RIP Darryl Smith

Panthers08

I apologize if this thread has already been started. If that's the case I didn't see it. Darryl Smith, a former Powell standout and co-offensive coordinator, died last week of complications stemming from gall bladder and pancreas problems. Darryl played at UT as well as in the NFL and CFL before retiring and becoming very active in the Boys and Girls club in Knoxville. Later, Darryl went on to coach at Central, Powell, and I believe a one year stint at Oak Ridge. I just want to say that Darryl was one of the most special guys I've ever been around. He was one of the most brilliant football minds I've seen in high school football, and he had an unbelievable way of relating with his players and getting the most out of them. He meant a lot to me and I definitely looked up to him an awful lot as a coach. Beyond all that though, the man just had a presence about him. He always had something funny to say, and he usually had a great story to tell. Darryl was just the type of guy that you could sit and listen to for hours and never be bored. My thoughts and prayers go out to Lee, Ben, Matt, and Karen. I know its tough on them. RIP Darryl you will be sorely missed.

I apologize if this thread has already been started. If that's the case I didn't see it. Darryl Smith, a former Powell standout and co-offensive coordinator, died last week of complications stemming from gall bladder and pancreas problems. Darryl played at UT as well as in the NFL and CFL before retiring and becoming very active in the Boys and Girls club in Knoxville. Later, Darryl went on to coach at Central, Powell, and I believe a one year stint at Oak Ridge. I just want to say that Darryl was one of the most special guys I've ever been around. He was one of the most brilliant football minds I've seen in high school football, and he had an unbelievable way of relating with his players and getting the most out of them. He meant a lot to me and I definitely looked up to him an awful lot as a coach. Beyond all that though, the man just had a presence about him. He always had something funny to say, and he usually had a great story to tell. Darryl was just the type of guy that you could sit and listen to for hours and never be bored. My thoughts and prayers go out to Lee, Ben, Matt, and Karen. I know its tough on them. RIP Darryl you will be sorely missed.

May God bless the Smith family.