Baylor Win D-II Title; Has Six Champions

bbb

Led by six state champions, Baylor rallied in the championship finals to win its 13th TSSAA state traditional wrestling championship Saturday night at the Williamson County Agricultural Expo in Franklin.

The Red Raiders under coach Jim Morgan had 282 points, while runner-up McCallie had two champions and 277 points.

Entering the finals, McCallie, with six finalists, led by 10 points, 268 to 258. Baylor had seven in the finals.

The Red Raiders won the final three weights (189, 215, 285) with David Helton's regular decision at 215 the title clincher putting Baylor one point past McCallie, 278-277.

Christian Brothers took third (251.5, three champions), followed by 2009 state champion Father Ryan ( 233.5, two champs) and MBA (126 pts., one champion) to complete the top five in the 18-team field.

“It was a close, hard fought win,’’ said Morgan. “We worked hard and McCallie gave us a battle all weekend.’’

Baylor champions were Zach Watson (119), Alex Manley (125), Stuart Doster (140), Mac Ferguson (189), David Helton (215) and John Mackey (285)

McCallie champs were Alex Ward (112) and T.J. Duncan (152).

Duncan, (43-3), a junior, won his fourth state title, joining six others who have won four championships; Martin Francis (Notre Dame), Philip Simpson (MBA), Mat Keller (Bradley Central), Ryan Scott (McCallie), Jordan Leen (Baylor) and Bailey Whitaker (Baylor).

“Our guys gave Baylor a run and we needed one or two more wins that we didn’t have,’’ said McCallie coach Gordon Connell.

“We had a great team effort and all 14 wrestlers earned a medal and that’s school record.’’

A pair of Christian Brothers’ brothers – Alex and Zach Johnson – claimed titles, plus teammates Daniel Baucke (130) to match the school high of three in 2007, while Mike Akers (103) and Wes Wesley (171) won state medals for Father Ryan.

MBA’s champion was senior Daniel Todd (160).

Outstanding Wrestler: Daniel Baucke (130) of Christian Brothers giving the Memphis school its first state tournament OW.

Baucke had three pins, including stopping McCallie's Turner Martin in 3:11 in the finals, and a major decision, in his four wins. He closed out his career at 177-8.

Best Match: 112; Alex Ward (McCallie) dec. Cole Moseley (Father Ryan), 7-6 OT ultimate tie break.

Ward scored a takedown in the closing seconds to tie the match, 6-6, at the end of regulation. Neither wrestler could gain a takedown in the first 30 second overtime, nor could either wrestler escape or reverse in the second overtime. Moseley was down in the third overtime or ultimate tie break, but Ward rode him out for the upset.

Moseley was the top seed and defending state champ, while Ward was the No. 3 seed.

103: No. 1 Mike Akers (Fr., Father Ryan) dec. No. 4 John Olson (Fr., BGA), 9-2

Two ninth graders going for their first title; Akers has first takedown 45 seconds into the match; escape Olsen (2-1); takedown (2) Akers, 4-1; 2nd period; escape Olsen (4-2); takedown Akers (3) 6-2; 3rd; Akers escape, 7-2; takedown Akers (9-2);

Akers dec. Olson, 9-2

Ryan’s third, 103-pound champion following Cole Moseley and Whitt Dunning

112: No. 3 Alex Ward (So., McCallie) dec. No. 1 Cole Moseley (So., Father Ryan), 7-6 ultimate tie-break

Cole’s uncle, Chris, was a two-time state champ;

Moseley gets first takedown, 2-0; caution Ryan (1); 2nd; Moseley down; escape, 3-0; takedown Ward, 3-2; warning stalling against Ward; locked hands and Moseley escapes, leads 5-2 ; 3rd; Ward down; Ward reverse, 5-4; Moseley given escape, 6-4; Ward pushing the action; Ward has takedown in last seconds, to tie it 6-6; OT; no score; 2 OT; Ward down; caution Ryan (2); Ward does not get out; 3 OT Moseley down; no change; 4 OT; Moseley down sudden death; Ward holds him and wins in sudden death

Ward dec. Moseley, 7-6 in ultimate tie break; Ward won two of three meetings this year

As good a final as one will see; lots of drama; early vote for best match

Ward (36-7) knocks off No. 2 Calloway in semis, then beats No. 1 seed and defending champ Moseley (39-6) in final to win it.

“The keys to my win were I feel that I was in better shape than Cole and I pushed the action the entire match,’’ said Ward.

“I lived with coach Mike Newman for the past three weeks and he helped me control my diet and helped with my conditioning,’’ Ward stated.

119: No. 1 Zach Watson (So., Baylor) dec. No. 3 Tim Westbrooks (So., McCallie), 8-6

Two-time defending champion Watson takedown, 2-0; 2nd; Watson down; Westbrooks turns him for 3-2 lead; Watson reverse, 4-3;

Watson wins 8-6; Watson won both meetings this year

“I am not in good wrestling shape and didn’t wrestle well tonight,’’ said Watson.

125: Alex Manley (Sr., Baylor) dec. Kaleb Baker (Fr., Christian Brothers), 7-6

Baker gets opening takedown, 2-0; Manley stands, warning on Baker (1); escape Manley, 2-1; warning Baker (2), 2-2; Manley takedown, leads 4-2; warning Manley (1); 2nd; Baker down and Manley riding tough; warning stalling Baker (3), 5-2; caution Manley (1); escape Baker, 5-3; 3d; Manley down; warning Manley (2); point Baker, 5-4; escape Manley, 6-4; 1:09 remaining; Baker takedown, 6-6 :53.5 remaining; Manley escape, 7-6; Baker has a single but can’t finish; Manley wins his first title;

Manley (42-2) wins, 7-6, joining his dad (Tim) and brother (Spencer) as state champs; Alex is 178-13 for a career

130: No. 1 Daniel Baucke (Sr., Christian Brothers) pinned No. 2 Turner Martin (Fr., McCallie), 3:11

No takedown in first period; 2nd; Baucke down; Baucke reverse; Baucke pins in 3:11

Baucke (40-1) ends high school career with three titles; 2007-09-10; 177-8; school record holder in wins

135: No. 1 Alex Johnson (Sr., Christian Brothers) dec. No. 2 Michael Hooker (So., McCallie), 3-2

Two state champs meet for title;

No score in first; 2nd; Hooker down; no action; stalemate; Hooker gains reverse, 2-0; Johnson escape, 2-1; 3rd; Johnson down; penalty point against Hooker for throw, 2-2; 1:19 remaining; :18 remaining; warning Hooker (1); :08; caution Hooker (1); Johnson escapes in final two seconds for 3-2 win; exciting match

Johnson (45-2) wins his second state title.

140: No.1 Stuart Doster (Jr., Baylor) dec. No. 3 Mick Anthony (Jr., Christian Brothers), 7-3

Doster takedown, 2-0; escape Anthony, 2-1; Doster takedown, 4-1; 2nd; Doster leads 7-2; 3rd; escape Anthony, 7-3;

Doster (46-6) wins, 7-3; his third title; goes for his fourth next year as a senior

145: No. 3 Zach Johnson (Christian Brothers) major dec. No. 4 Trey Stavrum (Baylor), 11-3

two seniors in final high school match, each going for first state title.

Johnson gains first takedown, 2-0; caution Johnson (1); caution Johnson (2); Johnson down; Johnson escape an then sweet ankle pick, 5-0; escape Stavrum, 5-1; Johnson has foot sweep for takedown, 7-1;

3rd; Johnson leads, 9-3; takedown Johnson, 11-3;

Johnson (38-5) wins by major, 11-3; now has a title to go with the two his brother, Alex, has.

Stavrum, who came back from a broken ankle in mid-Dec., ends his career as a five-time medalist (4-6-6-3-2) joining Lee Connell, Ryan Scott and Jordan Leen also with five medals.

152: No. 1 T.J. Duncan (Jr., McCallie) major dec. No. 2 Tony Downs (Sr., Christian Brothers), 11-1

Duncan goes for his fourth title; he beat Downs on injury default earlier this season;

Duncan has first takedown, 2-0, 1:07 into the period; 2-pt near fall, 4-0; followed by another, 6-0; 2nd; Duncan down; caution Duncan (1); Duncan stands and stalling on Downs, 7-0; escape, 8-0; 3rd; Duncan down; Duncan escape, 9-0; Duncan takedown, 11-0; escape Downs, 11-1;

Duncan gives the four of five hand sign after the win.

“To win my fourth with a chance at five means everything to me,’’ said Duncan (43-3).

“ I’ve worked my whole life for this. I have worked hard this year and felt confident in the match The toughest of the four was winning the first as an eighth grader.”

160: No. 1 Daniel Todd (Sr., MBA) dec. No. 2 Chase Martino (Jr., McCallie), 5-2

Todd gets initial takedown, 2-0; Martino works for reverse but Todd holds him off; 2nd; Todd down;

Todd escapes on edge of mat, 3-0; Todd warning (1); 3rd; a scramble for takedown but nothing time running out Martino takedown, trails, 3-2; Todd reverse, 5-2 ; :22 remaining;

Todd wins his first title and is a four-time medalist (4-3-2-1)

171: No. 1Wes Wesley (Sr., Father Ryan) dec. No. 2 Nate Rupiper (Jr., Christian Brothers), 5-1

Wesley gets initial takedown, 2-0; 2nd; Wesley down; escape, 3-0; followed by second takedown, 5-0; 3rd; Rupiper escape, 5-1; Wesley wins his third title

“Winning the third title today is the toughest of the three, since I was the favorite,’’ said Wesley.

‘‘The other two finals I had lost to my opponent earlier and came back to win in the traditional.’’

In 2008, Wesley, the No. 2 seed, upset Baylor’s No.1 seed Willie Idlette, 14-3, in the 160 pound final; Idlette had beaten Wesley, 8-3, in the state duals.

In 2009, No. 1 Wesley defeated Baylor’s No. 2 Mac Ferguson, 7-4, who had beaten him two weeks earlier in the state duals finals, 6-3.

189: No. 1 Mac Ferguson (Sr., Baylor) dec. No. 3 Will Mix (Sr., Father Ryan), 1-0

No score in first; 2nd; Ferguson down; Ferguson escape, 1-0; 3rd; Mix down; stalling Mix (1); Ferguson riding tough; :19 remaining; Ferguson (44-5) rides out for win;

Baylor trails McCallie, 277-274, with two matches remaining.

215: No. 1 David Helton (Jr., Baylor) dec. No. 2 Ricky Fisher (So., Father Ryan), 7-1

Helton takedown, leads 2-1; stalling Fisher (1); caution Fisher (1); 2nd; Helton down; reverse, 4-1; stalling Fisher (2), 5-1; 3rd; Fisher takes neutral; Helton takedown, 7-1

Helton’s win and four team points secure the team title for Baylor;

Red Raiders lead, 278-277 with one the 285 pound final remaining.

285: No. 1 John Mackey (Jr., Baylor) dec. No. 3 Dylan Maxwell (Jr., Briarcrest), 10-5

No score in first; 2nd; Mackey down, escape, 1-0; takedown to Maxwell’s back, 6-0; escape Maxwell, 6-1; 3rd; Maxwell down; Mackey scores 3-pt near fall, 9-1; escape Maxwell, 9-2; Maxwell takedown, 9-4; escape Mackey, 10-4; warning stalling on both wrestlers; Mackey takedown and wins, 10-5

Baylor wins 282-277 against McCallie.

Four-Timer: T.J. Duncan’s win makes him the seventh, four-time state champ; Duncan is a junior;

The previous six, in order; Martin Francis (Notre Dame), Philip Simpson (MBA), Matt Keller (Bradley Central), Ryan Scott (McCallie), Jordan Leen (Baylor) and Bailey Whitaker (Baylor)

Five-Time Medalist: Baylor’s Trey Stavrum is the most recent D-II five-time medalist; others include Lee Connell (McCallie, 4-2-2-1-1) Ryan Scott (McCallie, 3-1-1-1-1), Jordan Leen (Baylor, 3-1-1-1-1).

Stavrum recovered from a broken ankle in mid-December and took second in the state (4-6-6-3-2).

Moving Up: MBA’s Daniel Todd moved up one step on the medal stand for four years; from fourth as a ninth grader, third as a sophomore, runner-up to Patrick Marchetti (Ryan) as a junior and wins it as a senior.

Small School Duals: The D-II propose a four-team D-II small school state duals for 2011 to replace the current eight team invitational; the four teams would be selected based on head-to-head win-loss dual record.

On the D-I side, junior Jeremy Miller of Greenback can be the first public school five-time medalist if he medals in 2011; he became the second eighth grader ever to win a state title (2007) after Jody Chamberlain (1965) of Tenn. School for the Blind and minutes before Duncan won as an eighth grader one weight after Miller; Miller was third in 2008 and second in 2009.

D-I Note: a wrestler named Jones from Cleveland was in the state finals; Feb. 20, 1972, David Held (Cleveland) dec. Allan Jones (Cleveland) in the 155-pound class; 38 years later to the day - Feb. 20, 2010 - Allan’s son, Bailey decisioned Nick Alhemany (Hixson), 3-1, in the 160-pound class

By The Numbers:

Twelve No. 1 seeds won the state, while a pair of No. 3’s (112, 145) won the other two championships.

Six Champions: Baylor also had six champions in 2006

Tough Weight Class: in 2010, the 135 class had three state champs in Alex Johnson (Christian Brothers), Michael Hooker (McCallie) and Cole Hayes (Baylor).

In 1999 at 119, the bracket showed two-time defending champion Casey Brewster (Overton) and Matt Sweeton (Tullahoma) who won it at 103 the year before.

Matt Keller (Fr.) wins it that year, beat Sweeton in the semis and Brewster in the finals.

Brewster beat freshman Jake Yost (Soddy Daisy) in the other semis. Yost would win state titles in 2001 and 2002.

Yost beat Josh Dye of Clarksville in the quarters. Dye would win a state title in 2000.

Best Half Bracket (five future state champs): In 1997, the bottom half at 103, Shawn Weller (So., Baylor) was a No. 3 seed and would win it in 1998; Weller beat freshman Matt McCarty (Clarksville) in the round of 16 after beating the state tournament's first girl entry, Andi Jones, in the round of 32.

McCarty would win titles in 1999 and 2000 (OW).

Philip Simpson was an 8th grader in 1997, beat Alex Wolf-McClenon (Daniel Boone) in the round of 32, then lost to Kirk Smith (Germantown) in the round of 16 via fall in 4:43. Smith is the answer to the question of who was the only wrestler to beat Philip Simpson in the state tournament.

Simpson would win four titles; 1998-99-00-01.

Eric Floyd (Fr., Centennial) was in the bottom quarter, lost to Casey Brewster (So., Overton) in the quarters, and lost to McCarty in the consos. Floyd won a title at 103 in 1999.

Brewster was the No. 2 seed and beat Floyd, Weller in the semis and No. 1 seed Kevin Kosier (Karns) in the finals.

Brewster won titles in 1997 and 1998.

The top half of the bracket had Kosier as well as Danny Micka (Fr., Red Bank) who would also be a state runner-up in 1999 to Kevin Ward of Soddy Daisy who himself was a state runner-up as a freshman in 1998 at Red Bank before transferring.

Another Star-Studded Field: 112 in 1997; No. 1 seed Shannon Sayne (Jr., Halls) is runner-up to Josh West (Jr., Bradley Central) that year and wins it in 1998.

In bottom half (three future state champs), No. 2 seed is Josh West ho beats Tim Drinkwine (Jr., Overton) in the semis and Saye in the finals. Drinkwine wins it 1998.

Baylor's Coleman Thompson (Fr.) is also in the bottom half and wins the state in 1999 as a junior.

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net