TSSAA CONCUSSION POLICY 2010-2011

CHAMPDDS

Does anyone know if additional training is required/provided for the refs,etc.so they are capable of determining if a player has had a concussion and should be pulled out from the current game....since the rule requires that a medical release must be signed by a physician before the player can return to playing (obviously once pulled out of the game, they will be ineligible to return to that game....)

I realize it is better to err on the side of safety, but what training do refs/etc. have in regards to recognizing signs of a concussion ? How many coaches/trainers have reviewed the information that TSSAA says should be made available to them and to players/parents ? Seems without proper training, a ref could incorrectly 'diagnose' a player, and affect the game ?

http://tssaa.org/concussion.pdf

D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

I believe that there was a 10 minute video show or was at least available to referees on the matter.

I have a strong feeling that it is going to an issue somewhere along the line where a kid is held out at the discretion of an unqualified person. I guess the best bet will be to have a Athletic Trainer or Team Doctor on the sideline, but not all school have them or have them available for all girls soccer matches.

Does anyone know if additional training is required/provided for the refs,etc.so they are capable of determining if a player has had a concussion and should be pulled out from the current game....since the rule requires that a medical release must be signed by a physician before the player can return to playing (obviously once pulled out of the game, they will be ineligible to return to that game....)

I realize it is better to err on the side of safety, but what training do refs/etc. have in regards to recognizing signs of a concussion ? How many coaches/trainers have reviewed the information that TSSAA says should be made available to them and to players/parents ? Seems without proper training, a ref could incorrectly 'diagnose' a player, and affect the game ?

http://tssaa.org/concussion.pdf

D

On line rules meeting will cover it. Here it is in a nutshell:

Any player who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a

concussion (such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion

or balance problems) shall be immediately removed from the game and shall

not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health-care professional.

I don't believe a "medical diagnosis" by the referee is required. All that is required is that they recognize the "signs, symptoms, or behaviors" which are plain as day. When in doubt - Law 18, the Law of Common Sense

Knowing coaches will be coaches, this is going to be really interesting to see how this is handled. For the most part, all schools in Knox Co. have a trainer present. But, in the simplest of cases, most athletes will be out for a week or so. I really wonder how this is going to play out in football.

Saw a thing about this on Bryant Gumbell's HBO show, linking Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) to concussions....One point they made, was that a concussion in itself may not be the factor, but how the person is taken care of afterwards, is critical to avoiding toxic proteins from developing....Emphasizing physical resting, but also actually resting the brain itself with limited mental activity...curious how this is handled with school players and missing class ?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/17/als.lou.gehrigs.concussions/index.html

Did concussions play role in Lou Gehrig's disease?By Stephanie Smith, CNNAugust 17, 2010 8:21 p.m. EDT

Saw a thing about this on Bryant Gumbell's HBO show, linking Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) to concussions....One point they made, was that a concussion in itself may not be the factor, but how the person is taken care of afterwards, is critical to avoiding toxic proteins from developing....Emphasizing physical resting, but also actually resting the brain itself with limited mental activity...curious how this is handled with school players and missing class ?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/17/als.lou.gehrigs.concussions/index.html

Did concussions play role in Lou Gehrig's disease?By Stephanie Smith, CNNAugust 17, 2010 8:21 p.m. EDT

Probably a good bet that neurological disorders are all connected. Look at Muhammad Ali. Remember Tony Conigliaro - he was beaned in the face and never recovered. He passed away at an early age - 45 I believe.