Possible New Weight Classes for 2010-2011

Grinder157

I WOULD GUESS THAT ABOUT 1/2 OF THE TEAMS DID NOT ENTER 14 WRESTLERS IN THEIR REGIONAL TOURANMENT. DOES ANY ON KNOW THAT STATISTIC?

THE ANIMAL

Region 5

Blackman 11

Coffee County 13

Cookeville 12

Eagleville 8

Forrest 14 (but at least 4 scratched before weigh ins)

Franklin County 9

Lavergne 9

Lebanon 14

Lincoln County 12

Mt Juliet 14

Oakland 12

Riverdale 12

Siegel 13

Smyrna 7 (3 scratches)

Tullahoma 13

Warren County 11

Wilson Central 13

Two out of 17 had full teams at the time of the Region tourney.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Region 1

Chuckey-Doak 12

Cocke Co. 10

Daniel Boone 8

David Crockett 13

Dobyns-Bennett 14

Elizabethton 5

Greeneville 13

Hancock Co. 5

Happy Valley 8

Jefferson Co. 14

Morristown East 11

Morristown West 10

Science Hill 14

Sevier Co. 1

Seymour 14

South Doyle 12

Sullivan East 11

Sullivan South 8

Tennessee High 14

Volunteer 7

West Greene 8

5 of 21 had full lineups at the time of the regional tournament.

perfessor,

I like the idea of going back to 12 weight classes so I am not going to call you any names. So far, two regions have posted and the majority are NOT fielding full teams. Obviously, something is not working. I don't think that we are really interested in making the sport grow. Most coaches just say that so they will look good to the other coaches in their area. They really just want the sport to grow at their school and will vote in a manner that most benefits them. If they can find a 103 easily, then they love option A. If you have a ton of big guys, then the other options are more appealing.

I have two observations to make:

First, if you can't find a 103, you aren't likely to find a 106 or a 107, so go figure.

Second, as a person who hasn't really worked with a single football coach who sees enough benefit in wrestling to encourage his heavier players to participate, I am against anything that adds a heavier weight class at the expense of a lighter one. And I am at one of the larger schools in the state.

Going back to 12 weight classes might be the answer.

AC,

What 12 weight classes?

Here are mine:

112, 118, 126, 132, 138, 145, 155, 165, 175, 195, 220, 285

Of course, we will disagree because you wrestled 119 and I wrestled 145. I thought that I remembered you saying once that you like watching the little guys because you think the light weights are the best wrestling. I kinda prefer the middle weights. I don't really like how the upper weights look but I couldn't think of anything better. I like to watch good 215 pounders wrestle. I almost moved heavyweight to 290 but that would just encourage more snoozefests.

First, if you can't find a 103, you aren't likely to find a 106 or a 107, so go figure.

Second, as a person who hasn't really worked with a single football coach who sees enough benefit in wrestling to encourage his heavier players to participate, I am against anything that adds a heavier weight class at the expense of a lighter one. And I am at one of the larger schools in the state.

Going back to 12 weight classes might be the answer.

I hope you do not agree with them.

I'm a coach at the largest school in the state and we couldnt get a 103. We did, however have 3 kids wrestling 112/119 that could easily have made 106. My 112 was weighing 105-106 everyday after practice towards the end of the season. He was a little heavy at weight certifications so 103 was just barely out of reach.

I think a 107 weight class would benifit the sport. As it's already been said, the majority of 103s are underclassmen who never weigh that little again after a growth spurt.