I have seen it all...

CoachMikeLHS

Names and dates have been ommitted as to hide the identity of the parties involved. Except mine, of course :blush:

During a recent match, one of my bench players witnessed one of the opposing bench players wandering around behind our goal. At first glance, it appeared as if he were going to shag, but I had my bench taking care of that, just not letting them linger around back there distracting the keepers. Then, after the next ball went over the touch line, we saw him snatch it up, pull a pump out from behind his back, and start to air it up. Then, he walked casually around the far side, and did the same thing. Then he waited for the one on the field to be knocked out, and finished them all off. Now, I guage my balls before every match. We use Brine NCAA Championship balls. (2 of them require 6-8psi, and the other 11-13. One was made in another country as the other 2)

Before the game, the officials checked all three, and said that they were fine. At the half, we expressed our concern, as the balls were now like rocks.

I am not sure if they ever said anything to the other coach or not.

The next night, at another match, I mentioned it to the two ref's before the game, just to see what their take was on it. They were really not cool with that, and said that it would have been a card offense for sure. I wonder what it would be? Dissent? I didn't let any air out, but I will next time.

Just thought I would share, as I have not been participating as much this year.

Good luck in the rest of all of your years!

MC

That is pretty wild (calling it Ballsy is just too easy). I guess since Law 2 states that the ref must inspect the ball(s) prior to play, it would be dissent if a player altered one without approval.

Some would also opine that an over inflated ball is dangerous especially for headers.