Chris Crawford not a Mr. Basketball finalist!!!!!

Legend

This is an award based on the type of year the young man is having. Not years, not career, not where he ranks, not where he is going to college, not any of that...I live in the Memphis area and I have seen my fair share of basketball over the years. He's good but I don't think he had that great of a year. When Jason Smith of the CA (as well as any other preps sportswriter does from across the state) goes to the meetings to vote on the finalists for Mr or Miss Basketball, the one thing that is constant is numbers. How many points, rebounds, steals, assists...If you put up good numbers playing down in Memphis, you will get recognized across the state. I don't think Chris' numbers were all that great this year but that's not to say that he won't be a good college player. He just isn't one of the 3 finalists in 2A for Mr. Basketball this year.

If this is the case then Crawford should have not played TEAM ball and scored 30+ a game because he could do it! Crawford played team ball and is winning!!!

I call it like I see it... I would vote for Jalen Steele out of the three finalist. Now that I got that out of the way.... The national rankings are overrated as far as I am concerned, Chris Crawford is overrated as well.... I have seen him play on several occasions, his game is ok! My pick for AA Mr. Basketball is Tarius Johnson(Liberty Tech).... He is so underrated, also take into consideration, he has not played his true position most of his high school career, he has played in the post and he is truly a 2 guard or wing player. This year he has played more of the guard position playing post has devalued his stock. I think he is a better ball player than Steele and Crawford..... I would pick Kedren Johnson over Chris Crawford. Kedren is the truth as well. I don't like hype..... Some of the rankings are a bunch of hype and so is Chris Crawford.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What hype? Crawford had to earn his rankings playing with arguably the best AAU team in the Nation. Theres no hype the kid isn't moving away from his stereotype of being just a shooter. It just so happens the people surrounding him at Sheffeild stepped up big time(Golden and Scheffeir) so he didn't have to drop 30 points a game. He's still one of the best players in 2A and shows in Memphis. I've seen TJ play against Melrose, and when they scrimmaged Southwind and I would take Crawford every single time!

What hype? Crawford had to earn his rankings playing with arguably the best AAU team in the Nation. Theres no hype the kid isn't moving away from his stereotype of being just a shooter. It just so happens the people surrounding him at Sheffeild stepped up big time(Golden and Scheffeir) so he didn't have to drop 30 points a game. He's still one of the best players in 2A and shows in Memphis. I've seen TJ play against Melrose, and when they scrimmaged Southwind and I would take Crawford every single time!

Jody, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect your opinion.... But some of those rankings are overrated...and so is Mr. Basketball. I have a very good friend, that has a lot to do with these rankings... He has told me this on several occasions... The rankings are just like the goverment.... Corrupt, political, money making and the kids are put on display to make it look good. He has been involved with the rankings since 98. To me the rankings are a severe form of exploitation, that sometimes sets the kid up for failure.

It is what it is. Everybody has opinions. Crawford is a senior on a very good team that is vying for a 2nd consecutive state tournament appearance and from all indications is a solid kid. He has also had some big games like when he dropped 35 against nationally ranked Ridgeway or 28 against Cordova. I don't have the kids stats but I know he is a very good player that was just named the MVP of the district tournament.

The kid has the resume he just didn't get the votes for whatever reason.

Maybe he got left out because he signed with Memphis instead of UT....LOL

I should add he had offers from Miss St and Georgia to. It's possible Pastner, Pearl, Stansbury, and Fox don't have a clue and would burn a scholarship on a player that really doesn't have high major talent...but I doubt it. Oh and at one time he was being recruited by Arkansas, Georgetwon, and Iowa to. Not sure if they ever offered but I would bet Arkansas did for sure....but I don't that for a fact.

Oh well...life goes on. I have stated on here before the Mr Basketball doesn't always go to the best and most deserving player.......kinda like the Hiesman trophy....LOL Crawford will be fine even if he did get snubbed. He may not be in the running for Mr Basketball but he will be part of the nations number 1 recruiting class and be on a top 15 D1 team next season. THAT'S NOT TO BAD FOR A SCRUB...LOL I would take that over AA Mr Basketball any day and I'm sure Crawford would to.