• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abby Davis - Maryville High School - BUSC Starz - Maryville College

Lindsey Schofield - Gatlinburg Pittman High School - BUSC Starz - Tenn Wesleyan

Ashlie Reagan - Kings Academy High School - BUSC Starz - Tenn Wesleyan

Abby Yother - Cookeville High School - BUSC Starz - Lincoln Memorial University

Jessica Wilson Cookeville High School - BUSC Starz - Tennessee Tech

Caitlin Templeton - Maryville High School - BUSC Starz - Lincoln Memorial University

Emma Miller - South Doyle High School - BUSC Starz - Lincoln Memorial University

Haley Julian - South Doyle High School - BUSC Starz - Carson Newman

There seem to be alot of 2010 signees. Lots of girls will have the opportunity to play on the college level. I think I saw where one girl was playing for Tennessee but the rest seem to be playing for very small schools with minimal soccer tradition. Considering the level at which I assume most of these girls have played is this kind of unexpected?

Chances R, I definitely didn't mean to offend. College degree is far more important than the soccer. I guess my point is "are the college choices for soccer or for the education element?" It really doesn't matter. The girls will hopefully be able to get a good education as well as do something they love to do.

NoLife. In no particular order, somethings to digest.....

1. Many students

a) prefer to stay close to home.

;) prefer to goto college with friends from high school

2. The Hope Scholarship doesn't cross state lines.

3. As a whole, Tennessee is not yet recognized as a recruiting area for soccer players

(like Texas, California, etc). There are exceptions, a lot of that comes from the visibility at ODP.

4. A lot of Tennessee club teams don't travel out of the state to high visibility tournaments, hence

they don't get the consistent visibility from the colleges you are referring to.

5. Univ of Tenn & Vandy have not recruited players from their own state until the last several years.

6. As the level of play in Tennessee has elevated, so too has the level of play outside Tennessee.

The only thing that seems to remain stagnant, is the officiating.

7. Playing as a freshman at the smaller programs has a higher likelihood than at a larger program.

8. Smaller program coaches seem to have carte blanche when you consider all of the above.

As there is finally a consolidation of clubs, we will likely see much stronger teams surface in Tennessee that can compete with the best teams at the Showcase events. Our ability to make rosters of higher profile teams has significantly improved over the past 5 years. I think the economy has also taken its toll and more players are having to go to the program that offers them the most complete financial package.

That oughta stir things up.

Its been very boring on this board.

;)

As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Canes (on this ONE POST!!!!).

OUCH!!! It hurts....those are excellent points. I will also point out the recruiting process is much different for girls soccer than what the majority believe. It does not compare to football or basketball for that matter. And the $$ are hugely different. NCAA limits the max# of scholarships to 14 Total. AND most schools only fund around 9..some more. some less. It is all about marketing and exposure. Un. of TN has passed on many good in state players. I think there are several players every year that are quality players they don't offer, but welcome to walk-on. Also consider that many athletes are given 50% rides at best, and considerably less the majority of the time. Each family has to weigh the costs, keep their ego in check, consider academics, and then try to use soccer to make the best situation they can for them. Use soccer to do something you otherwise couldn't have done. It's a tough decision with a large number of factors as Canes pointed out. Remember, after college these girls will all be joining the 'real' world in something other than soccer...hopefully they picked the school that will prepare them for that.