

I do know if Collins Hill and Brandon meets in the finals.....Collins Hill is supposed to break out some spiffy new black Penn State singlets.

RMC,

Thanks for investigating. Are you talking about the same singlets they wore for the Pope dual? Those singlets looked black on the video.

I don't think so..that was probably our dark green ones. I think they're trying to go for the "black out" since there are people coming from all over Georgia to watch this dual. Fans cheering for CH are asked to wear black!

I hope I can get in......talking like it'll be a sellout.

Also....if coming please bring $10 for the raffle....or any donation for the young McEachern wrestler. Tom Mitchell (TJ's dad) is leading the drive to help raise funds to offset the costs of the wrestler's leukemia treatments.

Not get in??? I am sure Coach Ramos will have a seat reserved for you!! Will see you there, just come introduce yourself to everyone wearing purple and you will find me. And let us all know what you find out about the pools? Still 4, 4 and 6?

So you're with Father Ryan........you get Mrs. Bateman to point me out.....she knows me...one of those family connections.

It would be confusing if we had Gilmer there.....then it would look like a Barney convention with all the purple!

RMC,

So how will they work the semis? Take top 2 teams out of Pool C?

Winner A vs 2nd place C

Winner B vs Winner C

???????????

Wednesday, December 23:

7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Weigh-in (Tucker is in the Dekalb Co. Tournament on Monday and Tuesday so there will be a 2 pound allowance).

9:00 a.m. – First Dual

Pools and order of matches:

Pool A: Collins Hill, Norcross, Tucker, Hepzibah

Pool B: Brandon, Parkview, Baylor, Grayson

Pool C: Father Ryan, Kennesaw Mountain, Henry Co., Bremen, Loganville, Ola

9:00

Collins Hill – Norcross (1) <-mat #

Brandon – Parkview (3)

F. Ryan – Ken. Mt.(5)

Hepzibah – Tucker (2)

Baylor – Grayson (4)

Henry – Bremen (6)

Loganville – Ola (7)

10:30

Collins Hill – Hepzibah (1)

Brandon – Baylor (3)

F. Ryan – Henry (5)

Norcross – Tucker (2)

Parkview – Grayson (4)

Ken. Mt. – L’ville (6)

Bremen – Ola (7)

12:00 – 12:30 – Presentation and demonstration by Kyle Maynard

12:30

Collins Hill – Tucker (1)

Brandon – Grayson (3)

F. Ryan – Bremen (5)

Norcross – Hepzibah (2)

Parkview – Baylor (4)

Kenn. Mt. – Ola (6)

Henry – L’ville (7)

Placement in the pools will be decided as follows:

• Overall Record

• Head to Head Competition

• Common Opponent

• Total Team Points

2:00 - Semifinals for Championship

#1 Pool A or B (highest point total) vs. #2 Pool C (Mat 1)

#1 Pool A or B (2nd highest point total) vs. #1 Pool C (Mat 2)

3:30 – Championship Match (Mat 1)

Third Place Match (Mat 2)

2:00 – Semifinals for Places 5-8

#2 Pool A or B (highest point total) vs. #4 Pool C (Mat 3)

#2 Pool A or B (2nd highest point total) vs. #3 Pool C (Mat 4)

3:30 – Fifth Place Match (Mat 3)

Seventh Place Match (Mat 4)

There will not be matches for eighth through 14th place. Each team will be paired up for two more matches as follows:

2:00: #5 Pool C vs. #3 Pool A (Mat 5)

#6 Pool C vs. #3 Pool B (Mat 6)

#4 Pool A vs. #4 Pool B (Mat 7)

3:30 #5 Pool C vs. #4 Pool A (Mat 5)

#6 Pool C vs. #4 Pool B (Mat 6)

#3 Pool A vs. #3 Pool B (Mat 7)

Some pre match hype.....

http://gnwa.org/article/post/show/id/24 ... als-finals

Collins Hill hopes to meet Brandon (Fla.) in Kyle Maynard Duals finals

December 22, 2009, 7:28pm

By Brandon Brigman

GNWA Correspondent

C.J. Collins was shocked when he read the GNWA message board on Monday. A senior on Collins Hill's team, Collins is used to people booing the Eagles or scrutinizing the program. Which is why he was shocked when he read some of the threads about Collins Hill's potential matchup with Florida power Brandon High School.

"Normally, most of Georgia hates us," Collins said. "People are actually saying 'Go Hill.' It’s nuts."

In one of the most anticipated duals meets ever in Georgia, nationally ranked Collins Hill and Brandon could meet in Wednesday's finals of the Kyle Maynard Duals at Collins Hill High School in Suwanee.

"If things play out the way we hope we’ll see them in the finals," Collins Hill coach Cliff Ramos said. "It’s going to be a really neat thing for Georgia, I think. If that happens, it will be the biggest dual there’s ever been in Georgia. A lot of interest, a very big crowd."

Brandon is ranked No. 6 in the nation by Amateur Wrestling News, while Collins Hill is No. 21. Both teams will have to get through the tournament to meet each other in the finals, but the way they've wrestled lately a matchup is likely.

"You’ve got to take it one match at a time, but I think if we wrestle to our potential we can meet up with Brandon in the finals," Collins said. "A lot of people are counting us out, but I think we can make a run for it."

Other teams in the tournament are Norcross, Tucker, Hepzibah, Parkview, Grayson, Kennesaw Mountain, Henry County, Bremen, Loganville, Ola and Tennessee powers Father Ryan and Baylor.

The potential Brandon vs. Collins Hill matchup has been in works for the last few years. The two teams could never settle on a date until this year. Brandon will wrestle in a national tournament in Wisconsin next week and did not want to wrestle in the Vestavia, Ala., tournament it typically competes in during Christmas break. That opened the door for the Kyle Maynard Duals.

"We've known Collins Hill has a really good program," Brandon coach Russ Cozart said. "They're a first class program. They are in the fast track. They all are really good teams. We're not only trying to win another state championship, we're trying to move up in the national rankings. Collins Hill and us have been No. 1 and No. 2 in the Southeast for a while. It's a match I'm looking forward to. I know Baylor and Father Ryan are pretty good, too. I haven't seen them in a while, but they are good."

Brandon is best know for The Streak it set from 1973 to 2008. During that span Brandon set national records for longest winning streak (459) and longest unbeaten (468) streak in dual meets. The Streak gained national attention in a documentary that aired on ESPN.

To add to The Streak is 20 team state championships, including a current nine-year run as state champions. The Eagles have also produced 77 state champions and hold numerous Florida state tournament records.

"One thing we have a lot of fun wrestling, we're competitive and it's all business on the mat, but we have fun with what we're doing," said Cozart, who is in his 30th season at Brandon. "We've put some impressive numbers up with The Streak and being on ESPN, so there's good reason to be in awe, but Collins Hill has a good team, too. We've got a lot of reasons to draw attention, but Collins Hill is not a shabby program."

Collins Hill is the two-time defending Class AAAAA champions and has been the model program in Georgia the last few years. The Eagles recently won the Toshiba Midwest Classic in Kansas City, which featured state championship programs from across the Midwest, including nationally ranked Park Hill, Mo.

Collins Hill's greatest achievement may be consistency. The Eagles have placed in the top 3 at state the last 10 years. No other team in Georgia, in any sport, can claim that distinction.

“I hope we can make it a good show. They’re a big favorite, but we’re okay with that,” Ramos said.

Brandon's streak ended in January of 2008 and since then the Tampa-based school has reeled off 47-straight wins. Collins Hill could be the next notch on a long streak or the one that stops it again.

"We’re not adding to the streak, we want to stop the streak," Collins Hill senior Joel Smith said.

Smith, who has signed with Arizona State, is one of a handful of the Eagles' top wrestlers. T.J. Mitchell has signed with Virginia Tech and Collins will Fort Hays State University in Kansas.

Brandon is led by four returning state champions in Rossi Bruno (119 pounds), Clark Glass (145), Joe Cozart (152) and Mike Ettore (189). All four are nationally ranked along several other Brandon wrestlers that didn't win state last season.

"I think it’s going to be fun. It’s going to be a battle, a nice war," Smith said. "I think we’re going to come out on top, though. I think we can take them."

Collins Hill has been getting early ticket requests for the tournament since last week and hopes to fill its 2,300-seat gym for the finals. That kind of hype is still tough for Collins to wrap his mind around.

"I thought that state dual finals were a huge deal," Collins said. "But compared to this, it’s nothing. This is just ridiculous."

WRESTLING

What: Kyle Maynard Duals

When: Today

Where: Collins Hill High School (50 Taylor Road, Suwanee, Ga.)

Schedule:

• 9 a.m. — Round one

• 10:30 a.m. — Round two

• 12 p.m. — Presentation by Kyle Maynard

• 12:30 p.m. — Round three

• 2 p.m. — Semifinals for championship

• 3:30 p.m. — Third, fifth and seventh-place matches

• 5 p.m. — Championship match