Jefferson County Football 2010

JCSP20

It's about time for spring ball to start up, so I reckon we might as well get the talk started. What are we looking like this year? Not much lost from last year, but unless something changes we are still weak at the quarterback position and a few others. Goins is a good athlete, but he's the worst QB we've had post-millennium. Does Wright return in the backfield? Lots of athletes, just got to make sure they are in the right positions. Any college prospect on the team this year?

As long as Jeff County is running out of the veer - gun look, last years quarterback is perfect for that system. He is an exceptional runner and I think he improved a lot on reading the defensive tackle on the inside veer and end on the outside veer. Entire backfield must work on ball security. This alone cost JCHS at least two wins. Patriots must do a better job of utilizing the slot receiver. The split end and flanker have proven they can catch the ball, but they must become much more physical blockers for this offense to really go. Hopefully the o-line will return more physical than last year. Jenkins and Stooksbury were pretty consistent last year. The left guard has good technique, but must get stronger. He has a good frame. I am not sure the full two platoon system will work against equal or superior opponents. Four or five guys may have to play both ways. Jeff County should have a decent power game with 44 lead blocking out of the power set for DK. Trey Dodson will probably be ready for some reps as well. I would like to see some misdirection out of the power set though. Hopefully, everyone is working hard to get bigger, stronger, and faster. There are a handful of guys that may play at the next level although I am not too sure about D1.

It's about time for spring ball to start up, so I reckon we might as well get the talk started. What are we looking like this year? Not much lost from last year, but unless something changes we are still weak at the quarterback position and a few others. Goins is a good athlete, but he's the worst QB we've had post-millennium. Does Wright return in the backfield? Lots of athletes, just got to make sure they are in the right positions. Any college prospect on the team this year?

I disagree about Goins. Last year the team threw probably more than any JCHS team ever has and just with any pragmatic approach there are always growing pains. I believe he will suprise a lot of people this year with experience under his belt as well the entire patriot team.

Personally I don't believe Goins is what his father talks him up to be. He rarely makes the right decision with the football, not a leader, and cannot manage a game or his team. I think the coaching staff should give the Bible kid a fair shot at the starting job. He has a great arm and technique and with Ausmus being a playmaker we got to get him the ball and Goins just doesn't seem to realize that. If we get steady QB and OL play this team has some experience on defense and hopefully can beat the teams they suppose to. As far as college prospects go, this team is pretty weak. Only two that would have a shot would be Ausmus and Jenkins. Jenkins has good size and in the right system could become a good lineman. Ausmus is one heck of a baseball player and should have several baseball scholarships to consider over football. The difference in speed and knowledge of the game it takes at the next level is a big jump and these boys just aren’t coached up to the level they need to be. :lol:

Agree to disagree on Goins then. He's a heck on an athlete, don't get me wrong, just not much of a football player in my opinion. His speed is pretty decent but he doesn't make quick or good decisions, and unfortunately he doesn't do the other things (footwork, mechanics, throw a consistent ball) well enough like, say, a Zach Long did, to compensate for this. They'd be better off giving the Bible kid a shot and using Goins elsewhere in my opinion. He is in a similar mold as Long, and that's as effectively as we've seen the veer run since Gut has been at the helm.

As far as college prospects, a guy I work with told me today that Coach Anderson told the team it has multiple division 1 prospects. I understand encouragement, but delusion to that extent is somewhat concerning. I think we've got some solid athletes, but from watching last year it's clear to anyone with an eye for talent that we don't have any D1 guys. That said, I would love to see a few guys find a good fit somewhere and make a name for both themselves and the Patriots like Brooks has done in Chattanooga.

Im sure that that is something that is changed from person to person but I was in the room and he said that "we have players who have a chance to be..." This is not not dulusion. It is the truth. Any high school player with an extreme work ethic could potientially be a be a D1 players (skyler mcbee, nick reviez types). This was simply motivation and not a lie like many on this board would claim it to be.

As for the Jeff co players, like I said in an earlier post I truely believe that Goins will turn some heads this year. I think he as well as players like Kountz, Mason, and Cain all have a shot at playing college ball if they all make good decisions and have the work ethic that was previously mentioned.

What you have said is very true. Anybody with an extreme work ethic and motivation can possibly become a D1 prospect. The problem is there aint no kids on this team with that kind of work ethic. Kids today just aren’t dedicated to the game like they use to. To be honest I’m not sure if the coaching staff has the work ethic and dedication to prepare the kids for the next level.

You are correct. People like that are very very rare but there is motivation on the football team. Last year was a year that reality slapped hype in the face and many players matured from that and are more fired up than probably ever this year.

I, however, disagree with your statement about the coaching staff. They put in more hours than most think. I think last year showed how hard the staff worked. There was glaring problem somewhere and the coaches kept working until they found something that worked. The 2008 team was under center and rarely ever through the ball. The 2010 team moved to shotgun, threw the ball more than ever, and the linemen slightly changed technique. Thats just the tip of the iceburg as far as the work toward a solution the coaching stuff did.

Goins should get the first shot this year. He is probably the fastest kid on the team. Bible is capable, but in the offense utilized by the Patriots a running QB is pretty important. Unfortunately, Bible has been hampered by injuries. Who is the next guy in line should the situation arise? Is Ausmus still an emergency quarterback?

Offensive MVP, First team all confernse, All Lakeway team, LAY OFF ANTHONY GOINS!!!!!! Jeff Co. threw the ball more this year than they have in the past 20 years! He threw for over 1,000 yards with 5 TDs (not to mention all the rushing Tds he had) as a Junior! He is one of the leaders on the team. As for Bible, he is talented no doubt. He probably has the best arm on the team, but like many have already said, he doesnt fit in our offense at all. They will probably tweak it for him his senior year but not now. Jefferson has 18 starters returning i believe, and they have 30 seniors on the team. I have been around a lot of the team functions and there is no lack of work ethic. Those kids are bustin it in the weightroom and many stay after school to get more work in. granted not every kid is like that, but the majority of the team is putting there heart into it.

That is true. Goins accolades speak for themselves. Plus it is my understanding that he has also been to the state championship in track two years in a row now (I may be wrong). QB may not be the position he plays in college but make no mistake about it, he is a college athelete. I am excited to see what he does this coming year.

That is true. Goins accolades speak for themselves. Plus it is my understanding that he has also been to the state championship in track two years in a row now (I may be wrong). QB may not be the position he plays in college but make no mistake about it, he is a college athelete. I am excited to see what he does this coming year.

Even though Goins appearances in the state track championships are impressive, however, they do not prove that he has the specific qualities (Leadership, Level Headed, and the ability of staying calm under pressure) of a QB. No doubt Goins has the athletic ability, but some could question his knowledge of the quarterback position. Is there anybody on the team with the football intelligence to run the veer/spread more sufficiently?