Maplewood???

Veer

Youre right about Dyson. He has never been a head coach. However he was let go as in assistant in Metro and then hired by Indy, became AD, and is now the HC. I think that is pretty relevant. Other coaches are let go all the time. Coaching is a yearly contract only and Broome was simply told that his services were no longer needed. Big difference in that and in getting fired.

Services no longer needed is a nice way to say you are fired. Asked Broome if saying his services were no longer needed made him feel better. Also Dyson will be gone very soon,wait and see.

I agree with you completely about Dyson but for Indy's sake I hope we are both wrong. I am sure when someone doesnt want you back its a blow to your ego and all but it is better than being fired. And it is different in my opinion. Most of the time people get fired when they have done something wrong. People get let go of when change is needed for whatever reason.

On a seperate note.......I would love to come fishing sometime. I am real familar with the area so I wont get lost like some Riverdale fans!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what Powercat, scratch my last post! Maybe the Maplewood job is TOO Black or Ghetto for you or anyone who you feel is qualified to be a Head Coach. Yeah you said in Metro they do this all of the time, but honestly do you even care about what even goes on at a school like Stratford, Whites Creek, Pearl Cohn, or Maplewood or who the students and teachers are or what they are about at those schools?!?!?! Probably not!
Did you ever stop to think that may be the problem. If so then somebody needs to tell the NCAA and the SEC that they have it wrong.

Congrats to Coach Broome

sorry for Armstrong though ..it was worth a shot.

i was rooting for him!!

he still has a job ...i hope .. :) ..lol

but seriously ..the man knows his D.

wow.. but not a shocker his name was not in the hat at first.

i think Broome was a great choice.

just what Maplewood needs right now...

its showtime!!

all this out of metro vs in metro crap ....means squat!!! ...its over!

once again Congrats to Coach Broome ..best of luck!!

Just curious...not trying to slam anyone or any school.

Is this list correct?

Antioch--Woodard (from Wico)

Pearl-Cohn--Brunetti (promoted from asst.)

Hillwood--Spears (from East Lit)

Maplewood--Broome (from Mcgavock)

Whites Creek--Phillips (from Hillwood)

Stratford--Smith (promoted from Asst.?)

Hillsboro--Moreno (promoted from asst. from HL)

Hunters Lane--Campbell (Stratford)

Glencliff-- Murray ( from ???)

East Lit--Wilson (Friendship, formerly Glencliff)

Cane Rdige--Abner (from HL/Glencliff)

Overton--Terry Anderson ( been there a while do not know where he was before OHS)

If so then Antioch (currently) and Glencliff (???) have head coaches that were from outside of Metro.

Hillsboro hired outside with Blade a few years ago.

Maplewood hire Van Hoose from KY in the early 90's.

What other head football coaches were hired from outside of metro in recent years?

This is true FadePattern. Also, Scott Murray was an assistant at Beech prior to becoming the head football coach at Glencliff. He also has ties to Smith County as well. Woodard came from Williamson County. I believe he was at Ravenwood.

This off-season alone:

Spears went from East Literature to Hillwood

Phillips went from Hillwood to Whites Creek

Broome went from McGavock to Maplewood

.....and POTENTIALLY soon to be Thompson from Maplewood to McGavock

Jim Wilson, who was at Glencliff once upon a time, is now once again a HC in MNPS as he is the new head man at East Literature.

In the past:

Abner went from Glencliff to Cane Ridge

Campbell went from Stratford to Hunters Lane

Moreno went from Hunters Lane (assistant) to Hillsboro

Smith was promoted from assistant to head coach at Stratford

Brunetti was promoted from assistant to head coach at Pearl-Cohn

Like yourself I am not sure where Terry Anderson was prior to becoming the head football coach at John Overton. I do know though that he is the lone coach in Metro/Nashville that has been at his current school for an extended period of time.

Anderson started his career at McMurray and then went on to Overton and coached under Nick Coutras. After Coutras retired Anderson and I believe Coach Pot Graves were interim head coaches for a year and then both were forced out due to seniority. Anderson went on to Hillsboro for about four years then went to Antioch for four years. When Mullican left Metro Anderson went back to Overton. He has been there since 1994 and would have probably never left Overton in the first place. Overton is his alma mater and he is a very loyal person.

As for all of the other positions it is true that most have been filled by applicants already in Metro. I really think that this goes on in most places. Unfortunately in today's society its not always what you know but more about who you know. Metro and other counties typically hire from within. In Williamson County recently Daniels was hired at Ravenwood from Brentwood, then Rector was promoted and Daniels went back to Brentwood then to Page. Coach M went from Fairview to Centennial, Dyson was promoted at Indy, and Ravenwoods coach was promoted from within. Rutherford is the same. Shad went from Smyrna to basically Blackman, the Blackman coaches went to Smyrna, Oaklands coach came from basically Riverdale, Eaglevilles coach came from Smyrna I think or La Vergne, and Siegels coach was promoted from within. It happens everywhere, not just Metro.

Metro and other counties typically hire from within. It happens everywhere, not just Metro.

I agree fieldwalker. Cheatham County's last 5 head football coaches (Arrington, Tharp, Randolph, Boyd, & Finley) were all guys who served as assistants prior to eventually taking the reigns as the leader of the football program at the school. Halstead was an assistant at Sycamore under Tharp (who was named the head coach at Sycamore after serving as the head coach at Cheatham County) prior to eventually becoming head coach. Loope was an assistant at Harpeth under Winkler prior to becoming head coach.

I agree fieldwalker. Cheatham County's last 5 head football coaches (Arrington, Tharp, Randolph, Boyd, & Finley) were all guys who served as assistants prior to eventually taking the reigns as the leader of the football program at the school. Halstead was an assistant at Sycamore under Tharp (who was named the head coach at Sycamore after serving as the head coach at Cheatham County) prior to eventually becoming head coach. Loope was an assistant at Harpeth under Winkler prior to becoming head coach.

You seem to know a lot about Cheatham howdoitknow. What's the situation at CC and what district and class are they in. I know for a long time CC has been okay but usually hit a road block at David Lipscomb I think. I didnt pay much attention to them this past season. Is the outlook for next year any good?

Congrats to Coach Broome

sorry for Armstrong though ..it was worth a shot.

i was rooting for him!!

he still has a job ...i hope .. :) ..lol

but seriously ..the man knows his D.

wow.. but not a shocker his name was not in the hat at first.

i think Broome was a great choice.

just what Maplewood needs right now...

its showtime!!

all this out of metro vs in metro crap ....means squat!!! ...its over!

once again Congrats to Coach Broome ..best of luck!!

Boski---I am sure that Doris will be kept. I think the paper said that Broome wanted to keep the staff in place. Things should get real interesting for you all. I wonder how much Broome will change things offensively and defensively. The paper said you all had two good running backs. I know you all lost Stone. What else can Broome look forward to talent wise?

Im just guessing I know more about Overton and Anderson than you do. Im probably actually right.

Nope...you're wrong :)

Ok. I'll bite. How am I wrong about Anderson? Im pretty familiar with the guy and Overton is my alma mater and I have somewhat kept up with them for several years. Where did Anderson come from oh mighty wrongness.