Week 3

MVM

SD 1 SM 0

I must say the SD players and coaches should take the keeper out for a nice dinner. She stopped some good shots tonight. It was a great game with a good crowd.

GPS 1 ND 0

Smegle glad you brought up our keeper. While everyone talks about the GPS keeper (and rightly so, she's good). Our keeper gets over looked. She is the keeper for a D-1 premiere league team from Chatt town and we are glad to have her in our goal.

Good luck to the Signal girls for the rest of the season. I know you have some tough games on the horizon.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have th right teams on the list, but I might juggle the order based on what I have seen thus far.

1..Baylor - until someone breaks the spell. They ar mor versatile and dagerous than ever without Thomas and are playing more like a team.

2..Soddy Daisy - too good to ignore and getting stronger. They could be the ones to topple Baylor.

3..Fighting Leprechauns - physical and scrappy, creative

4..CCS - Lots of depth and drive

5..Signal Mtn - coming together well, strong individual players and will get better as they gain confidence

6..GPS - usually one of the best strategic teams, not seeing it this year, unorganized and quick to panic

7..Cleveland - haven't seen them yet

8..McMinn Co. - haven't seen them yet

9..E. Hamilton - haven't seen them yet

10..The Wah/Hixson - only seen them once, disappointed

CCS gets the win over McMinn 2-1 Good Job both teams.....:popcorneater: .

GPS 1 ND 0

Smegle glad you brought up our keeper. While everyone talks about the GPS keeper (and rightly so, she's good). Our keeper gets over looked. She is the keeper for a D-1 premiere league team from Chatt town and we are glad to have her in our goal.

Good luck to the Signal girls for the rest of the season. I know you have some tough games on the horizon.

I was hoping to see just how good Simone Busby (keeper) for GPS was, but ND seems to be struggling right now offensively and didn't see a lot of great things from her since she wasn't challenged very much during the ND-GPS game...Looking at the fact that SD only won 1-0 over Signal Mountain, makes that game next Tuesday (ND v SM)to be a real challenge for the Irish to stay in MVMs top 5...

D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

I was hoping to see just how good Simone Busby (keeper) for GPS was, but ND seems to be struggling right now offensively and didn't see a lot of great things from her since she wasn't challenged very much during the ND-GPS game...Looking at the fact that SD only won 1-0 over Signal Mountain, makes that game next Tuesday (ND v SM)to be a real challenge for the Irish to stay in MVMs top 5...

D

I didn't see the NDvGPS game, but i did get some scouting from a friend. He said that he felt ND had better control in the midfield and actually in the central part of the red zone, but that GPS was better in the red zone corners - and ND kept driving wide. He felt ND was beating central defense and should have chanced shots from the center 18 more often. Keeper had great hands when the shots did come. Scout said GPS played very direct and lost too many 50/50 balls but agreed with Champ that ND offense was too predicatable to capitalize. In the past, GPS has impressed me at mid and been one of the best posession teams on the pitch. Anyone have feedback on what changed? New coach? Graduated players? I have been watching them, thinking of where to send my daughter in 2.

I didn't see the NDvGPS game, but i did get some scouting from a friend. He said that he felt ND had better control in the midfield and actually in the central part of the red zone, but that GPS was better in the red zone corners - and ND kept driving wide. He felt ND was beating central defense and should have chanced shots from the center 18 more often. Keeper had great hands when the shots did come. Scout said GPS played very direct and lost too many 50/50 balls but agreed with Champ that ND offense was too predicatable to capitalize. In the past, GPS has impressed me at mid and been one of the best posession teams on the pitch. Anyone have feedback on what changed? New coach? Graduated players? I have been watching them, thinking of where to send my daughter in 2.

Wow - the silence is deafening from the GPS camp. I guess that says it all. Looks like if we choose to go private, we should re-rank the soccer prospects.

Wow - the silence is deafening from the GPS camp. I guess that says it all. Looks like if we choose to go private, we should re-rank the soccer prospects.

Not sure why you would expect a response from the GPS camp on a ND message board... :)

I'm not a GPS parent, and I don't see many post on here. Here's an article from the game, which may answer some of your questions.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/sep/10/young-bruisers-slip-past-notre-dame/

I wouldn't say the GPS has a new coach. I think tis is his 3rd or 4th year.

As far as grauduated players, it seems so. According to the article, GPS played 5 freshamn for the entire game. That's half of the field players. Article also says GPS has 12 freshmen on a 23 player roster.

As far as something changing from GPS being on of the best possession teams on the pitch...it sounds like both coaches and the reporter agree nothing has changed:

"According to GPS coach Dave Barrueta, playing possession in a soccer game isn’t always the best way to play, but when it works it could have good results.

Such was the case Thursday afternoon in the Bruisers’ 1-0 victory over Notre Dame. GPS controlled the ball for most of the game, finally breaking through with a goal by freshman Katie Morgan in the second half.

Baruetta was equally impressed by the performances of his freshmen — five of whom played the entire game. He has 12 ninth-graders on a 23-player roster.

“They’re understanding the way we want to play,†he noted. “We teach them to play intelligently and not just for results. Today they were able to build their way into the game properly."

“I really think they lulled us to sleep with their possession,†Notre Dame coach Jim Schermerhorn said. “We talked about it at the half, but we didn’t pressure.

As far as choosing where to send your daughter, I doubt you need a message board to tell you that GPS is the best academic school in Chattanooga. Also, it seems Coach Barrueta has an impressive track record with placing girls in college soccer programs if that is important to you.

As far as choosing where to send your daughter, I doubt you need a message board to tell you that GPS is the best academic school in Chattanooga. Also, it seems Coach Barrueta has an impressive track record with placing girls in college soccer programs if that is important to you.

Coach Barrueta certainly does try to help his girls, but Club Soccer will have a much greater influence than High School soccer in finding a college for soccer.

As for GPS being "best academic school in Chattanooga", I don't think there's an article out there to back that up. Yes, GPS is very good, but singling it out above others like Baylor is a stretch. No one should choose a school based on soccer, whether college or high school. There are much greater considerations to factor than soccer or any sport for that matter.

True how True.

In as far as girls soccer, I agree. Football, Basketball & even baseball I would have to say that my play a large consideration but girl's soccer? If someone is telling you that has an influence into college recruiting you drank some of Rev Jone's Kool-Aid my friend.

Edited by Canesoverhere

Coach Barrueta certainly does try to help his girls, but Club Soccer will have a much greater influence than High School soccer in finding a college for soccer.

As for GPS being "best academic school in Chattanooga", I don't think there's an article out there to back that up. Yes, GPS is very good, but singling it out above others like Baylor is a stretch. No one should choose a school based on soccer, whether college or high school. There are much greater considerations to factor than soccer or any sport for that matter.

OK - I am not from here, but in the last 3 years I have seen the rivalry between GPS/McCallie and Baylor. I hate to do this to you Futbal, but I think I would have to go with CP7 on this one. While I am unsure as to whether we will be able to swing for 3 kids in private school, if we do devote the cash and choose strictly based on academics, all signs point to GPS/McCallie. In moving here, we were given a lot of info and advice from placement specialtists, colleagues, and realtors. All ranked the three like this: GPS, McCallie, Baylor. I am not saying that should be the only criteria, in fact, I know of 2 friends whose children left GPS because it was too rigorous and moved to Baylor. I have 2 children (daughter and a son) who I feel would thrive in that, but one who would pressure herself too much.

But back to soccer - can anyone give any more details on college placement help from GPS and Baylor? Not really looking for D1 (really would like my kids to remain to keep th student in front of athlete) - but good academic schools.

OK - I am not from here, but in the last 3 years I have seen the rivalry between GPS/McCallie and Baylor. I hate to do this to you Futbal, but I think I would have to go with CP7 on this one. While I am unsure as to whether we will be able to swing for 3 kids in private school, if we do devote the cash and choose strictly based on academics, all signs point to GPS/McCallie. In moving here, we were given a lot of info and advice from placement specialtists, colleagues, and realtors. All ranked the three like this: GPS, McCallie, Baylor. I am not saying that should be the only criteria, in fact, I know of 2 friends whose children left GPS because it was too rigorous and moved to Baylor. I have 2 children (daughter and a son) who I feel would thrive in that, but one who would pressure herself too much.

But back to soccer - can anyone give any more details on college placement help from GPS and Baylor? Not really looking for D1 (really would like my kids to remain to keep th student in front of athlete) - but good academic schools.

Actually trying to point you in the right direction. There are other threads on this. Look over the past year.

3 children in the same private school? Negotiate a price. 2 at the price of 3 is better than 0 at $0...Everybody is hurting in today's economy.

Edited by Canesoverhere

Ok, I'm going to bend a bit here. First off, they are all very good schools. It may be that Baylor accepts a broader range of academic student than GPS but all these schools are top notch in meeting the needs of academically minded student-athletes. Just as someone shouldn't choose a school based on soccer, don't choose a school only on any certain reputation, scholastic or otherwise. These schools are all very different. Some kids will thrive in any of them, some kids won't. There is no right answer and you can tell this by seeing children from the same family in different schools. The private schools may offer more opportunity (hence the $$) but a kid who wants to succeed will do well wherever.

In the end, the parents are much more important than the school. I'll stop here and get back to soccer.

Edited by FutbalFan