BIG 8 IN 2010/2011

wkktnvolsfan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mom, I don't know of many players that are at VI from the Express. Meanwhile, I do know of some that are in many other places. So where did Myers inject this Volunteer player? And what kind of deal did he get her?

One player, Layken Gilliam, went to NAIA Pikeville College from what I heard and the other, now get this, went to VI and quit.... In the NAIA the only offer you can get is 60% of total tuition. You can get money for grades but that still counts towards budget. The one that went to VI only got $4000 to play. Dont know Layken.

NAIA and DII schools cost between 26K and 40K. Let's take 33K as a medium. Let's say you get a whopping 20K which is unheard of...then mom and dad are left to pay 13K. That would be 13K x 4 years. Somebody want to add that up. And you won't get your degree in 4 years. And you ain't gonna get 20K. Some scholarship...at the great academia institution of Pikeville. Oh, and pray you don't get hurt. ETSU costs 8.5K. Before the HOPE. Before academic money. You don't go DI and get a full ride...maybe you should save mom and dad some cash and be realistic and get a good education at home. The Express, on the other hand, in the past 4 years has only put one girl in DII. That would be Whitney Moody/Sullivan Central/Carson Newman. The rest have gone DI. With full rides...by the way. I have heard good things about Myers though. And I wish the best for Lindholm and her teammates. Truly, I wish the best for all the girls. But I would like to be clear on one thing...The Express has a reputation...and that reputation is built on results. VI or no VI, the Express will continue to roll.

Talk is cheap. Don't over do it about volunteer. Sometimes its better to stay quite. Also the express is doing just find and Im sure the coach from express did'nt come a beggin. -_--_-:lol::lol:-_-

Hmmm, sounds like someone from Volunteer didn't quiet measure up.

No...didn't show up. I'm sure she would measure up just fine.

Shelby May, Virginia Intermont.

I have seen this arguement for years on both the boy's and girl's side of AAU. It boils down to this: when you have D1 talent on your roster, then your roster produces D1 scholarships. If you don't have D1 talent then you aren't getting a D1 scholarship.

NAIA and DII schools cost between 26K and 40K. Let's take 33K as a medium. Let's say you get a whopping 20K which is unheard of...then mom and dad are left to pay 13K. That would be 13K x 4 years. Somebody want to add that up. And you won't get your degree in 4 years. And you ain't gonna get 20K. Some scholarship...at the great academia institution of Pikeville. Oh, and pray you don't get hurt. ETSU costs 8.5K. Before the HOPE. Before academic money. You don't go DI and get a full ride...maybe you should save mom and dad some cash and be realistic and get a good education at home. The Express, on the other hand, in the past 4 years has only put one girl in DII. That would be Whitney Moody/Sullivan Central/Carson Newman. The rest have gone DI. With full rides...by the way. I have heard good things about Myers though. And I wish the best for Lindholm and her teammates. Truly, I wish the best for all the girls. But I would like to be clear on one thing...The Express has a reputation...and that reputation is built on results. VI or no VI, the Express will continue to roll.

I will speak for Gilliam from Volunteer, since I am her mom and know the facts.

No, Coach Myers did not help her one bit to receive a basketball scholarship, she did it all on her own by playing travel ball and exposure tournaments. It really comes down to the player and what they want to do. Some, like my daughter really wanted to play in NAIA and no shame to any girl that wants to go that route. She knew in Div I that she would only be a practice dummy and she also looked at herself and knew where her level would be. She did bring in 5 college coaches this past season to the gym at VHS and one Kentucky recruiter for various schools. These coaches saw her in exposure events and the biggest from last summer in Louisville, KY at the Blue Chip where she made the All-Star team. And like Hoopallday states, there were over 150+ in attendance. She received many letters this past year from D1, D2, D3, and NAIA, which anyone will tell you doesn't mean jack, because chances are they sent the same letter to 50 other girls. It is constantly working to improve your game. I do believe that a girl does need to be in travel ball and at exposure events to be seen in this era.

Now, why she chose Pikeville, truly the best offer. She narrowed it down to Pikeville, UVA-Wise, and Union in Ky. Loved all 3 schools, but had a gut feeling about UVA-Wise coach that he would leave by her Freshman year (and he resigned last week), loved Union because she could tell the coach was all disciplined, but it was pricey. It came down to the money $'s with Pikeville giving her the best scholarship of all with basketball and academic money and it is the cheapest private school at only $20,000 total a year. Now, the government thinks we're rich, so no financial aid for her, but if she was eligible then she probably would be able to go totally paid, but what minimum it is turning out to be, it will not be a hardship. Also, a big thanks to former coach Todd Whittemore who made the call to the Pikeville coach when he found out she was going for a visit and he truly got her the $'s.

Comp, you might be happy when the times comes that your daughter might have to go NAIA, no shame in it at all. VI is getting in my opinion one of the best guards in the state with Fanney. She and my daughter along with another VI player in Orrick played travel together and are outstanding players and show how hard it is out there when it comes down to it. Heck, Fanney was even All-State tournament team. But, Laiken is very proud to become a Lady Bear and she is also looking forward to play in the first team of the Rocky Top League that starts next week in Knoxville and having a Lady Vol on her team too.

Hoop, she really appreciated you checking on her a few months ago too, she has a lot of respect for you too.

Surge, I won't to issue you a special round of thanks for keeping it civil. I am guilty many times of not being able to do just that. As far as your post in reference to my post, I have been there done that. So that is the reason for my attitude. Yes, I have another one to go and have learned much but by no means am an expert. I am happy for anyone who can play on and justify the cost. For me it became entirely an economical issue. And no, there is no shame. It's all in what is important to the family involved. My experience with a small college was not a good one...the whole gammut up to and including the transfer of college credits to a state university. These are things you just don't know until you get there. And yes, there are very few DI athletes in our area and they always stand out from the crowd. My opinon is but just that...my opinion. I think hearing stories form both sides of the fence is good for potential college parents. I winged it and learned everything the hard way.

Shelby May, Virginia Intermont.

I have seen this arguement for years on both the boy's and girl's side of AAU. It boils down to this: when you have D1 talent on your roster, then your roster produces D1 scholarships. If you don't have D1 talent then you aren't getting a D1 scholarship.

Very true Panther.