Girl, 13, Fights To Play Football in Henry County

score3

Would you let her play?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you let the 13 year old girl play middle school football with the guys?

Thought this would make an interesting discussion. Story is below. Would you let this young girl play middle school football with the guys? Why or why not?

http://www.wsmv.com/sports/24456932/detail.html

Girl, 13, Fights To Play Football In Henry County

Director Of Education Says Girls Aren’t Allowed To Play Football

PARIS, Tenn. -- School-sanctioned football can only be played by boys in Henry County, but a middle-school girl and her mother want to change that. Thirteen-year-old Sara Torres' dream is to be the first female quarterback to play for the Tennessee Vols.“I think I'm a big girl. I can handle it if the guys can. I think we should have a chance (to do) what we love,†Sara said.“She loves the Tennessee Vols and Peyton Manning," said her mom.Sara said Henry County's Director of Education decided girls aren’t allowed to play football, even in middle school, because there's too much of a chance they'll get hurt.“I'm going to get hurt in softball and basketball and soccer,†said Sara. “They're just afraid that a girl can beat guys."Sara's mom wouldn't let her daughter try out for the team last year, but the teen kept insisting her mom let her go for it.“It's my child's dream to play football, so therefore, I'll help her do whatever it takes,†said Sara's mom.So far, the family has called the ACLU, the U.S. Department of Education, Equal Rights and Channel 4 News.Sara said the coach at Henry County Elementary told her he wanted her on the team, but for now, she’s still stuck in the stands.“Girls can go into the Army. Can they not just play football?†said Sara.The Assistant Director of Henry County Schools has not responded to Channel 4’s requests for comment.Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association officials said its rules allow for women to play football for schools. In fact, several girls are on Tennessee high school football teams this upcoming season. TSSAA officials said in the past some have even scored touchdowns and made all-state teams.David Williams, a law professor at Vanderbilt University and expert in this field, said because football is considered a contact sport, by law, schools do not have to allow women to participate.