Humboldt vs City University

JungleJim125

The Vikings will have their largest crowd of the season tomorrow night. When that gym is packed, Humboldt is a HARD place to win. We're peaking at the right time and that's why I give Humboldt the edge.

I look for City University to be close to equally athletic if not more so than Humboldt but not as deep and not as team-oriented. This past Thursday's win vs UC was huge for several reasons but the main one is that Brooks only had 6 points and we still won big. I've said all year long that our success lies with Brooks. If he's hitting from outside, he changes games and we're tough to beat. If he's cold, our offense struggles.

Well, UC has done a better job than anyone all season at not giving Brooks open looks and so we were forced to work the ball inside instead of being content with passing it around the perimeter. It seems this is when we are at our best. When we throw it into either the high or low post and run our offense from there, everything opens up for us. We exhibited some great interior passing and drew some double teams allowing passes for open shots or lay ups.

In a packed house, I'm saying Humboldt 77 City University 70

Good post red_16 i agree Humboldt is playing team bb and they can win without having to shoot the long ball! Bryson is coming alive and Dunbar is stud on the boards he just needs to stay out of foul trouble! Campbell and the whole team is playing well the kids coming off the bench are doing a great job! Boykin coached his best game Thursday night. I would think if they continue to play like this they have a great shot to get over the hump at the Boro! With the talent they have coming up it come be the first of many! Good Luck to the Vikings Monday night! :thumb:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humboldt is MUCH better team when they are not chunking up threes....If their coach realizes what they did vs Union City in the region championship wasn't a fluke then they will hoist a Gold Ball in a couple of weeks....If they want to get away from feeding Dunbar and Bryson the ball then they will be watching someone else do it, again....Pretty simple actually...

Humboldt will be going back the the State tournament with a legitimate chance to win it all. I'm picking Clarksville Academy to win it all in single A with Humboldt my 2nd team. Clarksville Academy can easily match Humboldts size they have 2 athletic big guys that are better than Humboldts bigs but who knows both could loose tomorrow. You never know with this crazy game.

Humboldt is MUCH better team when they are not chunking up threes....If their coach realizes what they did vs Union City in the region championship wasn't a fluke then they will hoist a Gold Ball in a couple of weeks....If they want to get away from feeding Dunbar and Bryson the ball then they will be watching someone else do it, again....Pretty simple actually...

I agree with you 100% percent. Hopefully we'll be seeing two 14A teams battle for the gold. Good luck to your tornadoes purple! :thumb:

THis article was ran earlier this year highlighting City University for you Humboldt fans....

City University hopes they can do like Young Jeezy and literally put on for they City, University that is. Coach Deon Barry and the Lions are looking to continue their late last season run which has made them a good pick to be one of the top Single A teams in the area this season. Some of your are saying City University, that’s right, City University and they are for real. It all starts with their senior leaders, Kevin Pratt, Brandon Pack, Josh Howard and Naim Muhammad. 6?2 Kevin Pratt is an athletic 2 guard prospect on the college level with nice shooting touch from 3 and the ability to finish with contact at the rim. Pack and Muhammad are more of shooter types but Pack is the teams best shooter. Howard maybe the heart of the Lions squad. He is a vocal leader who can score from 15 ft in and rebound with the best players in Single A. Muhammad is a left handed guard with the ability to score from all over the floor.

The team is full of juniors and the best one maybe, Jalen Denton . A transfer from Whitehaven, Denton is a vastly underrated scorer and will provide them with double digit scoring all season. Another transfer, Tevin Cox will provide them with stability at the point guard position. Cox looks like he may have found the perfect home for himself from what I saw Monday evening. I think Cox could be a top 10-20 player in Single A across the state . Big statement but Tevin can do it if he really wants it. 6?3 post player, Giovanni Toledo has nice moves in the post and nimble feet. He can score from both block and is surprisingly effective for his height. 6?5 Moses Asher is the teams biggest player. They will need him to rebound and block shots and give them a little scoring if they want to go far this season. Sophmore Jalen Selmon is a good point guard who will see a lot of time as well after tranferring in from East High School.

Coach Barry has put together a tough early season schedule to get his team ready for the district play. They have games against Oakhaven, against Woodale in the Penny Hardaway Classic, Manassas, Southwind, my number one team in district 15AAA and Whitehaven. Is this a possible state team, maybe. The jury is still out on that but do they have a chance to become the Single A squad in the area, yes I think so, which could take them to the state.

Key Players

1. Tevin Cox 5?10 (Probable Starter)

2. Kevin Pratt 6?2 (Probable Starter)

3. Jalen Denton 6?0 (Probable Starter )

4. Brandon Pack 6?2 (Probably Starter)

5. Giovanni Toledo 6?3

6. Naim Muhammad 6?2

7. Josh Howard 6?1 (Projected Starter )

8. Jeremy Carter 6?1

9. Kendrick Love 6?4

10. Moses Asher 6?5

11. Deon Byers 6?1

12. Jalen Selmons

Sounds like Humboldt will have their hands full with CU tonight. Should be a great game and hopefully the Vikings can pull out the victory and get back to the Boro for the 5th time in 6 years. I'll stick with 77-70 Humboldt...Should be packed, get there early!

Humboldt will be going back the the State tournament with a legitimate chance to win it all. I'm picking Clarksville Academy to win it all in single A with Humboldt my 2nd team. Clarksville Academy can easily match Humboldts size they have 2 athletic big guys that are better than Humboldts bigs but who knows both could loose tomorrow. You never know with this crazy game.

I'm surprised to see your pick on this one....

Usually, the Middle Tennessee teams aren't that strong...There will be a team or two with a gaudy record but they end up getting beat by either a West Tenn team or a Chattanooga team...

If Arts and Sciences make it, it wouldn't surprise me to see them get to the finals...They are one of the few Chattanooga teams that plays like we do in West Tn.....If Westwood wins tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see them either(Or if UC wins)....The champion, in my opinion, will come from the 7A/8A sectional or from Chattanooga...Humboldt would be my favorite...

I looked at CA's schedule...The schedule ranking has them 82nd (I know...but that's in 1A :bored: ) but the out of state teams don't help their cause...They won a tournament in Cadiz, Ky that has all similar size teams play in it....They played and beat Butler County, Ky (3-25), Caldwell County, Ky (6-20), Dawson Springs, Ky (1-24) and Trigg County, Ky (12-14)...Of course they gotta win tonight, like you said....

I'm surprised to see your pick on this one....

Usually, the Middle Tennessee teams aren't that strong...There will be a team or two with a gaudy record but they end up getting beat by either a West Tenn team or a Chattanooga team...

If Arts and Sciences make it, it wouldn't surprise me to see them get to the finals...They are one of the few Chattanooga teams that plays like we do in West Tn.....If Westwood wins tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see them either(Or if UC wins)....The champion, in my opinion, will come from the 7A/8A sectional or from Chattanooga...Humboldt would be my favorite...

I looked at CA's schedule...The schedule ranking has them 82nd (I know...but that's in 1A :bored: ) but the out of state teams don't help their cause...They won a tournament in Cadiz, Ky that has all similar size teams play in it....They played and beat Butler County, Ky (3-25), Caldwell County, Ky (6-20), Dawson Springs, Ky (1-24) and Trigg County, Ky (12-14)...Of course they gotta win tonight, like you said....

I don't see anything even close to what UC and Manassas had the last 2 seasons (I would throw Humboldt in there to from last season) single A is wide open and the 2 big men they have are both 6'5 and 1 is a straight up legit D1 talent and they have a couple of good guards that can shoot the ball. That's enough to win it this year. Plus I think if thy get there they would get more calls against any team from our area...I know some think that's BS but I really believe that. CA might loose tonight...I could be entirely wrong. I haven't seen them in person just making an educated guess from what I've been reading in the Clarksville paper on and off all season. I've been checking it out and following Austin Peay all season...with Blake and Reaves playing there and Greer will be there next season. Coach Loos has been recruiting Memphis and this area hard.

We may not see another single A team like UC and Manassas for a long time. I just don't see a dominate team in single A and have a feeling this is the year the gold ball goes to a different area of the state. Personally I'm pulling for Humboldt...I would like to see them finally win one.