Siegel vs Oakland

crazy_cowboy89

Back when this rivalry thing first started Salty stirred that tasteless pot good in the variety show with his lil free lunch skit. It went over the line and should never have been allowed by administrators at Siegel to make fun of kids whose parents were struggling. Well, a group from OHS made a tshirt about Salty. I thought it was out of line myself, but even some from Siegel thought it may have been justified . Tackett told the kids that they would be suspended if they wore it to school and he followed through with what he said.

If you ever went to siegel game at that time, tasteless chants were the name of the game, especially during basketball season. The Nation didn't have too much to cheer about in football. Ask folk from Warren County, chants were done about incest ! Siegel has gotten a bad name in this region and rightly so and it all started there and then.

I will say that the Siegel 's Garbage cheers get to Siegel worse than anything else.....guess it is cause most of them were raised to believe "theirs don't stink." The "garbage" started because of that free lunch skit.

Now let's get off this and move on. Good luck to Siegel the remainder of the year. I am proud of the Pats and holding an opponent, especially a rival , to less than 20 yds total is pretty dang impressive!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win tonight - did you think we really could stay with your guys?

As for the t-shirts, I'm looking at one now and would wear it in front of any pastor in town. Nothing ugly, but it seems that the line again is drawn not in the middle but skewed to Jokelands side. Isn't it amazing that your admin can stop a high school kid from wearing a shirt from Siegel but it's ok for jokeland to bring theirs? First names were the issue right? We need permission to put it on a t-shirt? OK, then when do you and your kids ask for permission for the things being shouted at our players? It don't work that way Lonegone, oakland does what they want and then stops you from doing it because its tastless. Wow - you guys really have a reality check comming IF you get out of your safe haven on your side of town.

Pompous? On our side of Memorial the road is called Haynes Drive, your side it changes to"Dejarnett". Pompous - you got it right there. And for the record, calling the other team garbage or telling the player by your failed cheering squad a jerk or that they suck isn't crossing the line when it's being done by you right?

Good luck the rest of the year!

Half of the people doing postings apparently forget to realize the schools are populated by kids. Yes, immature individuals not generally legally responsible for their actions. Some of their actions appear to be impulsive and not well thought out. Likewise, generalizations fail if exceptions can be found. Are all Siegel students bad because a few got caught painting a building? No. Likewise, does anyone think the "powder gate" incident was an attempt by Oakland students to injure a Siegel player (guess what, LaBron James does it and a Siegel soccer player did it before their games)? No, Oakland players were on the same court. It seems that a few of the posters might even be less mature than the inhabitants at the schools. Keep it about the game and don't make excuses. Oakland dominated and deserved to win. Siegel clearly lost. What the students wore in the stands, did in a basketball game, or painted during extracurricular activities is irrelevant.

Back when this rivalry thing first started Salty stirred that tasteless pot good in the variety show with his lil free lunch skit. It went over the line and should never have been allowed by administrators at Siegel to make fun of kids whose parents were struggling. Well, a group from OHS made a tshirt about Salty. I thought it was out of line myself, but even some from Siegel thought it may have been justified . Tackett told the kids that they would be suspended if they wore it to school and he followed through with what he said.

If you ever went to siegel game at that time, tasteless chants were the name of the game, especially during basketball season. The Nation didn't have too much to cheer about in football. Ask folk from Warren County, chants were done about incest ! Siegel has gotten a bad name in this region and rightly so and it all started there and then.

I will say that the Siegel 's Garbage cheers get to Siegel worse than anything else.....guess it is cause most of them were raised to believe "theirs don't stink." The "garbage" started because of that free lunch skit.

Now let's get off this and move on. Good luck to Siegel the remainder of the year. I am proud of the Pats and holding an opponent, especially a rival , to less than 20 yds total is pretty dang impressive!

OK, enough said - nope, I just read the DNJ article about the game. This discussion can be summed up in paragraph 5 on page two. Your admin sure can stop the chants/t-shirts but again, can't control their own. I'd rather loose playing fair than "being the dirtier team". Good thing? Bad name in the region? How will folks across the state react when one of the top teams admits to dirty play in a newspaper! Wait for it - here comes the damage control!!! 1) "Siegel was dirty first", 2) Them shirts did it", 3) "We owe it to them 'cause they's arrogant/rich/pompous", 4) "Its a rival school and it's OK"... shall I go on? Glad your proud of your team. Where are all the others that said they would call this out? "Oh Andy, this is BIG"...

Half of the people doing postings apparently forget to realize the schools are populated by kids. Yes, immature individuals not generally legally responsible for their actions. Some of their actions appear to be impulsive and not well thought out. Likewise, generalizations fail if exceptions can be found. Are all Siegel students bad because a few got caught painting a building? No. Likewise, does anyone think the "powder gate" incident was an attempt by Oakland students to injure a Siegel player (guess what, LaBron James does it and a Siegel soccer player did it before their games)? No, Oakland players were on the same court. It seems that a few of the posters might even be less mature than the inhabitants at the schools. Keep it about the game and don't make excuses. Oakland dominated and deserved to win. Siegel clearly lost. What the students wore in the stands, did in a basketball game, or painted during extracurricular activities is irrelevant.

Two questions - Where is basketball played - indoors on a wood floor or outdoors on an open field? Did a large portion of the students at Siegel do the powder thing with the soccer player? We've killed this horse so I'm letting it go. My point is that both schools have done some stupid things in the past and some on here think their school doesn't. Trying to show that but again, jokeland does no wrong.

Oakland did dominate - no need for them to "be the dirtier team" - see DNJ article. Some win, others win with class. This will come back to haunt Oakland - I'd have it up on my locker room board if I was playing you guys this next week.

OK, enough said - nope, I just read the DNJ article about the game. This discussion can be summed up in paragraph 5 on page two. Your admin sure can stop the chants/t-shirts but again, can't control their own. I'd rather loose playing fair than "being the dirtier team". Good thing? Bad name in the region? How will folks across the state react when one of the top teams admits to dirty play in a newspaper! Wait for it - here comes the damage control!!! 1) "Siegel was dirty first", 2) Them shirts did it", 3) "We owe it to them 'cause they's arrogant/rich/pompous", 4) "Its a rival school and it's OK"... shall I go on? Glad your proud of your team. Where are all the others that said they would call this out? "Oh Andy, this is BIG"...

5) Call the DNJ to make a retraction of what was said - misquoted, no doubt.

This sure was a hot thread - you couldn't get your reply out without some one comming right back at you within minutes. Where oh where have the little Pattys gone? Oh, where oh where could they be?

Good win tonight - did you think we really could stay with your guys?

As for the t-shirts, I'm looking at one now and would wear it in front of any pastor in town. Nothing ugly, but it seems that the line again is drawn not in the middle but skewed to Jokelands side. Isn't it amazing that your admin can stop a high school kid from wearing a shirt from Siegel but it's ok for jokeland to bring theirs? First names were the issue right? We need permission to put it on a t-shirt? OK, then when do you and your kids ask for permission for the things being shouted at our players? It don't work that way Lonegone, oakland does what they want and then stops you from doing it because its tastless. Wow - you guys really have a reality check comming IF you get out of your safe haven on your side of town.

Pompous? On our side of Memorial the road is called Haynes Drive, your side it changes to"Dejarnett". Pompous - you got it right there. And for the record, calling the other team garbage or telling the player by your failed cheering squad a jerk or that they suck isn't crossing the line when it's being done by you right?

Good luck the rest of the year!

So, when it get's personal it's ok....or just ok when it's coming from Siegel students.

I would not expect you to know that Haynes Drive is named after the person who owned the land where the road (and several neighborhoods) are now located. Pretty much like your school, and the road it sits on being named for the person who owned the land previously. For you to insinuate that Oakland made a name change from Haynes drive to Dejarnette (spelled correctly) is absolutely absurd, since the name change at Memorial has been that way since before you were born. Please tell more about the player by our failed cheering squad?

Not #1, not #2, not #3, not #4....

Probably a website that is blocked on the Haynes Drive side of Memorial is UrbanDictionary.com:

In the connotation used in the DNJ article:

Dirty: Really good, superlative, sick, awesome

Nasty: A word used to describe someone's excellent ability at something or to describe something ridiculously good.

Now an OHS supporter has actually educated, or tried to educate, a Siegel supporter.

Edited by randymc

What a whiner!

5) Call the DNJ to make a retraction of what was said - misquoted, no doubt.

This sure was a hot thread - you couldn't get your reply out without some one comming right back at you within minutes. Where oh where have the little Pattys gone? Oh, where oh where could they be?

I believe I had a spelling error in a previous post. Instead of Seagull, it should have been Seagurl.

What's with all the incorrect noun/verb agreement and misplaced pronouns? Are you trying to caricature Oakland supporters with your poor attempt at humor? All it does is cement the fact that Siegelites think they're the "educated" ones, and that Oakland isn't.

Your comment about Dejarnette is ridiculous...it doesn't warrant a response.

Here's my take on Siegel: I moved into this community 7 years ago...about the time Siegel was opened. I was totally aloof regarding what was going on when the school opened...principal left the school, took faculty with him, band director took instruments, and so on. I really didn't know what it all meant because I wasn't familiar with the schools here. What I learned quickly, though, was that people thought Siegel would be a place where everything was new, and that everything would be great regarding athletics and academics.

However, when Oakland acquired the IB program, we "one-upped" Siegel and had something that we could be proud of. Then, throw in some football victories (a state championship), several basketball victories (a district 7AAA title), and the best baseball program in District 7AAA, and you quickly get a legitimate school that survived the "rape" that occured when the school board opened Siegel. Siegel people didn't like that the school they'd left was now more successful than the school they'd stood in line for so long to register for (even if it meant getting a utility bill from the Paddock Club across the street).

So, yes, Oakland is proud that it survived and has exceeded expectations. So, when your kids make a t-shirt that says our kids are a joke, I have to take issue (especially when I'm aware of some of the extracurricular activities that the t-shirt inventor has taken part in). What do immature HS kids do when they're verbally attacked like that...they respond in like fashion. Doesn't make it right, but someone HAS to stop it on their end. I'll do my part...what about you?

Edited by 2seam

So, when it get's personal it's ok....or just ok when it's coming from Siegel students.

Good point - I was wondering the same from your students!

I would not expect you to know that Haynes Drive is named after the person who owned the land where the road (and several neighborhoods) are now located. Pretty much like your school, and the road it sits on being named for the person who owned the land previously. For you to insinuate that Oakland made a name change from Haynes drive to Dejarnette (spelled correctly) is absolutely absurd, since the name change at Memorial has been that way since before you were born. Please tell more about the player by our failed cheering squad?

Correct - not from here so wouldn't know if Haynes was a person or the road was going to an skivies factory. Couldn't care less but it's always good fodder to fire up the Oakland faithful when they complain about poor us - the rich kids at Siegel, etc. Don't know about you but that one subdivision over your way looks like it's pretty expensive. I was referring to the chants at basketball games - wasn't their last night but was told that "Siegels Garbage" was the chant at the end of the game - I've tried to point out that both sides are guilty but it always comes back that Oakland does no wrong. And I can spell if I wish, corectly. Is that all you got on me?

Not #1, not #2, not #3, not #4....

Probably a website that is blocked on the Haynes Drive side of Memorial is UrbanDictionary.com:

In the connotation used in the DNJ article:

Dirty: Really good, superlative, sick, awesome

Nasty: A word used to describe someone's excellent ability at something or to describe something ridiculously good.

Now an OHS supporter has actually educated, or tried to educate, a Siegel supporter.

From dictionary - The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language - Dirty: 1) Soiled, as with dirt; grimy; unclean. 2) Obscene or scatological. 3) Contemptibly contrary to honor or rules. 4, 5 and 6 are off base - but this is English language and it still means what it did 20 plus years ago - playing dirty means breaking rules. Sorry, I don't speak nor acknowledge hip-hop or rap slang. No offence intended but just don't speak the language. Sorry. So, does your IB program allow this slang?