Elizabethton Lady Cyclones

cyclones10

The Jr Lady Cylcones play the Jr Lady Blue Devils today starting at noon in Erwin. If you come watch you will see that coach Len has a quite impressive group of young ladies coming up. Remember last years JV girls were 24-0. They are the real deal and will provide Lady Cyclone basketball with 4 more years of a deep bench satrting next year with a thus far undefeated and VERY talented JV squad coming in a year behind them. The Lady Cyclones have a very bright future!

Doodle,

Elizabethton has never denied having tuition paying county students that come to the city schools. It is perfectly legal and the students come for a variety of reasons. The Lady Cyclones have had a nice run of success and several county standouts have chosen to come play for Elizabethton. Many of them make the decision when they are in elementary or middle school. I only mentioned football because limestonecove was tearing Coach Dugger down for scheduling basketball activities on playoff game nights. Historically, that is not an issue for Unicoi Co. though they are improving and it could be a consideration in the future.

As for your assertions that Elizabethton ducks scheduling Unicoi Co. at the middle school level, they are completely untrue. T.A. Dugger and Unicoi Co. Middle are in the same conference and play each other twice a year. Historically, Unicoi Co. Middle dominated the series in girl's basketball and softball. Beginning in the late 1990's the Lady Cyclones made the series much more competitive in both sports, particularly basketball. Throughout the last decade, the Lady Cyclones have had the upper hand in basketball at the middle and high school levels. Unicoi Co. has maintained its dominance in softball, though the rivalry is more competitive now.

You are comparing apples to oranges on the boundary issue. Unicoi Co. only has one high school, so every kid in the county has only one option. Past rumors were that some North Carolina students came to Unicoi Co., but I have no proof and will assume these rumors are untrue. Carter County has four county high schools and Elizabethton High. It is perfectly legal for any county student to pay tuition and come to the city school. Recruiting is illegal and I never did it, nor do I condone it. The rivalry between these two schools is a great one and serves as a catalyst to make both teams better. There is no doubt in my mind that the Lady Cyclones programs were built to compete on Unicoi's level, because of Unicoi's successes. I still enjoy watching the games and look forward to spirited contests this season. May the best team win. Go Cyclones!!!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jr Lady Cylcones play the Jr Lady Blue Devils today starting at noon in Erwin. If you come watch you will see that coach Len has a quite impressive group of young ladies coming up. Remember last years JV girls were 24-0. They are the real deal and will provide Lady Cyclone basketball with 4 more years of a deep bench satrting next year with a thus far undefeated and VERY talented JV squad coming in a year behind them. The Lady Cyclones have a very bright future!

How many Middle Schools does Carter County have? So what you are saying is that all the girls on this team will be paying tuition in order to be able to play at Betsy. Who pays the tuition of the great players that can't afford to pay it? Does it get waived or the parents just all of a sudden come up with the money?

How many Middle Schools does Carter County have? So what you are saying is that all the girls on this team will be paying tuition in order to be able to play at Betsy. Who pays the tuition of the great players that can't afford to pay it? Does it get waived or the parents just all of a sudden come up with the money?

Carter County has three middle schools (Hampton, Happy Valley and TAD) along with several schools that are K-8. However, Elizabethton only has 1 middle school which is TAD. All elementary and middle school students outside the city limits are required to pay tuition to attend city schools. At the high school level there are a few exceptions where kids outside the city limits can attend EHS tuition free based on county/city agreements from the 1970s (1 or 2 communities where EHS is actually the closest high school). Regardless, all but one of the 7th grade girls (and 6th graders for that matter) on the team mentioned in etowndad's post go to TAD tuition free since they live in the city. The remaining girl's family chooses to live in the county, but owns a business in the city. Additionally, there is one 7th grader playing up on the 8th grade team that lives in the county and pays tuition. Tuition is not waived and, to my knowledge, no one is paying tuition for anyone else. Kids from the county that come to the city schools do so by choice. And just so you know, the kids participating in athletics are only a fraction of the tuition-paying students in the ECS system. There is a lottery system in place for out of boundary parents/kids trying to get into city elementary schools each year.

listen my daughter plays for unicoi so i have some insight.i have coached this "transfer" since she was 10

and she would have gotten mins here but what is done is done im sure they betsy wouldnt have put her on the

team if they hadnt done research thus i dont believe thier program is in jepordy, i only hope we can wear them out this season lol. so let the girls decide it on the floor the way it should be....go lady devils

Whew. Finally, another voice of reason coming from the Blue Devil faithful. Let's please return the subject of this forum back to what it was intended - discussion about the sport. You aren't likely to see this very often on here, but I agree with squirrel - let the girls decide the games on the floor.

There is a lottery system in place for out of boundary parents/kids trying to get into city elementary schools each year.

Hum! Lottery system. Athletes must be lucky. They some how always seem to get drawn before everyone else in lottery. Oh well its win at any cost I guess.Funny though Betsy never could win till they started going region wide for players.

To what are you referring (Friday the 19th or 26th)? When did EHS supposedly back out of playing Science Hill? Regardless, this a game I'd like to see.

I know for a fact elizabethton backed out of the game 26th.Just ask the people hosting at happy alley.They will tell you.Dont know why.Ido know why in reg season the boys wouldnt.There missing a great gate

Hum! Lottery system. Athletes must be lucky. They some how always seem to get drawn before everyone else in lottery. Oh well its win at any cost I guess.Funny though Betsy never could win till they started going region wide for players.

The lottery system that I referred to is for elementary schools only, i.e. K-5, which don't even have athletic teams. Although TAD used to use a lottery when the enrollment was higher, both TAD and EHS accept all tuition paying students now, so the ridiculous comment about athletes getting preferential treatment is bogus. Additionally, your comment about "win at any cost" is hypocritical. I could spend hours trolly UC threads involving multiple sports spewing venomous gossip about rumored unscrupulous personal behavior and rules violations by UC players, parents and coaches; but why? That would be childish at best and reckless at worst even if I knew it to be true. And for what purpose? This forum should be about the sports. I suggest we keep it about that. Finally, your comments about Betsy never winning without "region wide" players is laughable. EHS represented well both athletically and academically for years while competing against much larger schools as part of the Big 7/9/10 Conference. At times, Betsy has benefited from out of zone players, but they have lost their share of in zone quality athletes to schools as far away as THS and DBHS as well. Since dropping down in classification, they have continued to be very competitive in most sports. Hey the band just won the state championship. I suppose we had to rely on recruits, transfers and/or out of zone students to make that happen as well. LOL. My two cents...

Is Elizabethton not playing on friday at HV so the kids can go to Alcoa for the football game?

No I dont think so as I understand that Dugger backed out of the Science Hill game weeks ago when there was no way to know Betsy would still be playing football. I will tell you why I think he backed out of playing SH-----in his mind he has nothing to gain by beating them and much to lose if he doesnt. Sparky you have a pipeline to Dugger and have been asked for weeks why he wouldnt play SH-----do ask the Man why and let us know what he says.

Not only did they duck Science Hill but they ducked Cloudland as well. Not going to put anyone on the spot but this is not the first time he has pulled this. I spoke with a very respectful alumni at the Happy Valley,South Greene game and I was told when the schedule was being finalized Coach Dugger was asked if he thought that there would be any conflict of playing on a Friday and he said no.

Well when told that Elizabethton would be playing both Cloudland Science Hill he was quick to the mention that it might not be a good idea,that it might cause some conflict with the school if Elizabethton was to make it to the 4th round in football.