Great Officiating Calls

Canesoverhere

I think as long as people of your generation continue to demonstrate their pomposity, self-importance, pretentiousness and arrogance of their remarks, frustration will definitely continue. I am thankful that the rulers of the laws of the game do not share your attitude.

You have it wrong CC. I am not important. But I am probably the only person on this forum that sticks up for refereeing. It has to be done because as long as people here on this forum continue to bash officiating, for their own reasons, there has to be a champion for the other side. I am in lockstep with FIFA on preserving the flow of the game. For some people here, flow should be interrupted for a perfect call. FIFA does not share that belief. BTW the rulers of this game are a generation a head of me, as I am a half century. Sepp Blatter is in his 70's.

The rulers of this game want to preserve the integrity of the game but also improve it without destroying the game. Its a delicate issue. Have I said something factually inaccurate regarding the laws? I corrected a misuse in the laws of the game. Is it proper for people to continue to misquote the laws? It shows how little they know and that they argue from a faulty position, or like shouting at the rain.

I will say this, to paraphrase Stephen King, "give me what I want (no bashing officiating), and I will go away". As long as bashing officiating remains on this forum, I will have a purpose. If that is frustrating then its simple - do not bash officiating. The choice is simple. I will always defend attacks on officiating on this forum if those attacks are malicious, spiteful, and personal. If you feel that is arrogant so be it. Who is being arrogant and pretentious by not quoting the proper language and understanding in the laws?

Officiating is a part of the game that must be held to the highest regard, because it is people, flaws and all, that are the heart and soul of the game, not technology. If you do not accept the flaws of refereeing, its not this world. I accept that people misquote the laws. But I do not accept that they misquote then misapply without being called on the carpet.

Edited by socref1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were prone to gamble, I would bet that goal-line technology will be in place by the next World Cup. And the game will be better for it. :wub:

Maybe the goal line technology will be ready for World Cup and limited higher venues. Don't count on it in HS sports or in East Ridge unless everyone adopts it. TSSAA hasn't weighed in on electronic aids.

You have it wrong CC. I am not important. But I am probably the only person on this forum that sticks up for refereeing. It has to be done because as long as people here on this forum continue to bash officiating, for their own reasons, there has to be a champion for the other side. I am in lockstep with FIFA on preserving the flow of the game. For some people here, flow should be interrupted for a perfect call. FIFA does not share that belief. BTW the rulers of this game are a generation a head of me, as I am a half century. Sepp Blatter is in his 70's.

The rulers of this game want to preserve the integrity of the game but also improve it without destroying the game. Its a delicate issue. Have I said something factually inaccurate regarding the laws? I corrected a misuse in the laws of the game. Is it proper for people to continue to misquote the laws? It shows how little they know and that they argue from a faulty position, or like shouting at the rain.

I will say this, to paraphrase Stephen King, "give me what I want (no bashing officiating), and I will go away". As long as bashing officiating remains on this forum, I will have a purpose. If that is frustrating then its simple - do not bash officiating. The choice is simple. I will always defend attacks on officiating on this forum if those attacks are malicious, spiteful, and personal. If you feel that is arrogant so be it. Who is being arrogant and pretentious by not quoting the proper language and understanding in the laws?

Officiating is a part of the game that must be held to the highest regard, because it is people, flaws and all, that are the heart and soul of the game, not technology. If you do not accept the flaws of refereeing, its not this world. I accept that people misquote the laws. But I do not accept that they misquote then misapply without being called on the carpet.

Let's have a conversation when you get off your medication. Supporting new technology is not bashing officials. Officials do not have a bigger fan than me as people that know me can attest. I spent my day yesterday keeping peace with unruly fans? (parents) who would not lay off officials, so you are preaching to the choir. So, go have a beer with the guy who takes players out of games for having unmatching sliders, give a toast to the beautiful game, give another toast to the laws, and relax.

Let's have a conversation when you get off your medication. Supporting new technology is not bashing officials. Officials do not have a bigger fan than me as people that know me can attest. I spent my day yesterday keeping peace with unruly fans? (parents) who would not lay off officials, so you are preaching to the choir. So, go have a beer with the guy who takes players out of games for having unmatching sliders, give a toast to the beautiful game, give another toast to the laws, and relax.

You don't need to be churlish. The way you brought about the argument for technology was a bash since it implied the refs in the England Germany game were incompetent. They saw what they saw. You needed to frame the argument for technology such a way not to be condescending. I actually did an adult game where I found a cold beer in my ref bag after the match. That's the ultimate thanks. My experience with parents are that some are caring, and understand If you are the person I believe you are, you will be fair. You called me arrogant for being precise with my interpretation of the laws of the game. I never took a player out for mismatched sliders. That is extreme. I'd let players beat each other up if that is what they want. Its whatever they want. If they want technology fine. I don't think they want needless interruption of the game to arbitrate a call. There is enough theatrics already.

You don't need to be churlish. The way you brought about the argument for technology was a bash since it implied the refs in the England Germany game were incompetent. They saw what they saw. You needed to frame the argument for technology such a way not to be condescending. I actually did an adult game where I found a cold beer in my ref bag after the match. That's the ultimate thanks. My experience with parents are that some are caring, and understand If you are the person I believe you are, you will be fair. You called me arrogant for being precise with my interpretation of the laws of the game. I never took a player out for mismatched sliders. That is extreme. I'd let players beat each other up if that is what they want. Its whatever they want. If they want technology fine. I don't think they want needless interruption of the game to arbitrate a call. There is enough theatrics already.

I love your last two lines. Wish all officials felt that way.

• 4 months later...

MARCH 6, 2011

FIFA seeks goal-line technology by 2014

Associated Press

NEWPORT, Wales -- FIFA president Sepp Blatter said he would welcome the use of goal-line technology at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil if a suitable system can be found.

Ten systems failed to meet FIFA's requirements when they were tested last month, but soccer's rule-making body agreed Saturday to extend trials for another year.

"Goal-line technology helps referees," Blatter said after the meeting of the International Football Association board.

Blatter has reversed his opposition to high-tech aids for referees, citing the failure to award a goal to England despite the ball clearly crossing the line in a late-round match against Germany at the 2010 World Cup. He has called it a "blatant ... and immense error."

The goal would have tied the match at 2-2, but Germany went on to win 4-1.

In a bid to eradicate such errors at the 2014 tournament, the International Football Association Board said more tests will take place in games rather than being conducted at FIFA House in Zurich.

A decision on goal-line technology is expected in March 2012. Blatter hopes more technology tests, which will take place in match conditions, will find a system capable of ruling on disputed goals within a second and provide accuracy.

"We will go on with the technical experiments and then to bring back this item to the IFAB meeting next year in London, and then a final decision will be taken," Blatter said. "If it works definitely, the board will say yes to the technology. And if the board says yes, then there is no problem, then there should be no problem to have it in 2014.

"I have to restrict my natural optimism and come a little bit back because the tests we have had so far are not conclusive."

The English Football Association, which holds one of the eight IFAB votes, was unhappy that the testing was only extended.

"It's not perfect because we wanted to get the principle of goal-line technology adopted," said Alex Horne, the FA general secretary. "Given where we were last year, when it got thrown out, that was my worst fear that it would happen again.

"My preferred position was we accept the principle and wait for the technology to prove itself. We are now in the position where they want to look at the technology in different environments and then we will make a decision in March next year. That's why next year's meeting will be so important."

The IFAB has approved the use of two additional referees' assistants at the 2012 European Championship in Poland and Ukraine following successful tests based on UEFA president Michel Platini's five-official system in the Europa League.

The five-official system could also be used at the World Cup, Blatter said.

"It is with a lot of optimism that we will have additional referees for 2014," Blatter said.

In a ruling that will displease some soccer teams that play in cold conditions, IFAB banned players from wearing neck-warming snoods. The ban takes effect immediately.

"There was not even a discussion because this is not part of the uniform and it can be dangerous," Blatter said.

The IFAB also decided to approve experiments in South America for referees to use vanishing spray to mark where defensive walls stand.

In another change from July, referees were told to stop play if a stray object, including an extra ball or animal, appear on the pitch. In 2009, Darren Bent scored for Sunderland against Liverpool when the ball deflected in off a beach ball.

IFAB is a 125-year-old body comprising officials from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, plus FIFA representing the other 204 soccer nations and referees, coaches and players worldwide.

Each British member has one vote, FIFA has four and a proposed new rule needs six votes to be passed.

MARCH 6, 2011

FIFA seeks goal-line technology by 2014

Associated Press

NEWPORT, Wales -- FIFA president Sepp Blatter said he would welcome the use of goal-line technology at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil if a suitable system can be found.

Ten systems failed to meet FIFA's requirements when they were tested last month, but soccer's rule-making body agreed Saturday to extend trials for another year.

"Goal-line technology helps referees," Blatter said after the meeting of the International Football Association board.

Blatter has reversed his opposition to high-tech aids for referees, citing the failure to award a goal to England despite the ball clearly crossing the line in a late-round match against Germany at the 2010 World Cup. He has called it a "blatant ... and immense error."

The goal would have tied the match at 2-2, but Germany went on to win 4-1.

In a bid to eradicate such errors at the 2014 tournament, the International Football Association Board said more tests will take place in games rather than being conducted at FIFA House in Zurich.

A decision on goal-line technology is expected in March 2012. Blatter hopes more technology tests, which will take place in match conditions, will find a system capable of ruling on disputed goals within a second and provide accuracy.

"We will go on with the technical experiments and then to bring back this item to the IFAB meeting next year in London, and then a final decision will be taken," Blatter said. "If it works definitely, the board will say yes to the technology. And if the board says yes, then there is no problem, then there should be no problem to have it in 2014.

"I have to restrict my natural optimism and come a little bit back because the tests we have had so far are not conclusive."

The English Football Association, which holds one of the eight IFAB votes, was unhappy that the testing was only extended.

"It's not perfect because we wanted to get the principle of goal-line technology adopted," said Alex Horne, the FA general secretary. "Given where we were last year, when it got thrown out, that was my worst fear that it would happen again.

"My preferred position was we accept the principle and wait for the technology to prove itself. We are now in the position where they want to look at the technology in different environments and then we will make a decision in March next year. That's why next year's meeting will be so important."

The IFAB has approved the use of two additional referees' assistants at the 2012 European Championship in Poland and Ukraine following successful tests based on UEFA president Michel Platini's five-official system in the Europa League.

The five-official system could also be used at the World Cup, Blatter said.

"It is with a lot of optimism that we will have additional referees for 2014," Blatter said.

In a ruling that will displease some soccer teams that play in cold conditions, IFAB banned players from wearing neck-warming snoods. The ban takes effect immediately.

"There was not even a discussion because this is not part of the uniform and it can be dangerous," Blatter said.

The IFAB also decided to approve experiments in South America for referees to use vanishing spray to mark where defensive walls stand.

In another change from July, referees were told to stop play if a stray object, including an extra ball or animal, appear on the pitch. In 2009, Darren Bent scored for Sunderland against Liverpool when the ball deflected in off a beach ball.

IFAB is a 125-year-old body comprising officials from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, plus FIFA representing the other 204 soccer nations and referees, coaches and players worldwide.

Each British member has one vote, FIFA has four and a proposed new rule needs six votes to be passed.

What we see at the WC in the manner of advanced technology or 6 officials probably wont ever be seen at the HS level, at least not in TN.

Also, IFAB has no members from the Americas; North, Latin or South. At the end of the day, its politics.

This ref must have attended one of socref's seminars.

A Toast to the Laws of the Game

I'm glad you give me enough credit to hold a seminar. In reading this article, which someone put on my chair at work, I noticed the following:

"The ejection -- automatic for a player who attacks anyone on the field -- angered Dorchester's players, who complained in vain to the referee. Two more visiting players ended up being sent off in the final 10 minutes for unrelated incidents, leaving the club with only eight players at the final whistle."

Sounds like the game went into the toilet after that. As with anything on the field, the player had options: 1) do nothing 2) say something and let someone else do something 3) dispose of the streaker without a "a thudding, neck-high tackle".

Maybe Option 3 was his only choice in his mind, since if he went any lower, people might have thought the wrong idea.

In any event, the ref probably thought it was violent enough to warrant a red card, which is allowable in this case if violence was used. It isn't a foul because the streaker isn't a player. The violent conduct sanction can be given to a player or substitute for action against a player (same team as well), substitute, bench staff, fan (yes the ref will protect you CC) or any other action where violence is used within his jurisdiction (parking lot as well - but no card shown). If the player kicked a dog that ran on the field, he gets a red card as well as probably prosecution.

Edited by socref1

WOw...Could it be???? 50 yards from the call, 30 yards from the end line? Do you think the linesman made the right call? Could this be the first time this has happened? Apparently this just may be some big plan to invalidate SocRefs comments....

Updated: March 14, 2011, 2:39 PM ET

Premier League could host goal-line test

EmailPrintComments

Associated Press

LONDON -- Goal-line technology could be coming to the Premier League next season, with Hawk-Eye hoping to test its system during top-level matches for the first time.

But with soccer's rules-making body yet to allow referees to consult high-tech aids, the trials and results will remain secret.

[+] Enlarge

Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Replays showed Frank Lampard of England's shot crossed the goal line against Germany in the World Cup -- but it was ruled no goal.

Hawk-Eye founder Paul Hawkins also is concerned that if his system contradicted a ruling on a disputed goal and the results were made public, the referee would be undermined.

The sport moved closer to adopting goal-line technology earlier this month after the International Football Association Board approved another year of testing and FIFA president Sepp Blatter declared that it "helps referees."

Hawk-Eye didn't participate in previous tests because they weren't conducted in stadium conditions.

Blatter accepts that future tests will have to take place in stadiums and has identified England as a likely location.

And Hawkins, whose company was sold to electronics giant Sony Corp. last week, plans to speak to FIFA in the next week to gain approval for further testing.

"We've got to find a stadium to put the tests in," Hawkins told The Associated Press. "We also need to check in advance what is wanted, testing-wise. I expect there will be a contractual commitment that we don't report the information from the tests so we don't undermine the officials if there is a controversial goal. Just at the time when we are testing technology that will hopefully help officials in the future, we don't want Hawk-Eye showing they are wrong."

Hawk-Eye's ball-tracking technology, which achieved by positioning cameras around the stadium, already has been successfully deployed in tennis and cricket.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

What we see at the WC in the manner of advanced technology or 6 officials probably wont ever be seen at the HS level, at least not in TN.

Also, IFAB has no members from the Americas; North, Latin or South. At the end of the day, its politics.

Huh? Thanks for the clarity that HS soccer won't see advanced technology. I will keep holding out hope for instant replay in HS football, too. Oh, and can't wait for Hawkeye in HS tennis.

And, of course, it is all about politics. We wouldn't want our officials being shown up by a HD camera, would we? Appearance is more important than the correct call to some.

Huh? Thanks for the clarity that HS soccer won't see advanced technology. I will keep holding out hope for instant replay in HS football, too. Oh, and can't wait for Hawkeye in HS tennis.

And, of course, it is all about politics. We wouldn't want our officials being shown up by a HD camera, would we? Appearance is more important than the correct call to some.

Exactly.

Authority is more cherished that reality