Division II AA Champion - MBA

graceseeker

Congratulations to MBA for winning the Division II AA Basketball Championship.

No one can say that this team took the easy road. Having had to play the play-in game and then travel to the always tough MUS in Memphis set the stage for a memorable final four. The other three teams (McCallie, Christian Brothers and Ensworth) accounted for four of MBA's five regular season losses. MBA was certainly fortunate to have a tightly called game against Ensworth but four key moments turned out to be the key. (1) Holden Mobley's three pointer when MBA trailed by 13 and were on the brink of letting the game get away from them (2) Luke Colbert's two free throws that gave MBA the lead in the fourth quarter (3) Tyler Paslick's three pointer that expanded the lead to four and (4) David Howard's 7 of 8 free throw shooting. Give credit to Tyler Paslick's defense of Corn Elder too. He was limited to a single field goal. Daniel McFadden was unbelieveable for Ensworth as he really put the team on his shoulders and almost carried them to victory himself.

In the Championship game, MBA faced a team that had handed them their worst defeat of the regular season. Christian Brothers is so discplined and precise. No wasted movement just good old fashioned team basketball. It was a nip and tuck game the whole way. But key baskets by Tournament MVP Holden Mobley and All Tournament team David Howard and Junior Chase Owen keep MBA in the game. The game turns on a huge three pointer by Mobley, two great defensive plays by All Tournament selection Tyler Paslick and two tremendous tip outs of missed free throws and a last minute steal by Austin Blackwell.

Congratulations to Coach Kevin Anglin and his staff. Coach Anglin's game plans for every tournament game were right on target and he masterfully orchestrated different defensive schemes (including a box and one) to keep Christian Brothers off balance. Similar to Elder, MBA was able to hold Mr. Basketball candidate Frankie Bougher to 4-15 shooting. Defense wins championships and MBA was able to get the job done especially well on that side of the court.

But in the end it comes down to being a team. Coach Anglin's recent comments about the closeness of this squad was really the difference. When a team comes together to achieve something like this it is so special. Not because of the talent or skill but because of the special bond that forms between teammates.

Thanks Coach Anglin and to a special group of young men for such a memorable weekend and season.

Go Big Red - 2010 Division II State Basketball Champions.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Blackwell does a lot of things on the court that never show up in a box score. He now becomes their best defender (with Tyler Paslick graduating) and will draw all of the toughest assignments next year. He'll have to handle that responsibility along with his team needing hime to take over Mobley's role on the offensive side. Two big sets of shoes to fill but he is wonderfully talented young man who has an ever increasing understanding of what will make him one of MBA's greatest.

Congratulations to the Big Red. Well deserved.

It is also a red letter day because RedTwin has commented on a thread other than one relating to MBA football! Who's next to join the basketball thread--RollRedRoll?? :thumb:

Hey now... I post on the lacrosse boards too.

It is also a red letter day because RedTwin has commented on a thread other than one relating to MBA football! Who's next to join the basketball thread--RollRedRoll?? :thumb:

Thanks. It was a nice season for the Big Red, and especially for Luke Colbert, who many thought may not have been able to play after that injury during football season.

Coincidentally enough, I attended my first basketball game in 10+ years this weekend. I guess I picked a good one to attend.

I rarely have much to offer during basketball season, primarily due just to a lack of time and not so much a lack of interest. Seeing the anti-DII brain trust chimes in with its prescient comments on these threads, too, I'm apparently not missing anything I can't find on the football boards.

graceseeker has written a great summary of the championship game and the MBA team. The only addition I would have is that the road to the final four - regular season and play-offs included, was an achievement by "committee", as Coach Anglin has so accurately said. The only way this championship happens is through the efforts of each of every one of the members of this team. You can look across the players and say that every one of them made key buckets, assists, rebounds, free throws, steals, block-outs, deflections, tips - whatever it may be - at decisive moments in every game. They are all "stars" - they play for each other, and we have a coach, who is not only a master of the game and game planning/execution, but a great man and role model for our players. Thank you Big Red Basketball players, and Coach Anglin and his coaching staff for ALL the sweet memories!!!

Thanks. It was a nice season for the Big Red, and especially for Luke Colbert, who many thought may not have been able to play after that injury during football season.

Coincidentally enough, I attended my first basketball game in 10+ years this weekend. I guess I picked a good one to attend.

I rarely have much to offer during basketball season, primarily due just to a lack of time and not so much a lack of interest. Seeing the anti-DII brain trust chimes in with its prescient comments on these threads, too, I'm apparently not missing anything I can't find on the football boards.

So MBA is undefeated in basketall games that you've attended in the last 10 years. Sounds as though they'd appreciate your attending a few more games. Now all we need is a shout out on the basketboard from K Woodruff...

And yes, you are correct--the brain trust which refuses to acknowledge the accomplishments of the D-II teams doesn't discriminate among the various sports-they will respond with the same wisdom on all boards.