Meiko Lyles not winning Mr. Basketball......

DeConley1

Is a complete disgrace of the entire award. Not only should have he won it this season, but should have won it last season, when they advanced to the state tournament. But this year averaging 27 ppg and 10 rebs a game and advancing your team to the state championship game there should be no question. What a complete travesty. If you listened to the resumes of the finalists, it wasn't even close. It is embarrassing to the award and proves that whoever votes on this doesn't have a clue.

I'm not aware of any other player that has been a finalist 2x and not won at least once.

This might be worse than Joe Jackson not winning last season.

Justin Blake was a finalist twice and didn't win it. (06-07 & 07-08)

Mr. Basketball awards are "SUPPOSE" to go to the best player in the state in that division. Recently, this has just turned into a popularity contest. The media guys/girls have turned this award into a HUGE JOKE. How does Chris Crawford not make the finalists list?? Did any of these media guys/girls even watch every player? The answer would be no you can't, but seriously when a guy is ranked in the top 100 in the NATION. I think you are more than worthy of making the finalists and/or winning the award especially when the other finalists aren't even ranked in the top 250.... HUHMM.... Something smells FISHY with this "Award".

Spreadoption, it doesn't even compare to Joe Jackson not winning last year.

BLAKE WAS A GREAT SHOOTER BUT WAS ONE DIMENSIONAL. WHERE IS LYLES GOING TO COLLEGE?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a complete disgrace of the entire award. Not only should have he won it this season, but should have won it last season, when they advanced to the state tournament. But this year averaging 27 ppg and 10 rebs a game and advancing your team to the state championship game there should be no question. What a complete travesty. If you listened to the resumes of the finalists, it wasn't even close. It is embarrassing to the award and proves that whoever votes on this doesn't have a clue.

I'm not aware of any other player that has been a finalist 2x and not won at least once.

This might be worse than Joe Jackson not winning last season.

Second

I'm honestly getting tired of everybody complaining about who won the award. only one person can win and i don't see how tarwater isn't qualified in some of your opinions to even be nominated. SpreadOption wrote in one post that he shouldn't be on the list....which is ridiculous. i did some research and it turns out that he is a four year starter for Webb. some credit him for helping build the basketball program there as well over the last four years. another fact is that tarwater plays alongside another great player in whiteside who is also an all-state player so the stats aren't going to be piled up all towards him. Lyles played on a good team but did most of the work scoring along with Hodge. Lyles is a great player and has my respect but so does tarwater. both are high school athletes who work extremely hard to be able to compete and it's sad when people have to get on here and belittle an achievement. leave the kid alone

I'm honestly getting tired of everybody complaining about who won the award. only one person can win and i don't see how tarwater isn't qualified in some of your opinions to even be nominated. SpreadOption wrote in one post that he shouldn't be on the list....which is ridiculous. i did some research and it turns out that he is a four year starter for Webb. some credit him for helping build the basketball program there as well over the last four years. another fact is that tarwater plays alongside another great player in whiteside who is also an all-state player so the stats aren't going to be piled up all towards him. Lyles played on a good team but did most of the work scoring along with Hodge. Lyles is a great player and has my respect but so does tarwater. both are high school athletes who work extremely hard to be able to compete and it's sad when people have to get on here and belittle an achievement. leave the kid alone

I think Tarwater is a stud. Seems to be a good kid and definately is a good player. My opinion is that it should have been hands down this year, a no-brainer. Tarwater deserved the recognition of being nominated but not the award.

Please enlighten me where I said Tarwater should not have been on the list. Tarwater is a very good player, and no disrespect to him, but Lyles should have won the award. In fact, I was being critical of the people who vote for the award, not any of the players. I'm not on here to bash a 17-18 year old kid. The simple fact is that Meiko Lyles was the best player in the league, took his team to the state finals, outplayed everyone head to head, and basically our "media pundents" didn't pay any attention. I apologize that you misinterpreted my post as I NEVER stated that Tarwater should not have been on the list.

Spreadoption is right, no one is bashing Tarwater. Just the idiots who picked him over Lyles. Head to head Lyles outplayed Tarwater both times. Hands down the best player in the state DII-A. If you think Tarwater was deserving of the award you are obviously from Knoxville, probably a UT fan which shows the lack of intelligence.