Running up the Score part IV?

siegelsoccer

Spin it as you need to in order to get some sleep. The books say 11-0. Your mother would be ashamed.

Yes, I agree. The whole world saw Miami win the national championship (was that 5 or 6?) and a ref on the other side of the field over ruled what the ref 5 foot from the play (and the entire world) saw as a touchdown. In as far as Virginia...sorry american sport, american rules. If you have read the posts on this topic over the years, that is the position on this. Running up soccer scores into the double-digits is the "american football: mentality rolled into english soccer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spin it as you need to in order to get some sleep. The books say 11-0. Your mother would be ashamed.

Yes, I agree. The whole world saw Miami win the national championship (was that 5 or 6?) and a ref on the other side of the field over ruled what the ref 5 foot from the play (and the entire world) saw as a touchdown. In as far as Virginia...sorry american sport, american rules. If you have read the posts on this topic over the years, that is the position on this. Running up soccer scores into the double-digits is the "american football: mentality rolled into english soccer.

Buckle up!!!!!!

Spin it as you need to in order to get some sleep. The books say 11-0. Your mother would be ashamed. /quote]

Canesoverhere you are casting aspersions at a coach and players who do not deserve to be demeaned.

The losing coach was in "Total Control" of how long the game continued past half time. The winning coach was willing to exercise the TSSAA rule that allowed to game to terminate once the first half had been completed. The losing coach stated how long he wanted his team to play in the second half. Once he had made the substitutions he chose to make, for His own reasons, he let the referee crew know that He desired the game to end.

Your Mother is the one who would be ashamed for your unwillingness to read and comprehend the information already provided. Instead you choose to accuse and attribute nefarious motives to a Coach and players who exhibited nothing but good sporting behavior for the duration of playing time dictated by their opponent.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Canes, the season is over now - you can get back in your "holier-than-thou mobile" and drive back up to the top of Mt. Utopia where all refs make the right off- sides calls (according to you), where no players' feelings are hurt (because all games end in 1-1 ties), and those games that don't end in ties receive your holy blessing for being fairly played with no mean ole' chest-beating, stat-inflating players or coaches out there to pick on the poor little teams that would never stand a chance without you being there to protect them. I bet it is nice up there, but I sure wouldn't want to be your neighbor - particularly since you probably live in a glass house.

By the way, did you happen to see the stories about Oakland and Knox Catholic, both of whom made the final eight this year? You might want to read up on how those teams spent the past few years getting "picked on" (in your book) and beaten by scores that would make you cringe (and scream in moral outrage) - but lo and behold, those players say today that it was those very games in which they were blown out that gave them the motivation to keep working hard, and were a big part of the reason they were able to reach their goal of making the final eight this year.

So, Canes, there are certainly instances where teams run up the score and probably shouldn't. But you know what, I would be willing to bet that the players on those teams don't need you to go around patronizing them with your high and mighty moralistic pronouncements on what is wrong with sports today. My bet is that they can take care of themselves just fine.

OK Canes, the season is over now - you can get back in your "holier-than-thou mobile" and drive back up to the top of Mt. Utopia where all refs make the right off- sides calls (according to you), where no players' feelings are hurt (because all games end in 1-1 ties), and those games that don't end in ties receive your holy blessing for being fairly played with no mean ole' chest-beating, stat-inflating players or coaches out there to pick on the poor little teams that would never stand a chance without you being there to protect them. I bet it is nice up there, but I sure wouldn't want to be your neighbor - particularly since you probably live in a glass house.

By the way, did you happen to see the stories about Oakland and Knox Catholic, both of whom made the final eight this year? You might want to read up on how those teams spent the past few years getting "picked on" (in your book) and beaten by scores that would make you cringe (and scream in moral outrage) - but lo and behold, those players say today that it was those very games in which they were blown out that gave them the motivation to keep working hard, and were a big part of the reason they were able to reach their goal of making the final eight this year.

So, Canes, there are certainly instances where teams run up the score and probably shouldn't. But you know what, I would be willing to bet that the players on those teams don't need you to go around patronizing them with your high and mighty moralistic pronouncements on what is wrong with sports today. My bet is that they can take care of themselves just fine.

Yes, we all have opinions about how a game should be played when there is an inequity in the skill/talent between teams. As high school football decides what divisions we all compete in, we all know that is not going to change unless it will benefit football.

Each year this topic is discussed (at nauseum). Either last year or the year prior, there was benefit as we tried to define the largest point spread at which a comeback actually did take place. If I recall, it was 5 or 6 goals. So at a score of 7-0, or even 8-0, it should be evident that 1. the chance of a challenge is over and 2. the defense of the other team is overwhelmed. By your suggestion i guess the team should just keep pounding goals?

No, a 1-0 score is not the goal. But there are plenty of matches that take place every year that actually could end in 1-0 because it was over before the whistle sounded. It is not either teams fault. But running a score isn't the answer either.