Memphis Commercial Appeal Pepsi Best of Preps

DragonSoc

Very poor list of finalists. Usually they miss out on one or so, but this list is sad. In 2008, four of the five were not arguable, with the 4 being the legitimate best 4 players in the city. In 2009, the list was okay but Dennis Kennetz should have been a finalist, no question. This year, they got 2 right.

Which 3 that aren't on here would you recommend?

It wasn't a bad list. Three of the schools represented were pretty easy, I could make a case for Van der Voort or Gagnon from ECS, I could also make a case for Gardea, Franklin, or Banks from CBHS, I could make a case for Felsenthal or Brown from White Station, and I could make a case for Montsinger or Baker at MUS. The Kingsbury player had a nice year, but with the exception of White Station, the public schools were a little down, not bad, just a little down from years past. Hensley from Collierville, definitely should have gotten consideration, as should Vaughn from Central and Ballard from Braircrest. I'm sure they probably did. Although, I have been told your team pretty much has to go to state to make the list. I think that is a little unfair. Soccer is a team sport and the best players aren't always surrounded by as solid a group as others.

The state thing does explain some of the picks the past couple years. Last year 3 CBHS players, 1 White Station, and 1 Kingsbury made the list. Dennis Kennetz should definitely have made the list. The year before 3 Houston players and 2 from CBHS.(4 were very strong) but lots of players were overlooked for the 5th spot. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But, I'm not voting. All in all, it was a great season and the Memphis teams did really well.

Yes, it would be nice for some of the players to have the recognition to put in their player bio in college and have a little recognition in town, but most of the players overlooked really don't care. The parents just want it for their sons, which is completely understandable.

I would like to acknowledge how nice the prep soccer coverage was this year in Memphis. I know there are a lot of sports going on in the spring and soccer got a lot of nice articles. Congratulations to all the best of the prep all metro honorees.

Any award, selection or list is going to spawn debate.

It is hard for anyone to make a case for any player without first knowing the criteria from which the list is made. Do coaches get to nominate, do reporters vote, does most goals win for an offensive player, most shut-outs for a defender, is a state berth a pre-requisite, is it the performance for the season, their high school career or a marquee game, does a state title regardless of division give a player an upper edge?

Depending on which criteria you choose to look at, a case could be made supporting all five of the finalists, and they should be congratulated along with all the ALL-Metro selections. On the flip-side, the same argument could be made for several other players, and again...depending on the criteria, a case could also be made against most of the five finalists.

It shouldn't be about a school, or a state berth or a state championship unless the player being considered has a dramatic impact in those games that tilts the scale in their favor. This is after all an individual recognition and not a "school" award. Likewise, players shouldn't be picked just to give parity among the schools. In the future, perhaps dividing up between the city and county or public and private may better serve those distinctions and readerships.

I will agree, most of the elite players in the area know who they are and know each other. They don't necessarily need a formal recognition as long as they have the respect of their peers and coaches. I'm pretty confident the alternate names tossed out so far have both.

Congratulations to Chandler Gagnon (ECS) 2010 Pepsi Commercial Appeal Best of the Prep Boys Soccer

Also, Olivia Harrison (Houston) on the girls' side.

.....and to Matthew Sims who was named Scholar-Athete of the Year from St. George's. Great soccer player as well as basketball and golfer and headed to University of Michigan.