Farragut Offense

Former44

I truly believe Farragut would be better served in more of a West Coast look with two backs beside the quarterback. Farragut has used two backs in the past with Purty and Hudson, as well as Sterling and Harper. I would like to see Johnson/Perez splitting carries along with #41 Freeman. I might also use #3 Hudson as well, but primarily as a blocker for Johnson/Perez.

1) Perez needs to face the line of scrimmage. He gets way too many of his minimal touches on the Jet Sweep, rather than getting an opportunity to face and survey the defense. This kid is a homerun threat, and he is underutilized. His lack of carries is hurting the team.

2) The defense would not only have to deal with Freeman as a blocker, but they would have to acknowledge him as a running threat. Deception is a good thing. The more thinking the defense has to do the better. Freeman clearly demonstrated against West that he is physical, and could develop into a capable runner.

3) The additional running threat would make Rule more effective. Not only would he have an occasional lead blocker, but it would create greater misdirection opportunities.

Although this formation would eliminate the four wide receiver set, Farragut could still go balanced with three wides, or unbalanced with two wides. Remember, the additional back could also go out on routes, as well as provide a dump off in the flat.

Last year Farragut had Van Dyne, Allen, Evans, and Urevick. Running four wides was certainly justified. However, this year Farragut does not have four exceptional receivers, and current personnel could be better utilized in my opinion.

You have to throw the ball in this offense to help setup the run. What teams have been doing is putting 8 to 9 in the box to stop the run so you are going to have to throw the ball and Perez can help there with Urevick that is about all they got a receiver. Johnson and Perez is the best a running back but with the cast on Johnson hand don't help much there for catching the ball. Farragut is used to having a few good receiver and good tightend that can catch to open up the run.

I truly believe Farragut would be better served in more of a West Coast look with two backs beside the quarterback. Farragut has used two backs in the past with Purty and Hudson, as well as Sterling and Harper. I would like to see Johnson/Perez splitting carries along with #41 Freeman. I might also use #3 Hudson as well, but primarily as a blocker for Johnson/Perez.

1) Perez needs to face the line of scrimmage. He gets way too many of his minimal touches on the Jet Sweep, rather than getting an opportunity to face and survey the defense. This kid is a homerun threat, and he is underutilized. His lack of carries is hurting the team.

2) The defense would not only have to deal with Freeman as a blocker, but they would have to acknowledge him as a running threat. Deception is a good thing. The more thinking the defense has to do the better. Freeman clearly demonstrated against West that he is physical, and could develop into a capable runner.

3) The additional running threat would make Rule more effective. Not only would he have an occasional lead blocker, but it would create greater misdirection opportunities.

Although this formation would eliminate the four wide receiver set, Farragut could still go balanced with three wides, or unbalanced with two wides. Remember, the additional back could also go out on routes, as well as provide a dump off in the flat.

Last year Farragut had Van Dyne, Allen, Evans, and Urevick. Running four wides was certainly justified. However, this year Farragut does not have four exceptional receivers, and current personnel could be better utilized in my o

pinion.

I hope Courtney looks at these posts. You are right on. Perez, Johnson & Freeman should be running the ground game and put Hudson more on defense. I believe the trio would add 2-3 TDs a game. But unfortunately I think we will see at the Riverdale game the same predictable offense with Hudson as the main back with his usual fumbles. (I think he had 2 or 3 in the West game) It seems the only thing that changes with Courtney is the team they play. I wonder what this team could do with a coach like Quales and his inovative game plan.

Don't get me wrong, Courtney is a good coach with top skill players (Purty, Van Dyne & Browning). He will get you in the playoffs. But you need to do things a little different when you play the same team that beat you the first time or you will lose again.

Last year Farragut had Van Dyne, Allen, Evans, and Urevick. Running four wides was certainly justified. However, this year Farragut does not have four exceptional receivers, and current personnel could be better utilized in my o

pinion.

I hope Courtney looks at these posts. You are right on. Perez, Johnson & Freeman should be running the ground game and put Hudson more on defense. I believe the trio would add 2-3 TDs a game. But unfortunately I think we will see at the Riverdale game the same predictable offense with Hudson as the main back with his usual fumbles. (I think he had 2 or 3 in the West game) It seems the only thing that changes with Courtney is the team they play. I wonder what this team could do with a coach like Quales and his inovative game plan.

Don't get me wrong, Courtney is a good coach with top skill players (Purty, Van Dyne & Browning). He will get you in the playoffs. But you need to do things a little different when you play the same team that beat you the first time or you will lose again.

I thought Freeman ran very hard against West, but I think you have to consider his carries were on the last possession and West's defense was very tired. I agree that Hudson gets too many carries given his fumbling issues. It should be close to the time for Johnson's cast to come off so maybe his role on offense will increase. Perez has been a little disappointing, I guess I was expecting more of an all around utility player from him, kinda like Bush when he was at USC. He hasn't made any plays that I can remember in the passing game. I'm surprised that they don't throw to him from out of the backfield. Rule can be a real weapon running the ball, but until he proves he can be consistent throwing it teams will continue to stack the box make running the ball difficult. It appears Farrgut is using more TE sets than I've seen in the past.

I thought Freeman ran very hard against West, but I think you have to consider his carries were on the last possession and West's defense was very tired. I agree that Hudson gets too many carries given his fumbling issues. It should be close to the time for Johnson's cast to come off so maybe his role on offense will increase. Perez has been a little disappointing, I guess I was expecting more of an all around utility player from him, kinda like Bush when he was at USC. He hasn't made any plays that I can remember in the passing game. I'm surprised that they don't throw to him from out of the backfield. Rule can be a real weapon running the ball, but until he proves he can be consistent throwing it teams will continue to stack the box make running the ball difficult. It appears Farrgut is using more TE sets than I've seen in the past.

does farragut have any other QB's that can really throw the ball around, like AC or CAK..

does farragut have any other QB's that can really throw the ball around, like AC or CAK..

No not like those guys can. Farragut pretty much accounts on there QB it seems to me. If you can keep them from getting outside you got them because he is not the best passer at all. Farraguts defense is o.k. can pass on them and not much of a pass rush either West helped them out alot last Thursday with all the fumbles at the wrong time and wrong side of the field to. Farragut will need to change there defense from the 3-5-3 this week against Riverdale, Maryville, and Bearden LB's not fast enough and the down three are not strong and quick enough to handle these teams.

Edited by allvolfan1

They have a sophomore, Jonathan King, that is also their kicker. He came in late in the West game, threw

one pass, and it was a beauty. If he can pass like that all the time I would really like to see get more reps at quarterback. Same for Freeman......came in late in the West game and ran very well. Would like to see him get more reps also.

King no doubt has the best arm on the team, throws a really pretty ball, but he can't run the ball. In order for this offense to run as intended the QB needs to be able to run the ball, a la Tebow. Farragut did well with Browning for a couple of years only because he was so good at throwing. From what little I've seen of the freshman QB, he may have both qualities.

You have to throw the ball in this offense to help setup the run.

That is positively ridiculous. You don't have to do anything! If you're winning the battle at the line of scrimmage, you don't have to throw the ball at all! I don't suppose you saw the second half Ooltewah playoff game last year. Did you happen to see Perez and Johnson run the Wild Admiral against Oak Ridge? Do you think that the Oak Ridge defense was concerned about Perez throwing the football? Farragut marched easily down the field without a single pass.

You don't have to do anything to set up the run. Although the spread was designed to create mismatches all over the field, it's principal function is to create advantages in the running game. Why do you think spread teams, particularly those with mobile quarterbacks, use the wide linemen splits? It certainly isn't to provide better protection against the pass rush. It is to create running/cut back lanes in the running game. This is particularly true in the modern era of aggressive defenses and zone blocking.

Incidentally, where in my post did I indicated that Farragut should discontinue the pass? Did you actually read my post?

What teams have been doing is putting 8 to 9 in the box to stop the run so you are going to have to throw the ball...

Here you essentially validate my point. First of all, one of the primary reasons spread teams "spread" their receivers from sideline to sideline is to draw potential tacklers out of "the box". If, as you say, teams are putting additional players in the box even with the threat of single coverage on the perimeter, then I would much rather have a lead blocker/runner who could get a hat on the additional defender. He could also serve as a receiver, and max protect against the blitz in the passing game.

I agree to a point. However, Freeman was at TB for more than the last series. Watch the playback. You are correct that the West defense was tired. At the same time, Freeman was not running behind the starting O-line. Fricks was in at center, but I believe he was the only starter.

As for Perez, my disappointment comes from how the coaches are using him. He was outstanding in the backfield against Oak Ridge because he could survey the defense pre and post snap, a luxury he never has running full out and parallel to the line on the Jet sweep. Perez will never get enough touches via the pass. It is pretty clear at this point that will not happen.

I have nothing but respect for Hudson, but he is not a tailback. Although he had a couple of good runs against West, he cannot break it. Where Perez and Johnson can take it to the house, Hudson will get dragged down from behind. This means the offense will always need additional plays to score, and that leaves more opportunity for the defense to make a play. The fumbling problem speaks for itself.

Just an observation, Nebraska ran the zone read and midline option all over Washington Saturday against 8 in the box. It's all about getting a hat on a hat and executing, not just alignment.

Edited by Former44

That was the worst OR team they have ever had (sorry to OR fans) they had no not one play maker on the team and they really should have won and yes they put 8 in the box. Last year OWL's game was with out there big man #36 so Farragut should have won with what they had. You will see this Friday night with Riverdale then Maryville wait and see. Nice to see you break everything down all nice on paper it looks good for that on paper the field it is a little different former44.